What do you do when not seeing rut activity but should be

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

What do you do when not seeing rut activity but should be

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:33 am

All the different spots I’ve hunted this season (3 different properties and 12 diff spots so far) and haven’t seen any real rut activity. 3-4 spots are fairly low pressure and have been first time sits.

I’ve got a buck pegged but not sure I really want him. Need closer view.

Have sat several areas with prior mature buck activity and just not seeing it. Not sure what the problems are.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Peeps22
500 Club

Re: What do you do when not seeing rut activity but should be

Unread postby Peeps22 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:48 am

Im in the same boat this year. Had real good mature buck action the last week of october and the first week of november (was down in Indiana). Came back early last week wednesday due to storms and flooding down there.

Sat everyday once we got back in some of my best spots without seeing much wednesday night through saturday.

Decided to try and overlooked spot on sunday a.m. next to a road and a parking lot. Saw a shooter right at first light coming back to his bed. Never got a shot... saw 2 more small bucks and 4 does throughout the morning.

Going to keep hitting some more of these spots this week before our gun opener on Saturday.

Keep at it!
Killtree

Re: What do you do when not seeing rut activity but should be

Unread postby Killtree » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:45 pm

I have seen a lot of good rut activity this week, but no shooters.
I have seen dinks chasing does all over.
Gun season comes in tomorrow and we are supposed to have high winds and bad storms, but I am hoping to get out and still hunt the thick stuff.
I have had a lot of success still hunting during lockdown. If they won't come to me I go to them.
:violence-bowandarrow:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”