Success rant

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Success rant

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:01 am

headgear wrote:Pics are important but I'm not going to get worked up over them, not everyone is a pro, sometimes they look ok small but not on the computer and by then you can't always go back. It's probably not worth getting upset if other people aren't taking great pics, I try and focus only on things I can control in life, other peoples pics probably isn't in that category.

This year I had my 9 year old nephew taking pics of me and my son with my buck, its not always a perfect situation for everyone. ;)

I like this post. No real reason for anyone to get worked up over some deer pictures. Lot bigger issues in life for sure. If someone field dresses my buck, drags it out, hauls it home, hangs it up for me, I'll promise to take some really good pictures. ;) :lol: :D

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:13 am

Pictures are always part of a successful hunt. And often the most lasting. :think:
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Zonk54

Unread postby Zonk54 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:12 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
mauser06 wrote:I personally like good field pics.

I often hunt alone as well.

How do I do it?

I bought a mini tripod. It has a head that will screw into most point and shoot cameras..mine will bend and conform to objects like sticks or logs or whatever. I also bought an attachment that is basically a sticky thing that will hold my phone.

I use the self timer. Kinda silly doing a solo photoshoot in the woods..and it can be frustrating to get good pics...I take a lot of pics to get a couple keepers... I enjoy it though.

Certainly not everyone's cup of tea...but throwing that out there..maybe other guys find it helpful...it doesn't weigh much or take up much room.

A lot of times by the time I get back to the truck the buck or turkey looks like roadkill and is stiff in goofy positions. Doesn't make for the best pics.

My phone camera has a voice activated feature, I say shoot or smile and it takes a picture....that with a gorilla pod tripod and phone attachment allows you to take okay pics in the field if you are by yourself.

I do understand if guys don't want to go through the hassle. I like decent pictures for myself.

Only time you will see JM smiling in a picture is his hero kill pics :lol: I'm not much for one of pics but to each his own.
Zonk54

Unread postby Zonk54 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:13 am

Zonk54 wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:
mauser06 wrote:I personally like good field pics.

I often hunt alone as well.

How do I do it?

I bought a mini tripod. It has a head that will screw into most point and shoot cameras..mine will bend and conform to objects like sticks or logs or whatever. I also bought an attachment that is basically a sticky thing that will hold my phone.

I use the self timer. Kinda silly doing a solo photoshoot in the woods..and it can be frustrating to get good pics...I take a lot of pics to get a couple keepers... I enjoy it though.

Certainly not everyone's cup of tea...but throwing that out there..maybe other guys find it helpful...it doesn't weigh much or take up much room.

A lot of times by the time I get back to the truck the buck or turkey looks like roadkill and is stiff in goofy positions. Doesn't make for the best pics.

My phone camera has a voice activated feature, I say shoot or smile and it takes a picture....that with a gorilla pod tripod and phone attachment allows you to take okay pics in the field if you are by yourself.

I do understand if guys don't want to go through the hassle. I like decent pictures for myself.

Only time you will see JM smiling in a picture is his hero kill pics :lol: I'm not much for taking many pics but to each his own.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:40 pm

I am an anal retentive NUT when it comes to taking good pics after the kill. I work hard to kill a buck and when I do I make sure to take a little time and get some good pics. I don't have crazy expensive camera gear but I am always able to do them by myself and get shots like these...

It's really not that hard and you can get good pics even with a cell phone. Not bragging at all, it's just what I do :lol: I understand that not all find it very important and that's OK, but I do enjoy looking at good pics 8-)
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:33 pm

Count me in the group that thinks getting worked up about how others choose to take pictures of their deer as a little odd, as long as the pic is respectful of the animal.

Not entirely sure if I may have been one of the folks in mind but, either way, the pic below of a buck I shot last week is one of my favorite of any deer I've ever shot because of the how and where and what it means to ME about the experience I had. Not worried that it isn't a posed magazine pic, but if that's your thing, have at it. I have some of those too.

Another fave from this year, I have 25 pictures of my kids and their grandpa with his buck from saturday, many posed, but this one is hands down my favorite.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:07 pm

Kraftd wrote:Count me in the group that thinks getting worked up about how others choose to take pictures of their deer as a little odd, as long as the pic is respectful of the animal.

Not entirely sure if I may have been one of the folks in mind but, either way, the pic below of a buck I shot last week is one of my favorite of any deer I've ever shot because of the how and where and what it means to ME about the experience I had. Not worried that it isn't a posed magazine pic, but if that's your thing, have at it. I have some of those too.

Another fave from this year, I have 25 pictures of my kids and their grandpa with his buck from saturday, many posed, but this one is hands down my favorite.

I prefer these types of photos personally. I see a story there. Idk. Different strokes for different folks.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:31 pm

PK_ wrote:
Kraftd wrote:Count me in the group that thinks getting worked up about how others choose to take pictures of their deer as a little odd, as long as the pic is respectful of the animal.

I prefer these types of photos personally. I see a story there. Idk. Different strokes for different folks.

X2 PK

The best pictures are the ones with a great story behind it. I love great pictures with a better story. A good picture and no story does nothing for me.

But a good story needs pictures. Either one or two good ones, or lots of decent iPhone pictures :mrgreen:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:55 pm

I am obsessive about taking care of the meat when I get one down. There have been a few I got good pictures but honestly I could care less most of the time. It's pretty much impossible to get good photos when you kill them in the evening and recovery is in the dark.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:31 pm

I have said for some time that I am the world's worst photographer. Sorry :oops:
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:41 pm

Stories are my favorite. IMO, a good photo tells a story and includes more than a dead deer and the hunter - sometimes there is the stand in the background, the limb that was in the way, etc. My stepson's girl took a photo of him after he got his second deer - first one she saw shot - stand is in the background and a couple other props. She did excellent.

I often bring a small tripod - for pictures. The camera timer feature is great - 10 seconds. I forgot the tripod on my antelope hunt and have crappy photos because of it. Used my pack as a tripod and ehh photos. A once in a lifetime kind of hunt and can't get a decent photo with the critters... :doh:

Also - IMO - guys should smile if they have a decent grill.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:58 pm

PK_ wrote:Guilty as charged :lol:

You have one of the best photos ever posted on the Beast....that paddle board pic.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”