High shoulder shot with rifle

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JonNc

High shoulder shot with rifle

Unread postby JonNc » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:47 am

We all grew up learning to shoot just behind the shoulder. I have taken a few deer with gun by shooting directly in the shoulder taking out both shoulders and lungs. They usually drop right there.

Just wondering what everyone’s preferred shot placement is with gun? High shoulder or behind the shoulder?

Look forward to seeing your input.

headgear
500 Club

Re: High shoulder shot with rifle

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:15 am

The high shoulder shot is actually a spine shot, very deadly but not as big of a kill zone. Of course if you shoot lower and accidentally hit high its not a bad thing, however if you shoot high and miss high you don't get the deer. You will notice below the spine dipping low behind those shoulder blades.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:23 am

Iv heard many guys say a shoulder shot w a rifle is their choice. My grandpa shoots em all in the neck! Seems to be very effective, personally neither are for me.
Last edited by <DK> on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:25 am

I may try it one time thru the shoulder just to let out aggression from being a bowhunter :violin:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:07 am

Doesn't matter if it's gun or bow I always aim behind the shoulder with the goal being to take out both lungs. Never heard of a deer surviving with both lungs deflated. Too far forward and you risk missing the lungs and having a severely wounded deer that could turn into a nightmare tracking. Same goes for high shots above the lungs. No sense putting yourself in that situation on purpose.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:25 am

Dewey wrote:Doesn't matter if it's gun or bow I always aim behind the shoulder with the goal being to take out both lungs. Never heard of a deer surviving with both lungs deflated. Too far forward and you risk missing the lungs and having a severely wounded deer that could turn into a nightmare tracking. Same goes for high shots above the lungs. No sense putting yourself in that situation on purpose.

Same here. It is engrained in my brain and it's automatic. I aim right in the pocket behind the shoulder no matter the weapon. The high shoulder shot with a rifle is DEADLY but it's a small target with little room for error. I'd rather aim center mass right behind the shoulder and be off an inch or two.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:38 am

If it's fairly open terrain or from more than 50 yards I shoot behind the shoulder. If it's thick and close, I don't mind high shoulder or neck shots, they drop in their tracks. You're shooting at a 6-8" target instead of a 12-14" target. A shot thru the rib cage ruins minimal meat, and is my preference. With a hit in the high shoulder you can very well loose most of one whole shoulder.
Islandhunter

Unread postby Islandhunter » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:42 am

I too aim for double lung kill, which may or may not include the heart depending on the angle.
It is my goal to have an ethical kill with as little meat loss as possible.

I’m not a good enough marksman for the neck/spine shots...
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:44 am

flinginairos wrote:
Dewey wrote:Doesn't matter if it's gun or bow I always aim behind the shoulder with the goal being to take out both lungs. Never heard of a deer surviving with both lungs deflated. Too far forward and you risk missing the lungs and having a severely wounded deer that could turn into a nightmare tracking. Same goes for high shots above the lungs. No sense putting yourself in that situation on purpose.

Same here. It is engrained in my brain and it's automatic. I aim right in the pocket behind the shoulder no matter the weapon. The high shoulder shot with a rifle is DEADLY but it's a small target with little room for error. I'd rather aim center mass right behind the shoulder and be off an inch or two.

X3

Shoot every deer aiming for the heart considering exit. Bow and rifle. Rifle I have awful blood trails but my farthest track was 50-60 yards.

DK, my buck last year was shot through the shoulder due to the angle of it. It was a nice feeling knowing that shoulder had no chance :mrgreen: still got the heart as well
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:59 am

I don't shoot shoulder if I can help it. Destroys too much meat. I absolutely love shoulder roast.

Emrah
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:17 am

I was raised to take out 1 shoulder - usually the opposing shoulder if possible. They go nowhere but down.

In reality, I take the first decent shot presented - aiming for the heart/lung area - bones aren't usually an issue with a rifle and you can surgically shoot it if you know exactly where it hits (deer isn't gonna jump the string, etc.)
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:15 am

Wastes more meat...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:21 am

I kinda depends on the situation. If I got space for the deer to possibly death run 50-100yards I just go in the pocket behind shoulder. If the deer is on a boundary I can't cross I prefer slightly quartering to me where I an point the front shoulder smashing it and typically exiting 6 to 7 inches behind offside shoulder. Never ever had one take a step when I can get that shot.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:29 am

I like the shoulder roasts too much to shoot there purposely on a broadside deer. I go for center mass of the lungs whether bow or rifle.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
jpsmith270

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:30 am

Jonny wrote:
flinginairos wrote:

X3

Shoot every deer aiming for the heart considering exit. Bow and rifle. Rifle I have awful blood trails but my farthest track was 50-60 yards.

DK, my buck last year was shot through the shoulder due to the angle of it. It was a nice feeling knowing that shoulder had no chance :mrgreen: still got the heart as well

X4

I have never lost a deer by shooting behind the shoulder with any weapon. It is a safe a dependable shot with very little meat destroyed. I have witnessed way too many people losing deer by placing the shot in the shoulder area. You wouldn't choose the area with a bow, so why with anything else?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”