Best choice of deer rifle (T3, A7, x-bolt, 11/111, vanguard, etc)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ashreve93

Re: Best choice of deer rifle (T3, A7, x-bolt, 11/111, vanguard, etc)

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:20 am

Kokes wrote:All great guns...I'd get whichever one shoulders best for you...

Agreed.. try them all out and pick your favorite. If you're not shooting more than 150 yards, basically anything will work.. even the savage axis.

I suggest getting used. My favorite is remington 700 CDL or BDL. Just picked up a BDL 30-06 used for $400. I know this gun is more accurate than I'll ever be. A buddy of mine just bought the CDL in 7mm mag for $1000. His will outshoot mine, but i personally don't believe the extra 600 is worth the difference.. plus mine is a lot lighter. It's all in what you like. I found what i like, it's up to you to find what you like.

It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
Steve Heiting
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/steve.heiting.5

Unread postby Steve Heiting » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:33 am

I've been a Remington fan since I was a kid when I bought an 870 pump shotgun with the proceeds of cutting acres of lawns. I still have that gun. Rifle-wise, I own a Remington 7600 pump in .30-06 and a 700 CDL in 7mm Rem Mag, both of which have served me well.

That said, my son owned a Weatherby Vanguard which was tremendously accurate. He wishes he still owned it. What a rifle for the price. And I have a couple friends who have purchased Tikka rifles that they absolutely love. So, take your time, check out a bunch of rifles to see which one fits you best, and keep your options open. Enjoy the process.

It's been mentioned here already, but don't cheap out on the scope. My 7600 had Tasco and Burris scopes before I put a Leupold on it. The Tasco and Burris were accurate to start, but faded with time. And if you bumped them, God only knew where they would hit. With the Leupold, I've tripped and fallen on the rifle and the zero has never changed. Had I just put a good scope on the 7600 from the start I would have spent less money overall and would have killed a few more deer.

Finally, don't put see-through mounts on the scope. I got rid of mine, as did everybody I know who has ever used them.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:06 am

I personally like the model 70..
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”