6 year old Wisconsin girl bags buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

6 year old Wisconsin girl bags buck

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:19 am

MEDFORD, Wis. (AP) — A kindergartener from north central Wisconsin is among the first youngsters to bag a buck under the state’s new law that eliminates the state’s minimum hunting age.

Six-year-old Lexie Harris is no stranger to the woods. Her dad, Tyler Harris, has taken her hunting since she was three. But, it wasn’t until Gov. Scott Walker signed the law on Nov. 12 that Lexie could legally shoot a deer. Harris has taught his daughter how to shoot with a youth rifle and has attached a smart phone to the scope to make it easier to see her target.

Harris carried his daughter’s gun to their hunting stand Sunday in Taylor County. He helped her get step up the shot. But, Harris says Lexie is the one who pulled the trigger and shot the 6-point buck.

muskieman

Re: 6 year old Wisconsin girl bags buck

Unread postby muskieman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:22 am

Wait, somethings not right with this story....The media said it would be like the wild west out there with kids shooting their guns at movement, while dad sat in the local saloon.....
Here's today's ray of hope! As a local radio station would say!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:33 am

8-)

Awesome
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:52 am

Sounds like a responsible mentor. Its the irresponsible that I'm worried about, whether or not I should be. I'm not sure.

I feel like their doesnt need to be a minimum age, but I still would like to see every kid take hunters safety before they hunt. If they can pass the class they get their License.
mnswamphunter

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:11 am

I try not to worry about what other people are doing and more about what I am doing.

I have less stress and better results.

I probably would not of taken my kids deer hunting at age 6. But, I did take them fishing for sunfish, chased chipmunks around the yard and trapped mice. They had a great time.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:42 am

muskieman wrote:Wait, somethings not right with this story....The media said it would be like the wild west out there with kids shooting their guns at movement, while dad sat in the local saloon.....

Souchy at Garage logic??
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:27 am

Still not a fan of this law one bit. I like to think I’m a decent kid with good parents. No way would they ever say I was ready for a gun when I was 6. And I had some friends that even at 21, I wouldn’t ever hunt in the same county as them.

Congrats to the hunter. All I’m gonna say about that
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:43 am

Jonny wrote:Still not a fan of this law one bit. I like to think I’m a decent kid with good parents. No way would they ever say I was ready for a gun when I was 6. And I had some friends that even at 21, I wouldn’t ever hunt in the same county as them.

The safest hunter in the woods is a kid sitting next to their father in a stand/blind.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:24 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Jonny wrote:Still not a fan of this law one bit. I like to think I’m a decent kid with good parents. No way would they ever say I was ready for a gun when I was 6. And I had some friends that even at 21, I wouldn’t ever hunt in the same county as them.

The safest hunter in the woods is a kid sitting next to their father in a stand/blind.

I agree. But no way do I trust a kid that age who has no hunters ed that is hunting by themselves.

And unfortunately I bet there are parents who let their kids sit alone this past weekend that really aren’t ready for it.

I still think that they should have to pass hunters ed first. Lots of valuable information there.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:36 am

Jonny wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:

I agree. But no way do I trust a kid that age who has no hunters ed that is hunting by themselves.

And unfortunately I bet there are parents who let their kids sit alone this past weekend that really aren’t ready for it.

I still think that they should have to pass hunters ed first. Lots of valuable information there.

Kids at 6 cant hunt by themselves they require a mentor with them.

I know other kids who were ready at 6 to shoot deer with a bow and gun. ;)
Because you or others weren't ready at a young age why are mine who are ready, penalized?

My son at 11 taught the hunters ed teacher how to track a blood trail. The teacher set up a fake blood trail and the kids were to follow it with a prize. My son pointed out they were following the wrong way because of the splatter direction of the fake blood.......teacher was flabbergasted a young kid would pick up on it but got ticked when my son told him he didn't know what he was doing when he said follow it the direction he instructed anyhow :shock:
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:42 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:

Kids at 6 cant hunt by themselves they require a mentor with them.

I know other kids who were ready at 6 to shoot deer with a bow and gun. ;)
Because you or others weren't ready at a young age why are mine who are ready, penalized?

My son at 11 taught the hunters ed teacher how to track a blood trail. The teacher set up a fake blood trail and the kids were to follow it with a prize. My son pointed out they were following the wrong way because of the splatter direction of the fake blood.......teacher was flabbergasted a young kid would pick up on it but got ticked when my son told him he didn't know what he was doing when he said follow it the direction he instructed anyhow :shock:

I see it as why fix something that wasn’t an issue. Every kid is different, but I still don’t believe any kid should be shooting a gun at age 6.

Just my view on it. Don’t understand why a rule change was needed to fix a problem that wasn’t there
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:09 am

The problem was there, why does 20 some other states ok with youngsters shooting a deer with a mentor present not a problem?

WI recognized their problem and corrected it.

If your kids or others you know aren't ready don't take them hunting. Why are the kids who are ready penalized because of the kids who aren't?
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:03 am

I think it's all in how mature these kids are we have a 18 year old in are party that acts less mature then the 14 year old.. I'm still up in the air on it with a responsible adult I'd feel ok with maybe a 8 yo pulling the trigger but then u see some of the Yahoo's in the woods who you can't trust and there adults :lol:
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:13 am

I have a cousin that shot his first deer a doe at age 7. He killed his first buck this year at age 9. He killed another doe last year at 8. Kid is a really good shot with a rifle and he loves shooting a recurve. His dad, my uncle, has spent a lot of time with him. Nothing wrong hunting that young imo if the parents have them prepared
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:06 pm

creepingdeth wrote:
muskieman wrote:Wait, somethings not right with this story....The media said it would be like the wild west out there with kids shooting their guns at movement, while dad sat in the local saloon.....

Souchy at Garage logic??

Yes sir!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”