Do does seek out dominant bucks during the rut.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Redman232

Re: Do does seek out dominant bucks during the rut.

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:09 am

A couple of the properties I hunt are adjacent to no hunting zones. There are always old does around that cycle early (October 15-25). I have only seen mature bucks chasing/tending these does at this early time period. I've always suspected either the older bucks know exactly where these older does are that cycle early or the old does know where to find the big boys at.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:21 am

Dewey wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:I’ve seen it a few times during peak rut. I’ve called in lone does with buck grunts

I have also had mature does come in to buck grunts. Seems the old gals were looking for love. :shifty:

I've done the same thing, they certainly take notice and have a look around.
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:45 am

headgear wrote:I will say yes they do, I have seen this many times. I think, like mentioned above this happens more where there is less competition for does, in the bigwoods the mature does will group up and travel together to make for more efficient breeding. One time heading into a bedding area I cut a big set a track and was pretty excited about that morning hunt. Suddenly I see 3 deer with their head down sniffing and moving kind of fast. Well it ended up being 3 mature does and they were on the trail of the buck tracks I cut, they hit my trail and froze up for a few minutes but then continues on their way, maybe a freak accident but I think they could have been trailing the buck. Dozens of times I see mature does grouped up during the rut (no fawns) and they are on the move. Now I doubt they always trailing a buck but they could be out looking for one or at the very least leaving a nice trail for any mature buck to pick up later that day/night. I also see most of my early rut action in buck bedding areas, certainly makes you wonder if they show up knowing the bucks will be there or they seek them out. Life in the bigwoods might be too easy for these big mature bucks, very little competition and does making life even easier for them. I have maybe 50+ stories of big bucks being shot with 3 or more does with them, this is common up here. It might not always be the does seeking out bucks but they certainly seem to seek each other out when the time is right. I doubt you see this much in higher population areas, or it would be extremely rare because there are enough older bucks and deer in general to get the job done and we all hear the stories of one doe with 10 buck behind her.

Now this is 25+ years of hunting bigwoods so its not something you see every year but I certainly believe in in and witnessed some things.

I've seen this a few times myself even where I hunt here in farm country.
Much more 15 years ago when we had a 50% higher deer population but a poorer buck doe ratio, especially mature buck to doe ratio.
Seems to always be the older does doing the wandering.

Also have witnessed a few "Herd Bull" bucks tending multiple older adult does at once. Always a big mature buck.
This scenario only seems to happen though when there is only 1 big mature buck in the area.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:59 am

Boogieman1 wrote:In areas with out of whack sex ratio and age structure the does often have to find the bucks. Scrapes and such are pointless.

Hot does can and will come into rattling. Especially when the the herd sex ratio is out of whack.

Every license here comes with two buck tags. Doe tags are available by lottery only and are zone specific.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:47 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:In areas with out of whack sex ratio and age structure the does often have to find the bucks. Scrapes and such are pointless.

Hot does can and will come into rattling. Especially when the the herd sex ratio is out of whack.

Every license here comes with two buck tags. Doe tags are available by lottery only and are zone specific.

Bob

My opinion is they don't come into the rattling horns for breeding purposes. Deer are curious creatures, and who doesn't like to see a good fight. Young bucks come charging into rattling antlers, what does that say about them?
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:52 am

Interesting replies guys..Thankyou.

Chad
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:19 am

Boogieman1 wrote:My opinion is they don't come into the rattling horns for breeding purposes. Deer are curious creatures, and who doesn't like to see a good fight. Young bucks come charging into rattling antlers, what does that say about them?

When she was field dressed it was abundantly clear that she was in heat and had just been "serviced", if you will.

Bob

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:36 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:My opinion is they don't come into the rattling horns for breeding purposes. Deer are curious creatures, and who doesn't like to see a good fight. Young bucks come charging into rattling antlers, what does that say about them?

When she was field dressed it was abundantly clear that she was in heat and had just been "serviced", if you will.

Bob

Does that mean she wouldn't have came running in if she was not in heat? I'm not following, I've seen the tv shows on perfectly managed south Texas ranches, they clash they horns and deer pour in from everywhere. The onlything I personally have ever rattled in was a pair of fawns so I dunno just my opinion
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:59 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Does that mean she wouldn't have came running in if she was not in heat? I'm not following, I've seen the tv shows on perfectly managed south Texas ranches, they clash they horns and deer pour in from everywhere. The onlything I personally have ever rattled in was a pair of fawns so I dunno just my opinion

It probably means different things to different people.

I believe that the does seek out bucks to be bred when they are ready. I don't know if they seek out the dominant buck in particular though. As the saying goes, there is mister right and then there is mister right now. :lol:

IMO our buck /doe ratio is out of wack due to the tag structure. I don't rattle much as I haven't found it to be particularly effective here.

Bob

Bob

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”