Tough season, but the grind doesn't stop...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BradC36

Tough season, but the grind doesn't stop...

Unread postby BradC36 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:29 am

Originally I had full intentions of hunting my home state of NY, PA, and OH this season,. Unfortunately, despite hunting almost every day of the season, I have yet to seal the deal in NY or PA so OH isn't looking likely as my remaining days off will be closer to home. Not for lack of buck sightings, but I told myself that the standard this year, albeit high on NY or PA public, was a 3.5+. I ended up passing one 3.5 that wasn't what I was looking for, had no shot at another giant 130-140, and have passed a dozen or so opportunities at 2.5 year olds.

To anyone else who is disappointed with their season so far, keep a positive mental attitude, it can happen at any point!!! I'll be out until the fat lady sings and if it doesn't happen it isn't for lack of effort, it is my parents fault for not raising me in the MW :lol: :lol:

The post rut period has been very good to me in the past, so I'm hoping to cash in soon. Keep grinding fellow beasts.

Babshaft
500 Club

Re: Tough season, but the grind doesn't stop...

Unread postby Babshaft » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:09 am

I'm having a very similar season here in eastern Ontario (Canada). I've never had success post rut - but you've just given me a bit of hope. Have any advice for a new beast?

Cheers,
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:22 am

Maybe you should take notes from your fiancé! :o :violence-pistoldouble:

:lol: you know I’m in the same boat as you... and that boat is sinking :lol:
BradC36

Unread postby BradC36 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:45 am

tbunao wrote:Maybe you should take notes from your fiancé! :o :violence-pistoldouble:

:lol: you know I’m in the same boat as you... and that boat is sinking :lol:

It will be a slow sink because with her taxidermy bill my wallet is no longer weighing me down.
BradC36

Unread postby BradC36 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:47 am

Babshaft wrote:I'm having a very similar season here in eastern Ontario (Canada). I've never had success post rut - but you've just given me a bit of hope. Have any advice for a new beast?

Cheers,

We're in the midst of the longest rifle season known to man (NY) so I have traditionally done well tracking deer in the snow on the sides of ridges and getting right up close to their beds. The buck I shot last year (post rut) had a doe walk by his bed mid day and I was sitting just slightly higher elevation than him on the ridge, upwind, and shot him when he stepped out to sniff her out.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:03 am

Thanks man! Best of luck with the remainder of the season!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:22 am

Sometimes we spread ourselves too thin and then you put added pressure on yourself.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:03 am

BradC36 wrote:Originally I had full intentions of hunting my home state of NY, PA, and OH this season,. Unfortunately, despite hunting almost every day of the season, I have yet to seal the deal in NY or PA so OH isn't looking likely as my remaining days off will be closer to home. Not for lack of buck sightings, but I told myself that the standard this year, albeit high on NY or PA public, was a 3.5+. I ended up passing one 3.5 that wasn't what I was looking for, had no shot at another giant 130-140, and have passed a dozen or so opportunities at 2.5 year olds.

To anyone else who is disappointed with their season so far, keep a positive mental attitude, it can happen at any point!!! I'll be out until the fat lady sings and if it doesn't happen it isn't for lack of effort, it is my parents fault for not raising me in the MW :lol: :lol:

The post rut period has been very good to me in the past, so I'm hoping to cash in soon. Keep grinding fellow beasts.

Was going to create a similar thread a couple days ago...I had a real tough season. Passed a ton of baby bucks with the wife and it took me all the way until 3 days before the last day to even see a shooter buck! He was a beautiful 3.5+ deer. 3.5 for this area is a heck of an accomplishment! Spent 3 days in Ohio going in blind on Lee slopes and saw not 1 deer! Saw some on my way in and out but none from the tree. My buddy missed a big one on a lee slope predicted bedding spot, that turned him into a believer! That was worth the whole trip right there!! Here I sit planning a rifle season with just about no time left to take off from work and an on call week starting Dec.1! :doh: I had a ton of fun though this season! Only hunted 1 spot that I had hunted before so I learned a ton there! Saw deer on all except 2 hunts other than the Ohio trip. I have no problem storing away a blank tag but man it does sting...hopefully I can get something done! The way I see it...if I learn a dozen new spots each year, some of them should pay dividends the rest of my career if they are good enough! I'm more excited for scouting season then I was for bow season I think!!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:14 am

I'm struggling as well Brad. That's why they call it "hunting" and not killing. ;)

I'll be grinding til the last day of the season! I plan on doing more bowhunting during gun season than ever before. "Damn the torpedoes"!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Tempy

Unread postby Tempy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:37 am

Man I felt like this season was tough for alot of people. I struggled HARD until 2nd week of November, only takes one moment to make your season though. There's still time, you'll seal the deal.
Swamp_donkey

Unread postby Swamp_donkey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:41 pm

It always seems tough until all of a sudden you're done. Just try and keep your confidence up and be persistent.

I've had most of my best sightings and kills in the late season. Just need to be where they're at, which essentially means good food and cover this time of year. Only takes 30 seconds to turn a dismal season into a huge success. Worst case enjoy the sunset and bird watching and try again another day.

Look at it this way, I just bought a new tag to hunt the late season. Just gotta get excited for it, those big guys have to feed during daylight when it starts getting cold.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”