Opening Day of Rifle Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jdaukontas

Opening Day of Rifle Question

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:44 pm

I have a stand I put up in July specifically for opening day of rifle. It sets in a Hemlock 35feet up. Problem is the wind is going to be blowing towards where the deer are going to travel. Do I chance it knowing a have a gun, or is it too risky? I have a feeling deer will be pushed all over, but do I risk burning the stand or wait for another day?

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Opening Day of Rifle Question

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:00 pm

Honestly, I'd sit it. Most of the deer my group shoots are deer that are focused on another hunter and skirt around them. The buck I shot last year winded my dad, bolted, and stopped 30 yards away from me, looking back at him. And I'm a quarter mile from him. I think that they really lose focus as to whats ahead of them, because they know exactly whats behind them. Plus, when is the weather ever totally right? A NW wind might be really good for the deer and awful for you, but what happens if you get a NNW or WNW? Just off wind could be great as well.

I also don't really believe in burning a stand during gun season, especially in an area where deer are moving through. Over a bucks bed, that would be different.

My stand during gun season gets hunted pretty much regardless of wind because deer have come from every direction. The worst is anything from south to east, but honestly, I'd still hunt it in that wind.

If you have another good option, maybe look at that? But if you have a stand that you are confident in, and not much of a back up, I'd go with it.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:10 pm

How much pressure??

If it's like I see in Pennsylvania and deer are basically running all day, I'd hunt it.

It sounds high enough which will help..and like was said, deer are often running every which way. And with a gun, typically you can get em killed before they wind you.. depending on the situation.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:15 pm

Johnny gives great advice on here to a lot of questions, but I'll disagree on this one and it may only be the difference in geography as to why so take it fwiw...

I wouldn't hunt it until the wind is right. I'm assuming you chose the location for one or hopefully more reasons. Pressure was likely one of those reasons. The pressure will still be there after opening day. IF it's the right spot, it should only get better as more deer seek safety.

Plus, a post on here from yesterday overwhelmingly revealed that most beast hunters' gun kills are 50 yards and in. Unless you're planning to shoot 500+ yards, you aren't likely to fool the nose of a downwind buck.

The fact your stand is 35 feet up could help particularly if there's a terrain/ thermal advantage to go along with it, but by itself it's not enough for me to hunt oon a bad wind.

Good luck either way.
Not all those who wander are lost...
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:14 pm

can you shoot to where they will cross your wind? or is the wind blowing directly where they are coming from?
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:21 pm

I can shoot to thw top of a knoll about 100 yards away. I can't see beyond the crest of the knoll, but they cross right below the crest.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:42 pm

If it’s high pressure hunting I’ve had the best luck hunting escape routes. Spots that the deer get pushed to when the other hunters walk in and or start moving around at 9 or 10.
The wind needs to be in your advantage for that because the deer will be getting kicked around and absolutely will be sniffing away as they try to stay safe. I’d personally move it if I think the deer are going to smell me. You may have thermals and terrain working for you most of the day so you could be good. My .02$
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:48 am

Jdaukontas wrote:I can shoot to thw top of a knoll about 100 yards away. I can't see beyond the crest of the knoll, but they cross right below the crest.

Sounds like your scent will be blowing right on them, in thermal tunnel. I'd think even more so first thing in the am. Those old does might blow you out and you might lose an opportunity at a following buck. If the deer are escaping or being chased by a buck it might not matter and you might get lucky, but I wouldn't bet on that.

Yesterday morning thermals were dropping my milkweed and my light variable wind caused me to get busted once early. By afternoon my milkweed was floating up and away and deer were under me clueless. If you had a backup plan I'd most likely hunt elsewhere to save your hemlock permanent for better conditions.

If you are willing to shoot the first deer through there, they should freeze up nicely. If you need the does to pass so you can get the buck, I wouldn't think it's a good plan.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:49 am

fishlips wrote:can you shoot to where they will cross your wind? or is the wind blowing directly where they are coming from?

x2 this is exactly what I was going to ask. If you can get a shot at them before they cross your scent in the air then yeah I would still hunt it. But if the wind is going right at where you expect to come from I would save the spot for a better day.

I currently am making this same decision on my spot I was going to hunt tomorrow. Wind is dead wrong. I will save it for better conditions. Nothing worse than sitting in a tree feeling unconfident in your setup. I'd rather scout for a better spot since this situation is likely to happen again.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:19 am

Wind is straight East, and the trail runs North to South, so depending on how steady it is, I should be able to see them before they get down wind.
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:32 am

Wind for the spot I want to sit tomorrow is wrong. I am saving it for Sunday when the wind should be better.
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:55 am

I too am going to wait until Sunday to hit the Hemlock. I think I am going to get into the downwind side of a nasty swamp on the edge of the property with the hopes that deer will be moving into the swamp with the pressure from gun hunters above on the high ground the first couple hours of light. Going to sit until mid-day then shift for the evening to a spot that has not been hunted all year that I know has held big buck bedding. My father-in-law saw a stud there last year around opening day, and my brother in law saw a stud ross the road a week ago from that point on an east wind, so I am confident. Powerline company went through late summer and cut a nice transition just off the bedding point. I am not sure how tangled the a mess it is, so I am going in for the afternoon with a rifle. Hopefully I can get a crack at something.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”