Mobile hunters...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: Mobile hunters...

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:24 am

A decent carry system right out of the factory. Better yet partner with a reputable backpack company like kifaru, exo etc and have them design the ultimate mobile carry system. Guys paying a premium for the penultimate mobile stand would appreciate a high end suspension with a reputable name behind it. With everyone and their brother now doing the MOLLE upgrade your would think one of the treestand companies would have hopped on the opportunity to market the stand as the ultimate portable comfort out of the box.

Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:30 am

elk yinzer wrote:A decent carry system right out of the factory. Better yet partner with a reputable backpack company like kifaru, exo etc and have them design the ultimate mobile carry system. Guys paying a premium for the penultimate mobile stand would appreciate a high end suspension with a reputable name behind it. With everyone and their brother now doing the MOLLE upgrade your would think one of the treestand companies would have hopped on the opportunity to market the stand as the ultimate portable comfort out of the box.

Yeah, this.
ETNyates15

Unread postby ETNyates15 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:45 am

elk yinzer wrote:A decent carry system right out of the factory. Better yet partner with a reputable backpack company like kifaru, exo etc and have them design the ultimate mobile carry system. Guys paying a premium for the penultimate mobile stand would appreciate a high end suspension with a reputable name behind it. With everyone and their brother now doing the MOLLE upgrade your would think one of the treestand companies would have hopped on the opportunity to market the stand as the ultimate portable comfort out of the box.

Granted I haven't been doing this a long time but a few notes in my 2 year stint with this type of hunting equipment:

- Good solid carrying system as mentioned above, but also secure but easy to attach and stick carrying(like talons). Would love a modifiable system so if I were way back I could attach some mods and carry the load of a quartered deer as well.
- Lighter weight - a well designed platform with appropriate length and width were needed that is also very light is a plus
- Ropes instead of straps and buckles - personal preference but I hate the straps and buckle systems on the lone wolf and XOP
- Slightly shorter sticks - I would rather have a system that would allow 5 shorter sticks - they would attach with 2 sticks on either side of stand (like the talon setup) and the 5th would either attach on end of platform top or bottom. If not used could be a footrest. 5th stick could be a bit shorter as well just for that extra bit of height.
- Comfy seat - out of box comfortable seat.

Thanks
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:09 am

Some other notes I thought of.... Generally, I am fine with paying upwards of $500 for an ideal setup I'll use forever, 2x Lone Wolf prices, but I would expect some modularity and custom options at that price point.

Stand and three sticks with hardware under 15 pounds, I think that is your white whale. More important to me than weight though, is profile. I see some of these guys carrying LW Assaults but then have 5 stacked sticks and the whole thing projects out 30 inches from their back....I don’t get it. Low profile is everything... in the brush, not to mention the physics of how something like that carries.

Sticks – Hawk Heliums basically. You have to think they are going to be copied, a lot, going forward. I have 3 Heliums now with aiders on all 3, easily gets me to 20 feet, they pack like a dream, I really can’t imagine an upgrade. I doubt for legal reasons a mfg would want to incorporate aiders, but it’s possible I guess.

Double-step is an absolute must for me. The I-beam is by nature much quieter than tube. The folding step is another no-brainer.

I prefer the full size 3-step design, I really want to mess with as few sticks as possible, but offering a 2-step design would be nice too.

Choice between cambuckle straps and ropes. I’ve tried both, slightly prefer the straps, but I see the advantages of offering ropes without having to do modifications.

I hunt in leather hikers most of the time, so I have plenty of toe room on the steps. Maybe make that an option where you can buy a larger v-bracket if you have big feet or hunt in bulky boots.

I have a pair of Muddy sticks with a rotating tree bracket that bites into odd-shaped trees better than the Helium fixed brackets. That is the only design I would really change from Heliums.

Stand – I want a narrower platform, I think I could comfortably go into the 17-18” range, but carries the width to the tree, instead of tapering down to nothing like the Assault. I usually stand pretty tight to the tree. The wider V shaped teeth that dig into the tree really well like on a LW Alpha or my Xstand, I see as essential. Simple leveling adjustment an absolute must.

Options for seat height would be nice, some guys like a higher seat post. I am willing to sacrifice seat height for a more compact carrying stand.

A web-type seat like a Hazmore seems like a good way to cut some ounces. Maybe even some kind of modular seat design would be cool. I can envision an ideal seat design where I go bare bones for a short evening sit, but quickly and without needing wrenches swap out a larger, comfier seat for all-days. That comfort for long sits still has me choosing my Summit climber most of the time in the rut when all day sits become the norm.

An integrated stick carrying system would be great. Like I said, more important than weight, I want my stand to carry with the flattest, narrowest profile possible. I don’t like stacking my sticks, it’s too bulky in brush. I end up individually bungeeing mine flat to the platform. I guess conceptually similar to stick talons but a bit more refined into the system.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:12 am

I run LW sticks and Assault stand .

Easier Stack system for sticks .
Double steps .
Wider V base to keep from swaying on larger trees.
Stand leveling is a must .
Top side of steps have high vis mark or paint to pick up with your eyes better when climbing down in the dark .
More comfort on the seat as well.
Last edited by E72 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:17 am

A lot of great ideas. If Dan includes them all it will be a $1500 stand :lol:

No matter what he comes up with, there is no doubt individuals will probably need to modify it in some way to have exactly what they want....it's human nature.
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:54 am

rff wrote:Repeating many others here but,

Double step that is a tad larger, better backpack straps from factory, and a fast and easy way to stack sticks (in lowest profile possible, ie laying them on side)

Nailed it.
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:02 am

E72 wrote:I run LW sticks and Assault stand .

Double steps .
Top side of steps have high vis mark or paint to pick up with your eyes better when climbing down in the dark .

I like this idea as well. Probably simple enough to do yourself but a good way to set you apart from other brands.
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:19 am

minnesotahunter wrote:
E72 wrote:I run LW sticks and Assault stand .

Double steps .

I like this idea as well. Probably simple enough to do yourself but a good way to set you apart from other brands.

My LW stiks I painted the low spots on the step treads with white fingernail polish. Stays on and really helps in low light.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:05 pm

Curious about the high visibility steps. You guys don't use head lamps?
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:27 pm

What would really be cool is if you could transform it into a deer hauler with wheels and an electric motor....lol! Maybe a seat and steering wheel so you could drive it through the woods...lmao!
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:35 pm

better stacking system, pre stealth stripped, and double steps.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:55 pm

Im new to mobile hunting besides a climber
But i love the sticks and lone wolf stand is confortable
But i think im gonna go with a saddle and using sticks
I got hurt at work years ago and my back cant stand but 4-5 hours in a stand a saddle is alot better for my back so ive been reading I use linesmans belt to get up in tree then i use it as my saftey tether in stand then Maybe A small strapon step platform so it gives you a full 360 degree mobility around tree there are tough positions to shoot from behind you in a stand the saddle i want weighs about 2 pounds and sticks arent havy just get the strap they sell for them
And of course lighter sticks
Im buying dans when he starts selling them
Inhear they gonna be super light.
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:05 pm

Sticks: Double step, rope - no buckles, lightweight. Lonewolf alpha is great, make it lighter if possible.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:14 pm

ThePreBanMan wrote:Curious about the high visibility steps. You guys don't use head lamps?

A bottle of white out. Paint the grooves in the steps.

If you are really adventurous, add some reflective glitter to it. Should do the trick.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”