Mobile hunters...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Mobile hunters...

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:06 am

Explain your perfect sticks and stand set up... (If you could design your own)

csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Re: Mobile hunters...

Unread postby csoult » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:12 am

Sticks: I love how the XOP sticks lock together it seems to save me a lot of time. I would somehow find a way to lighten them while also adding the double step. If you could lock the sticks into the stand without a strap that would be great.
Stand: The biggest problems I see with my lone wolf is that the seat isn't comfortable, so I would change to a seat similar to the millennium while also making sure that the seat is deep enough. When sitting in a leaning forward tree in my lone wolf I seem to always be sitting on the edge of my seat.
Back Pack Straps: I'm not sure why none of the stand companies provide adequate backpack straps and hip belts, but they don't, and that makes all the difference in the world.
Last edited by csoult on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
BradC36

Unread postby BradC36 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:29 am

A lighter lone wolf stand. One piece cast design that doesn't make any noise. Must have a batwing design to get in any tree. I'm a big fan of the shorter sticks with 2 steps instead of alternating steps. The lock together feature would be great for another way to pack them. The most important things to me when it comes to being mobile is weight, pack-ability, and being able to get into any tree. Quality components is a must and obviously safety is a huge priority. Not having to worry about failure.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:33 am

I don’t even know if this is possible but a set of sticks and a stand that could get you 20-24 feet high and the whole package only weighs 10 pounds. I use the 1 stick method and hunt out of a modified sit and drag. The sit is drag is not to bad but I hate the 1 stick method,it’s just hard. just can’t stand dragging so much gear into the woods.
rutjunkie

Unread postby rutjunkie » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:35 am

I would basically want a lighter alpha size stand and lighter lone wolf sticks. I like how xop stack. I wouldn't need double steps except one stick that would be the last stick (For hanging stand). Hunt comfort seat solves comfort problems for me.
There is only so many Novembers in ones life, make the most of them.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:40 am

There's nothing I would change about the Lone Wolf treestands... only thing I would rather have is a set of sticks that is lighter, only two steps (fixed), and with some kind of rope system, not the buckles...
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:45 am

Ive never had a decent tree stand, so I cant really comment on that much. A comfortable seat is a must.

I wish one of my lone wolf sticks had a double step at the top. Not so much for when Im hanging the stand, but for when Im stepping on and off of it.
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:58 am

Double step....more boot clearance when climbing often times with my LW sticks my boot is barely on the step before it makes contact with the tree...I’ve slipped multiple times.

No moving parts...tired of replacing washers and tightening nuts and bolts.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:19 am

I have an older Alpha and lone wolf sticks.

My only 2 changes would be the seat and steps.

The seat was horrible. I put an XOP on it..slightly better..but I'd love a bit more comfort. I'm still tweaking it and trying to figure out what the issue is and how I can help it..

The steps..I just want a fixed double step on top. I never know exactly how many sticks I'm going. Stepping of the top stick is near impossible with hunting boots on. If I could get both feet on the top step I can get in and out of the stand..I do it now..but 4-6" more of a would be huge. Something I'd like to fix now..

Weight reduction would be nice..

Strap options would be great. Man of us put Molle belts and straps on our stands. The lone wolf wasn't bad...other stand designs can be more difficult to put those on to.

Ive also wondered about adjustable seat height. I really think part of my discomfort of the alpha Spurs from the seat height. Toilets are a good example. Have one at the work place where I can't sit flat footed. Really there's only a few inches difference between it and a regular one..I bet it's be kinda easy to make an adjustable post too..lots of guys say foot rests make a big difference in comfort and that's why...I'm not keen on the options for foot rests..seem cumbersome and clunky so I've never tried them...but might.

That'd be something else to look into maybe either as an accessory or built into the stand.

For me, comfort trumps weight. Physical comfort and mental. Mental being the size/shape etc that makes me "feel" safe.

I'm not into sacrificing everything to shave a few pounds. I rather add a few pounds to have total comfort.

Take my Summit Viper and make it as quiet as the lone wolf and able to get into any tree and I'm happy lol.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:21 am

double step
cw2gsp

Unread postby cw2gsp » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:33 am

Lighter is better for me. I’d sacrifice comfort for weight reduction. The biggest thing I’d like is a better way to stack the sticks and strap them to the stand. I’ve never tried the stick talons maybe something similar?
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:01 am

Sticks:
I love the hawk helium sticks. Now if only they’d stack like the oxp sticks and came with a cam and rope system instead of the strap.

Stand:
I’m currently trying the saddle thing and really liking it but it’s tough to get layers on when it gets cold in the great white north. A light, small, cast aluminum stand with good straps and a comfortable seat would be amazing. I find the xop and lone wolf offerings a tad to big for me.

Cheers!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:01 am

As others have stated a double step would be really nice. More foot clearance on the step, with bigger boots on you really need to pay attention to what you are doing. I'm having a lot of wear issues with my LW steps, going to have to do something about that before next season. I really like the size of the LW alpha, I'm not sure I'd want to go smaller.....never really liked my assault.
rff

Unread postby rff » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:13 am

Repeating many others here but,

Double step that is a tad larger, better backpack straps from factory, and a fast and easy way to stack sticks (in lowest profile possible, ie laying them on side)
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:21 am

Double step, longer spacing between steps. I’m a large guy, not a 6 year old. I like the spacing distance of the xop sticks from the tree. Nice with size 15’s. No moving parts either

For the stand, id like something a bit longer. Hate resting my heels on the edge of the platform.

But after seeing your stand and sticks, you nailed exactly what we are looking for.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”