Processor Ruined my Cape.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Processor Ruined my Cape.

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:47 am

I went to pick my buck up from the processor today. When I got there the owner called me in the back. He told me the guy that wrote my tag out had checked head/cape on my paper. Well the guy butchering just seen head on the tag and just cut my head off. Needless to say he destroyed​ my cape. He didn't charge me and was very apologetic. I understand mistakes happen, but it really sucks. He said he could get me another cape and would call when he gets one.

So I left n was thinking about just doing a European mount. That really wasn't what I was wanting. I got to searching n found some tanned capes on eBay. I ordered one and my form. I'm gonna try my hand again at taxidermy. I did one 5 years ago. I made alot of mistakes but it didn't turn out horrible. With the hide already being tanned I think it will be a little easier. Everything should be in next week or so. I'll keep updates on my attempt. When u get lemons make lemonade.

Ghost Hunter

Re: Processor Ruined my Cape.

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:44 am

That's tough one. Good to have options.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:47 am

It's a bummer for sure but people make mistakes and he is taking responsibility for it and is doing his best to make it right. That's refreshing in today's world where it seems like no one wants to take responsibility and blames everyone else.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:28 pm

The processor can get you another cape real easy. That is where some taxidermists get spare capes. I would ask him to save you one from another buck that isn't being mounted.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:05 pm

I'd get the cape from him. Be sure to mount your deer.
"Hunt and let Hunt" my new saying...
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:16 pm

The big thing with replacement capes is getting one with close to the right dimensions.

A 5.5yo early season buck being replaced with a 1.5yo winter coat buck just ain't gunna look the same lol.

I say that because I've seen it. Had buddies booger up capes and get replacements that were nowhere near right.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:47 am

Not to be that guy, but...

I dont understand why a person would leave a cape on for the processor to deal with?

Everyone I know capes it up to the head, then cuts the head off and the taxi takes care of the rest. Unless its a back country hunt and they cape the entire head and skull cap the antlers for a lighter pack out.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:44 am

Damn. That sucks.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:57 am

crankn101 wrote:Not to be that guy, but...

I dont understand why a person would leave a cape on for the processor to deal with?

Everyone I know capes it up to the head, then cuts the head off and the taxi takes care of the rest. Unless its a back country hunt and they cape the entire head and skull cap the antlers for a lighter pack out.

We cant pack out. We also cant destroy identification of the animal. This is one of the most well known processors in the area, they handle hundreds of deer a yr if not more. Honestly I usually do it myself. It is what it is.

I matched my cape up to area and location. It is a northern cape. Killed Oct 27th. I matched the dimensions to my form. I got a 7 1/4 x 19 form. Hide is 7 1/2 x 19. I was half tempted to just mount it myself from the beginning. So I'm not really unhappy about that. I enjoy doing things like that. I am pretty artistic. If I jack it up whatever. I learn n can get a cape next yr if need be. It wouldn't be the first thing I have failed at....lol.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”