Importance of friends hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Waymore

Importance of friends hunting

Unread postby Waymore » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:43 pm

I want to remind everyone how important friends or family is. Sorry to post this but I just lost by best friend. I met him when I was 8 and knew him for 42 years. We did everything together. I learned how to play hockey at his house. At his family farm we rode dirt bikes, snowmobiles, fished and we started hunting in our 20’s. Although he stopped hunting in recent years I always hoped he would get back into it. The memories we had at his family ‘s property I’ll never forget. We never had a bad time in 20 plus years. We were not very serious hunters but mostly up there to get away and have a good time.

This is the first time in 25 years I missed Michigan’s opening day of firearms. I was so gun-ho to get a deer this year after discovering this forum but now I could care less. I thought about not hunting with the current group of guys I have been hunting with because they are not serious at all. Now I realize that these are my best friends and I would miss it

I don’t want this to be a sob story but just a reminder that don’t let little things get in the way. The best thing about hunting is sharing the success with people you are close with. Don’t get too crazy about a buck. There will always be more bucks to kill.

utica19

Re: Importance of friends hunting

Unread postby utica19 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:47 pm

Good post, and sorry for your loss. It's always a sobering reminder of what's important in life when someone close to us is no longer with us.
With time, I'm sure with time you will be back out there, chasing bucks.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:59 pm

Very sorry for your loss. My friend and I have become closer because of this site and hunting. Can’t imagine what you’re going through. Hang tough and go get a buck for your friend. I’m sure that’s what he would want.
WISCOANDY

Unread postby WISCOANDY » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:06 pm

Really good comments and perspective. Sorry for your loss. I lost my grandfather a few years back, and he was the glue that kept our crew together. Now it's fun, but different, and your comments about being happy for your friends success remind me of gramps. He was the first person there when someone got one, and big or small, had a huge grin.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:34 pm

Sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad who I also considered my best friend almost 4 years ago. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t reflect back on our hunting and fishing memories we made together. The best way we can honor them is to keep going doing what you always did together. I know all to well how tough that first season without them is. Believe me you will feel his presence whenever you are out there hunting. I feel my Dad is with me on every hunt guiding my way.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:49 pm

Great post Waymore! :clap: :handgestures-thumbupright:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:58 pm

Indeed sorry for your loss, wish I could relate but I'm in a completely diff boat. Always wanted a hunting buddy just can't ever seem to find one who has anything remotely called passion for it. I hunt very close to home and is more or less just a reg day. No campfires or swapping stories or good competition amongst friends, it takes a lot away from the total experience in my eyes. I still try to find people to get into the sport but it just seems like a lost cause, I do have a 4 year old girl who currently loves the outdoors so I treasure those memories but come to grips with they prob won't last forever.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:58 pm

I offer my condolences.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Good post, I completely agree. My love of hunting is completely tied to the great memories I have hunting with family in the past. Sadly, I currently do not have any family or friends to hunt with and I really feel like there is a hole in my enjoyment of hunting. Don't get me wrong, I still love it, but something is clearly missing. For me, it isn't just about getting a deer, it is about sharing the experience, the highs and lows, with someone else.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:56 am

Great post, and sorry you lost a friend. Hunting with friends is what I try to use gun season for. During bow season I usually hunt solo and take it very seriously and have my sights set on a big buck only, and a couple does. Once gun season rolls around my friends want to go to camp and get away and hang out, cook on the grill, and just have fun, and hunt also. I go to a couple camps and we are just trying to have fun and shoot a buck, or a doe sometimes, but the pressure is off and the serious big buck hunting gets put on the shelf. I never miss a trip to camp, even when I would rather be big buck hunting sometimes, I always have more fun and create memories with friends that will last forever.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
wihunter

Unread postby wihunter » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:51 pm

Octang wrote:Good post, I completely agree. My love of hunting is completely tied to the great memories I have hunting with family in the past. Sadly, I currently do not have any family or friends to hunt with and I really feel like there is a hole in my enjoyment of hunting. Don't get me wrong, I still love it, but something is clearly missing. For me, it isn't just about getting a deer, it is about sharing the experience, the highs and lows, with someone else.

X2 for me

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”