Calling to a buck/doe while chasing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brancher147
500 Club

Calling to a buck/doe while chasing

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:48 pm

I have had a couple times recently where a big buck has come by just out of range chasing or following a doe. Both times I have had the thought that if I could get the doe to come in range the buck would surely follow. Has anyone ever tried or had luck calling a doe into range in this situation and had a buck follow, or calling the buck off the doe? What call did you use? I don't call much, and seems like it has hurt me more than help me, but just curious if it has worked for others.

Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Jhawk

Re: Calling to a buck/doe while chasing

Unread postby Jhawk » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:46 pm

I used a doe bleat can and pulled her past me and the buck followed. Shot him at 20yds.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:27 pm

Personally I don't try to call the doe.....I try to stop the buck with the tube and let the doe get away. Usually if you time your grunts right with his movement you can get him to come your way if he's fired up enough.
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:09 pm

Ack wrote:Personally I don't try to call the doe.....I try to stop the buck with the tube and let the doe get away. Usually if you time your grunts right with his movement you can get him to come your way if he's fired up enough.

In my experience this tends to be the best method. You might get a doe to come in on a bleat call however it's much less likely than having the buck come in to a grunt especially if they're being aggressive and tend to keep that doe. In some cases if there's a subordinate buck on a doe and you grunt that may be enough to push him out and he may run for the hills in fear of getting his tail kicked. All depends.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Barker

Unread postby Barker » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:17 am

I was very successful this year pulling bucks off chasing does with grunting. During the heavy chasing phase I noticed the does easily slip out of sight of the buck. I have used my grunt to mimic another buck encroaching on his does and it pulled him right in.

During another sit with a buck trailing a doe I hit the buck with a grunt call. He stopped, turned 180, and proceeded to circle way out down wind of me. He held up at the head of the draw we were in. I tried a couple more grunts but he wasn't budging. He was now separated from his doe so I pulled the tube off the call and hit him with 2 soft doe bleats. He came trotting in on a b-line right to me. This is the buck in my avatar.

I usually don't use any calls, scents, or lures but I have been having good success with a grunt call during the rut in the right place. Out of the rut, the deer typically run when I call on public land :lol:
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:08 am

I tried to grunt yesterday with a big buck chasing a doe when they got separated about 70 yards out behind a down tree. I am not sure what happened but the doe started stomping, blew once, and they were gone. I think maybe she saw me move, as I was probably moving too much, because the wind was good. Anyway, it was a buck I have been chasing for 3 years and first time (and probably will be the only time) I have seen him this year. Bummer for sure.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:05 am

I have taken bucks away from does on a hand full of occasions using snort wheeZe. Usually this is with the dominant buck for the area. If it's not something I'm looking to shoot I let them do their thing hoping they bring in more attention
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:48 am

I have called bucks that we’re out of range but by themselves lots of times.
But pulling bucks off of a doe is a lot harder in my opinion.
I have done it with grunting/snort wheezing combo once. Another time a buck and doe both bedded 80 yards away and some rattling convinced the buck to leave her and come investigate during the second rut.
Most of the time the bucks don’t pay any attention whatsoever to my calling when pursuing a doe, I usually start with grunting, then snort wheeze, and if that fails I will try to rattle as well. The last few times I have encountered a buck chasing a doe I have tried the doe bleat first, but haven’t had any luck yet.
Honestly, you never know how a buck or a doe is going to react to any of your calling. If they are not in range anyways, I always give it a try because you never know.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:44 am

I've had a fawn bleat bring a doe running, with a buck on her heels. All other calls I have tried under those circumstances, have gone unheeded.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:03 am

In this situation I've had mixed success with grunts. Some bucks will come in to investigate, and some will just ignore it.

IMO it has alot to do with how hot the doe is. If she's ready to breed, he will probably not leave her for anything. If he's just checking her out and she's not in estrus, your chances will be much better to get a reaction from him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:07 pm

The buck on my profile pic is from last year. He was chasing a doe about 100 yards away from me.

I got lucky because I noticed he had lost track of her in the thick stuff and was able to capatalize on that and immediately did a chasing grunt followed by a bleat to give the illusion abother buck had picked back up on her. He came into 15 yards and it was game over.

I think to be successful pulling a buck from a doe it really has to be the right circumstances and you have to recognize when to act.
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:42 pm

I’ve grunted at bucks chasing does and they could care less and I’ve had them come right in, I’ve also snort wheezed a dominate buck away from a doe before but he came in very cautious and kept looking back at her in the thicket to make sure she was not going anywhere. Just depends on what mood they are in how aggressive they are I guess. I’m not afraid to try it at all.
Persistence pays!!!
nextstepbowhunter
Facebook: Aaron Olsen

Unread postby nextstepbowhunter » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:06 am

I have heard that you should wait until there is some separation between the buck and the doe to call. I think it is even more effective if the doe runs out of sight or if there is some type of visual barrier between the buck and doe.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:06 am

tgreeno wrote:In this situation I've had mixed success with grunts. Some bucks will come in to investigate, and some will just ignore it.

IMO it has alot to do with how hot the doe is. If she's ready to breed, he will probably not leave her for anything. If he's just checking her out and she's not in estrus, your chances will be much better to get a reaction from him.

x2
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:55 am

I called this buck off a hot doe he was chasing.

Obviously it worked because he’s on my wall. There was no way I was getting a shot at this buck if I hadn’t given him a few hard grunts on my TrueTalker. He was right on her tail coming out of the cattails then she took a right away from me well out of shooting range. I knew he would follow so all I could do was attempt to pull him off her. Usually it never works but this buck was ready for a fight. He hesitated for a split second looking my direction then back at the doe and surprisingly left her to find his challenger. I double lunged him at 12 yards. Worked perfectly. Never would have killed him without a grunt call. I always carry one whenever hunting. Don’t do any blind calling but in certain situations a grunt call works great.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”