Mobile hunters...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

comeback_kid

Re: Mobile hunters...

Unread postby comeback_kid » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:18 pm

Double steps

Ropes instead of ratchet straps to eliminate buckles

Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:46 pm

I would say a system that packs compact quickly and quietly is the ticket I guess also putting some time into distribution of the weight to make it feel lighter than it is and carry evenly.
Swamp_donkey

Unread postby Swamp_donkey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:00 pm

Okay I'll agree this is sort of cheating as my ideal setup involves neither stand or sticks.

I hunt with what I'm pretty sure is my ideal setup, i can get into any tree with little hassle, no awkward items, the greatest manuverability and very few things that can make any noise. The basics would be:

- good sized back pack ( I need a decent sized pack to tote around a tree saddle, plus all my normal gear and tree steps. I like a pack size of 2200-2800 cubic inches. I use the bigger pack for longer hunts, hikes, run and gun hunting, if I'm bringing camera and stuff, packing out meat, etc. The smaller pack for more standard or prehung setups. On real quick hunts or short hikes in I will just wear the saddle in if I don't need much and don't need carry in anything but the bow.)

- tree saddle (I use trophyline but that's only because I have them, the aero saddle is just as nice or nicer, just don't have one but several friends have bought them and love them)

- screw in steps (I'll use either the green ameristep screw in steps or the folding Cranford Ezy steps.They are nicer than the ameristep ones but they've become insanely expensive the last couple years, I have one nice set of them I use for run and gun hunts as they're a bit easier to keep silent, and screw in much easier, particularly in hardwoods. Then I use cheaper ones for stands I may leave setup for a short time. I know most of you don't use screw in steps for good reasons snd it can be illegal. Just so happens to work for me, not illegal on most public where I hunt and I never abandon them in trees for any longer than possibly 1 season.)

I never use any platforms, just place screw in pegs around the tree where I hunt from, also I find a stiff shank in the boots I wear helps a lot with standing on pegs during a hunt. I use the muck chore boots with a steel shank but without a steel toe.

I find I cut a whole lot less shooting lanes since I've started with the saddle a few years ago. Because you're so manuverable I feel like I can almost always find lanes. Due to the way you stand in the tree I feel like your profile is a lot easier to disguise than sitting in a stand and my movements very rarely gets picked off.

Finally and most importantly, safety, I feel safer in my tree saddle at all times than anything else aside from a ground blind.
bkraus

Unread postby bkraus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:19 pm

sticks- double step

stand- beef up versa button ( had plastic break on my lone wolf stick), also have sticks some how attach to stand, for example build in lw quiver some how or stick talons. one thing to is I have the lw alpha, and I do not like the bow holder... feels like it is going to fall out easy.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:29 pm

Lone Wolf Assault 2 and Lone Wolf sticks. Make them lighter and switch from cam buckles to a cam rope system like Muddy.Winner winner chicken dinner. Single steps don't bother me. Anything to save weight.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:22 pm

Tandem step sticks with a rope design like muddy. (Quietest design IMO) light so on all day sits its not a burden to add the weight of a pack. Cast or some type of one piece design. Also with a rope system like the muddy bloodsport. Adjustable to fit any tree and narrow when packed so it doesnt snag brush.
Earn what’s never given.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:32 pm

Atleast the comfort of a LW, and as light as possible.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:40 pm

I’d love to see an adjustable seat height to accommodate taller guys. Biggest issue with lw is I feel like I’m sitting on a toilet it’s so low. 30 minutes and my legs are numb.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:11 pm

Dan, what's your perfect stand and sticks combo sir? :whistle: :mrgreen:
JMAR85

Unread postby JMAR85 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:17 pm

I have a set of muddy climbing sticks. I bought them before I came to the beast and I believe there are probably superior sticks out there with the exception of one thing. The rope cam lock system on the sticks is genius in my opinion. It's very quick, and easy. But one thing that really sells it for me is I can easyily do it with one hand (hold onto the tree with my left hand after passing the rope and just pop it in the cam lock system with my right. To accompany my sticks I have a millenium U60 stand. It has its pluses and minuses but one thing it does have is the millennium seat. It is by far the most comfortable stand I've ever sat in and I am a person that needs to be comfortable in stand. Dan I know that any product you design will be far superior to any mobile set up ever made and I would like to purchase one (for the reduced weight especially) but the rope cam lock system on the muddy sticks and the seat on the millennium stand would be missed.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:15 am

It sounds like the rope cam system is the cats but. I’d like to see a better bow holder. A quiver holder would be cool too. My LW steps seem to be wearing out. I’m gonna have to replace the hardware again. I’m only getting a few years out of the washers and bolts on the sticks. Idk if the durability of the hardware can be improved but that would be cool. Or maybe stationary double steps are the way to go. I’ve never used them.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:20 am

Jonny wrote:I’d love to see an adjustable seat height to accommodate taller guys. Biggest issue with lw is I feel like I’m sitting on a toilet it’s so low. 30 minutes and my legs are numb.

Longer straps would be nice too
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:38 am

Stand = 7 pounds, 29 inch by 19/20 inches wide platform.

Sticks = 1.5 pounds. I think you really only need the top step of the top stick to be double sided.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:38 am

I've got a M100U that I love. No more of those little uncomfortable seats. That lounge chair is the way I'm rolling from here on out.

Needs to have a batwing and not a separate mounting bracket - I'm modifying my M100U so I don't need to lug 2 parts around with me - strap the stand directly to the tree.

Platform needs to be big enough to safely stand and stretch, shoot, or pee.

I have welded steel double step sticks, 32 inches, that I see as perfect but heavy at 4# each. They are solid, have large steps for size 12's to stand on. Easy to mount to the tree with the strap and set with a little push.

I'd prefer a 32 inch stick over a shorter one. Fixed double-sided steps, not movable or folding steps.
bones09

Unread postby bones09 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:45 am

I like the alpha and lw sticks. A longer step and strap on the sticks would be nice. A larger v bracket that meets the tree would be nice for both the sticks and the stand.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”