QDM Bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

QDM Bucks

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:36 am

Most of you know I'm a pretty devout public land hunter... that being said, I like seeing pics and hearing about practices put in place to improve properties for bucks. NOT INTERESTED in debating the practice of QDM, but I'd like to take a look at some buck pics. and hear about Beast Member QDM success?

Spysar
500 Club

Re: QDM Bucks

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:53 am

Are you talking about QDM on public land?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:01 am

Spysar wrote:Are you talking about QDM on public land?

Good point Spysar, I meant private but why not include public too? If someone's got successful QDM going on, I'd like to hear about it.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:08 am

In my opinion it only works well if you have enough acreage to be able to put age on deer. Most bucks don't express full genetic potential till 4 yrs of age, if you can get em to that age, they can be an impressive animal. If WI could get more age on bucks I think the results would blow some people away. This past year was impressive for big bucks and I think it was due to the combination of crop (corn) in late last fall/winter, early green up this past spring, and bucks getting that extra year due to additional cover/food + heavy fog last year opening weekend of gun season. More and more people seem to be passing up 2 yr olds, 3 yr olds are tough to pass for most.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:28 am

i posted a thread way back when called " QDMA AT ITS BEST"...im not sure how to link the thread into this one but i thought id post it anyway...this buck i put on there is 1 example how QDM took place on my hunting property..
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:44 am

huntinfool14 wrote:this buck i put on there is 1 example how QDM took place on my hunting property..

Don't be afraid to put the pic up again, if you are able... I'd love to see it again and so would others, I'm sure. Also curious, did you still have a favorable impression of QDM on your property again this fall, and if so what did you base it on? Thanks for considering.

Bridge
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:28 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
huntinfool14 wrote:this buck i put on there is 1 example how QDM took place on my hunting property..

Don't be afraid to put the pic up again, if you are able... I'd love to see it again and so would others, I'm sure. Also curious, did you still have a favorable impression of QDM on your property again this fall, and if so what did you base it on? Thanks for considering.

Bridge

yes, when i get time soon, ill get the pictures up...

this year i also have had a good buck that we kept passing and ill post those pictures also
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:51 pm

Sounds good, looking forward to the pics.

We've got to have some other QDM bucks out there too, yes?
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:21 am

A few qdm bucks from our property:
Gun kill from '96

Another gun buck from 2000

Archery buck 2006

18point bowkill

2010 freak buck 4.5year old

A few off the trail cams
Saw him twice during season:

Good buck next year

Good young buck

Summer scouting

We have killed a few other mature bucks that I don't have pix of, but every year we have at least 5 mature shooter bucks on our land (anything over 4 yrs. is a shooter to me). By managing the does to keep the ratio as close to 1 to 1 as possible we have been seeing better bucks just about every year.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:23 pm

Those are great looking bucks from your property, Chris. Thanks for sharing your doe management practice / success as well. 8-)
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:35 am

Singing Bridge wrote:Good point Spysar, I meant private but why not include public too? If someone's got successful QDM going on, I'd like to hear about it.

I just thought I would add some of my public experiences on here. I do believe public QDM is possible but it highly depends on the area you hunt or your neighbors level of cooperation. I know a handful of groups in Northern MN that do pretty well practicing QDM, one groups has some neighbors that work with them and the other has access to a large area that is kind of land locked by their own private land and a river on the back side so they have a very large are to work with. I will say that most public QDM results probably don't compare well to a large private QDM effort. Public QDM also has a few more highs and lows from year to year, consistantly producing mature bucks is much more of a struggle.

In my situation we have a handful of guys who pass young bucks but other members of our party shoot anything and the neighbors do the same. I do have access to some very remote country and can often have several square miles to myself when out in the woods so there is still a reasonable chance to locate a mature buck. However I have found that the number of mature bucks in the area is more a result of the overall deer population. The few of us practicing QDM have far less of an impact on the herd but we still do it anyway. I should also note that I am the only one who has ever passed up a 2.5 year old deer, the rest of my small group of "QDMers" will pass up the 1.5's but get pretty trigger happy when they see 3 or 4 points to a side. Not an ideal situation to say the least but it does make those years you do connect with a nice buck all that special.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:55 am

QDM on public works... The deer you pass might get shot by another hunter and might not. However, if another hunter shoots it, he is done in most areas. So really, you probably saved another buck that the guy would of shot if that one was not available. Also, a buck that really don't mean much to you, might mean the world to a young hunter despertly trying to get his 1st. You probably are unaware at how many others are affected greatly by the bucks you pass.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:23 am

dan wrote:QDM on public works... The deer you pass might get shot by another hunter and might not. However, if another hunter shoots it, he is done in most areas. So really, you probably saved another buck that the guy would of shot if that one was not available. Also, a buck that really don't mean much to you, might mean the world to a young hunter despertly trying to get his 1st. You probably are unaware at how many others are affected greatly by the bucks you pass.

I agree, for every buck you pass, there is a buck that makes it some of the time. Yes, it is very frustrating to let a deer walk only to have it shot 10 min later by the neighbor, but I also feel, that if I pass it, it has a chance, however slight that may be, but if I shoot it has NO chance.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:25 am

dan wrote:QDM on public works... The deer you pass might get shot by another hunter and might not. However, if another hunter shoots it, he is done in most areas. So really, you probably saved another buck that the guy would of shot if that one was not available. Also, a buck that really don't mean much to you, might mean the world to a young hunter despertly trying to get his 1st. You probably are unaware at how many others are affected greatly by the bucks you pass.

Good point..

And just because there are other hunters out there, that doesnt mean they are going to shoot that buck you passed either. I dont really agree with the "If I dont shoot him, someone else will" thing. That deer might bust that other hunter who was going to shoot him, or move on to somewhere else where he will also get passed, etc..My family doesnt pass anything, but they also dont kill hardly anything because they dont take hunting serious at all and hardly see any deer..your neighbors or other guys out hunting that public land might be the same way..

Since I started to pass small deer a couple years ago, I have noticed a big increase in the size of the deer on our land. Years ago, most of my pictures were of small 6 and 8 point basket-rack bucks, and now since nothing has been killed lately, there are alot more big bucks that hang out at night in my plots..
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:26 am

Black Squirrel wrote:...but I also feel, that if I pass it, it has a chance, however slight that may be, but if I shoot it has NO chance.

Exactly!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”