How Does Your Strategy Change During Gun Season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Octang
500 Club

How Does Your Strategy Change During Gun Season

Unread postby Octang » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:28 pm

For those of you hunting in high pressured areas, how does your strategy change during gun season? Do you still hunt bedding? Hunt funnels/escape routes? Play off where other hunters will be bumping deer? Etc...

I am not really looking for any advice, I am just curious how you guys shift tactics for when the woods get crazy.

MarshRunner17
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=bookmarks

Re: How Does Your Strategy Change During Gun Season

Unread postby MarshRunner17 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:38 pm

Opening day I like to setup in a position where deer will be bumped out by other hunters getting to their stands. That's not to say that bed hunting wont yield any results, its just I like to take the free deer drive if I can get it :D
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:00 am

I get off my but and start roaming the mountains.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:03 am

Over the years I've found areas that deer go to after getting bumped a few times and tend to congregate there. It akin to stacking deer and works well. I typically don't go out the first part of the week and wait for other hunters to do my work. Then I go to these areas that no one ever goes to and it's nearly always a successful hunt. Some of these areas aren't hunted for many reasons, long walk, too much work, water too deep, no tree to climb in etc.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:09 am

I :pray: harder...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:22 am

Escape routes, terrain funnels or snow tracking. Completely different than how I bowhunt.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:49 am

I stay home and catch up on my sleep. :mrgreen: when I gun hunted we used to go way in, sit some funnels, and also tried to take advantage of other people moving around.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:36 am

MarshRunner17 wrote:Opening day I like to setup in a position where deer will be bumped out by other hunters getting to their stands. That's not to say that bed hunting wont yield any results, its just I like to take the free deer drive if I can get it :D

This right here
Joe™
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:43 pm

I hunt in a state with a 2.5 month scoped rifle season, how do I change my strategy? I avoided walking close to corn feeders, I climb higher in trees to avoid getting caught by friendly fire, I stay away from open fields, I concentrate on places no gun hunter can see through a scope, I avoid easy to access spots, if I see a truck slowly creeping by I run and take cover, I pray alot, I hide from both deer and hunters who shoot on sound, if I smell beer I walk the opposite way,.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:58 pm

Opening day of gun season I will set on an escape route until about 9:00am, after that I still hunt thickets.
Gun season in my area really coincides with lockdown which I feel helps my hunting style, and is also what molded my hunting style.
I put the wind in my face and still hunt a thicket, when I am through the thicket I hotfoot it through the open woods to the next thicket, wash rinse repeat.
I will usually glass the edge of a thicket real good from a distance before approaching.
Several years ago, when I wasn't quite as sneaky as I am now, I was sneaking through a thicket when I came up on a buck tending a doe. It dawned on me that the main reason I was able to sneak up on them was due to the fact that they were so preoccupied with each other that they weren't paying real good attention to their surroundings.
I have had a lot of success applying the sneak and peek during the lockdown due to that slight chink in the deer's armor.
:violence-bowandarrow:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”