Pack Choice?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ragingun

Re: Pack Choice?

Unread postby Ragingun » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:15 am

Lots of good opinions here. A good quality pack is a must IMO. I've messed with crappy low end packs and they are either really loud, not enough space or not enough correctly spaced areas, or zippers break etc.

I have a Badlands Recon pack. The things that are important to me: Rain proof, this back has the built in rain cover; ability to carry 2 rifles for coyote hunting and carry a bow as well; water bladder just in case although I have yet to use it; waste belt, this one has the retractable waste belt that tucks away when not in use, love it; it has bed roll straps that work awesome strapping a jack or pair of bibs to and the main compartment is large enough to accommodate the bibs or jacket as well; and as mentioned before zippers, can't beat Badlands quality all around but their zippers are really easy to pull even with gloves on and are built like tanks. I've owned a few other high end packs including Tenzing and Badlands hands down takes the cake.

I would prefer to have a silent model as well like the Stealth that they currently offer but I don't like the layout of it. I have to go really slow with the zippers so I don't create any noise is my only complaint but that is worth putting up with to get the rest of the package.

To have enough room for all your belongings including outer layers you need at least a 2,000ci pack.

Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:22 am

I have the Kuiu Icon Pro and I like it. I looked at higher end packs but for my price point, functionality, and what I wanted to use it for I chose the Kuiu.

I use it mainly for antelope and mule deer day hunts but have also strapped a Lone Wolf and sticks to it. The frame and padded belt and shoulder straps make carrying so much easier as the weight is distributed well and transferred to your hips.

The picture below is the 3200 bag with a Cabela's Wooltimate jacket strapped to the outside. I have the 1850 bag too and it is o.k. for warmer weather hunts when you don't need to carry extra clothes, but if you go with a Kuiu I would recommend the 3200 or 5200 bags (you can compress the larger bags if the extra space isn't needed).

You can carry bags of meat between the bag and frame or get a meat shelf (for what I do I just put meat in a contractor garbage bag and put it between the pack and frame).

You can put extra clothes in the bag or strap it to the outside.

In your case, you could easily strap a crossbow to the pack. Rifles and vertical bows can be strapped to the pack also.

After hunting out west and quartering and packing animals out, there is no way I will drag another deer more than a few hundred yards if the state I am hunting allows quartering in the field. Even If I had to make two trips to pack an animal out on my back it would be way better than dragging an animal 1/2 mile or more.

I think a lot of the higher end packs are out of your price range at least for new ones. You might want to check the classifieds on sites like Rokslide, Eastmans, On Your Own Adventures, etc. and you can find used packs at very reasonable prices.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:23 am

I just ordered a Horn Hunter main beam XL for an elk hunt. The main beam looks good - similar to the Badlands 2200. Got it for $170 - it was a cream of the crop pack 7 years ago. Cannot justify $500+ for a pack if I'm not gonna use it a lot.

I tried on the TZ 3000 and found it to be comfortable and not too large.

I use a cheap backpack when I think I need to bring everything - finding that a fanny pack is still best for me - knife, haul rope, bottle of water, snack bar, and license/keys/wallet. GPS around neck, milk weed in pocket. Most stuff we carry isn't a necessity when doing a 4 hr hunt.
Turkeyslayer7

Unread postby Turkeyslayer7 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:06 am

I have used a number of packs over the years. The Sitka tool box is my favorite at the moment. I wouldn’t pack meat with it but I have a eberlestock that I leave in the truck for that. The tool box can carry all my gear, bow and can carry a stand and sticks great. They run 250-300 new I got mine for less then 200 on archerytalk. The main compartment has zippers but you can leave it unzipped and the lid keeps everything covered. Check it out it’s a great bag.
Blinginpse

Unread postby Blinginpse » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:11 am

The more weight you pack on your back the more it's going to sag weighing in your shoulders if u cover a lot it will ride your shoulders down in time and you'll notice it. I can't advise u on any pack but I would recommend a pack with some type of frame
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:02 am

Get an Alice pack. It has a light frame tons of storage and a lot cheaper than brand names.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”