Have you ever stalked a bed?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

huntinsonovagun

Have you ever stalked a bed?

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:00 am

I know “the master” has done it on at least one big buck, but wondering if any of you other guys have successfully stalked a buck bed and killed (or maybe passed?). We all know how impossible it can be to get to a buck and kill him in his bed, but obviously it can be done in the right condtions...have you done it? Bow or rifle...

flinginairos
500 Club

Re: Have you ever stalked a bed?

Unread postby flinginairos » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:31 am

Always been a goal of mine! Just can't get it done! :lol: I did come super close this year to bedded bucks, within 30 yards several times so I know it can be done. I actually shot my first buck as soon as he stood up out of his bed. I would have shot him bedded but he was quartering toward me with some junk in the way.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:59 am

I've done it to bump the buck towards my dad. Unfortunately that somebody didn't shoot the buck.

Was a hill buck bed so I circled around to stay out of sight and walked the 1/3 elevation to it. Probably 80 yards away when I heard him take off. Ran right at my dad who couldn't get his gun up fast enough
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:28 am

Yes I have done it a couple times. If the wind is in my favor and I feel I can make the sneak, it's on. Mature bucks also.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:37 am

If your answer is Yes...

Do you guys worry about chasing bucks out to other guys? My first beast hunting year (last year) I tried stalking beds in rifle season. These were beds I had found in spring/summer and had tried hunting in archery season. So I was pretty confident I would shoot a buck with the gun by sneaking up on them in their beds. But what I actually did was make a few other guys really happy when I tried doing that. :roll: Last year I literally tried sneaking up on a bed and heard a gun shot go off 100 yards from me. Scared the crap out of me. Later in the day I tried doing it again on another bed and the same thing down in a valley a gun shot. I had made 2 guys really lucky. Still kicking myself over it. Essentially I drove them out to them but I was just sneaking thru trying to stalk them. Going forward I won't attempt this again in rifle... instead I will wait until muzzleloader when the orange army isn't so bad here in PA.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:45 am

I have killed one with the muzzleloader on SE Ohio public out of his bed. I was not trying to kill him out of his bed, just sneaking along following sign and fresh tracks. I spooked some does and they ran off above me, and then this buck stood up out of his bed and I shot him right there, big 8 pt. Not sure how he didn't see or hear me coming as I was working my way around a draw and he was straight above me. Sometimes you get lucky...
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:47 am

I just did it yesterday afternoon. Got within 10 yards. You have to wait for condition to be right. Yesterday was rain and high winds. Perfect condition to cover noise. I was also in a cedar swamp which is quiet to begin with. I love this form of hunting. Unfortunately the wind swirled and he was outa there dam quick but to get that close is an accomplishment especially since I only aerial scouted this(but knew where his bed would most likely be on a point) and had never walked this area before. If you know where the bed is exactly you're ahead of the game even more.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:18 am

I have not stalked a bed yet.

Yesterday I bum rushed one. I wanted the answer to. is he there. Considering the wind, I thought he would jump and run when I was 30 yards away. Empty bed.
Seeing poop in the bed and knowing the wind he was NOT THERE was worth it.
With a gun and time it sounds great to try
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:21 am

I've never stalked one but most guys set up close enough to beds of almost consider it a stalk. In order to get the job done I'd think you'd need ideal conditions with rain and/or wind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”