Going in blind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jdaukontas

Going in blind

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:13 am

When going in blind in the dark,how do u decide which tree to set up in? Are there specific things u r looking for?

oldrank

Re: Going in blind

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:23 am

If I am going in blind I like to arrive at the general area as gray light is breaking. I then slow down and analyse the setup. I don't like to cross huntable ground. I then pick my tree from a distance, check wind and shooting lanes. If everything looks good I set up. If my setup is wrong I have at least gained Intel for the future.
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:44 am

If hunting high, do u come in from above or below? I am worried that I have to be set up before light because I am hunting a bedding area. You think it is better to be a little late in my setup but be in the right tree, rather than set at first light?
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:55 am

Jdaukontas wrote:If hunting high, do u come in from above or below? I am worried that I have to be set up before light because I am hunting a bedding area. You think it is better to be a little late in my setup but be in the right tree, rather than set at first light?

I don't hunt big hills so I can't answer that. What I can say is I always have an idea where my deer will come from. I try to enter in the least evasive way possible. Sometimes that means making loops around areas to keep from tipping off the deer.

In my opinion, and I don't claim to be a deer hunting master at all, I would rather be late and in the right tree. If you can't get a shot you can't kill them. Or you risk forcing a bad shot and wounding a animal. The tree is the key !!
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:56 am

If you know you're hunting a bedding area then you're not going in blind. So lean on your prior knowledge of the landscape. Going in blind means nothing more than perhaps an aerial or topo. You have no idea what conditions actually are on the ground as you've never step foot on it. I do this kind of hunting. I pick what looks like the best possible tree from the best most detailed aerial I can find, add as a way point to my GPS - and make it work. Sometimes you get lucky. But when truly blind - this is the best you can do.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:58 am

.............what I also like to do is not go directly into the area, but the first visit I'll set up an observation sit. See what the deer do then move in with that intel the next day or even that same evening.
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:03 am

I have a rifle not a bow, if that makes a difference. I know the buck I am after. We have encountered him for 3 straight years in the same 60 acre area, just never can seal the deal on him. He lives between two ridges, seperated by the road. We have been bow hunting one side hard all bow season, but no one has a stand on the other side and I am the only mobile hunter so I am going after him tomorrow. My brother saw him cross the road at last light a week ago coming off the point. If he crosses back before first light and I am not in the tree, I won't have time I don't think.
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:08 am

I have a general idea of the area, but the power company went in late summer and clear cut under the lines, which makes a perfect funnel between pasture on top and the power line edge below. I think I can make this work. I am very very confident he is bedding there. If he doesn't show first light, I am hoping other gun hunters will push him and he will go there sometime during the morning. Nothing has been back there but cows, and we moved them 3 weeks ago.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:14 am

Go kill him. The worst you can do is be wrong. The thing I have learned the most from this site is this. Gathering and layering info over the years is more important than anything. Hunt it. Learn it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”