Late season strategy for Mature bucks?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

comeback_kid

Late season strategy for Mature bucks?

Unread postby comeback_kid » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:27 pm

Much to my chagrin, so far this season I have not yet harvested a buck. I did get two does though and am thankful for the meat. Due to work commitments I will be out of town from now until mid-December and our season is closed by then and does not open up til Dec. 26th with archery only for bucks. So, my only chance to hunt for the 2-3 mature bucks I am aware of(on 2 different properties) will be last week in December til last week in January.

So, during that time, what do you recommend in terms of how to get within bow range and where exactly to set up at this time of year? I know food is back as a priority for the bucks post-rut. I have not located beds on the one property b/c I just got permission right before season and didn't do much scouting. It's possible in the 10 days before it opens back up again that I could go stomping around looking for beds. Would that be a bad idea at this time of year?

One other wrinkle is that the better of the two properties does not allow any hang and hunts. All stands are pre-set ladders. So, if I wanna set up near a bed, I need to do it in some sort of ground blind as the only way to be mobile on this property is hunting from the ground.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Late season strategy for Mature bucks?

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:00 am

For ground hunting climb into or behind a blown down tree or get just inside some thick cover with heavy stem density. Set up as close to bedding as you can get away with unless it is lightly pressured.

The other property use aerials and topos to select likely bedding and set up. Again, the more pressure there is the closer to bedding you need to be. Anticipate buck to food or buck to doe travel.

Good Luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”