Wisconsin Public Land During Gun Season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

weatherdude

Wisconsin Public Land During Gun Season

Unread postby weatherdude » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:11 pm

I haven't hunted on public land in Wisconsin during gun seasons before. Is it a nightmare or is it still worthwhile to get out there and bowhunt? I think Saturday is the gun opener here and that will be my next opportunity to hunt. If so, how do you change your hunting style accordingly?
Last edited by weatherdude on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAK
500 Club

Re: Wisconsin Public Land During Gun Season

Unread postby JAK » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:15 pm

I do deer drives but used to sit with pretty good success. Remote areas in swamps always worked for me that was all pre beast seen deer never killed a big one that way but it could happen.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:46 pm

It depends. Used to hunt a property up north and pressure wasn't bad. Southern part of the state though I bet is pretty busy.

One of these years I'll put my money where my mouth is and hunt a gun opener in southern wisconsin
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:47 pm

Hunt spots nobody else will go, and use access points to predict areas deer will get pushed from.

Both of my gun kills could have been taken with the bow.

Pressure is really related to where you are hunting. Some areas of the state are total war zones. Others, you rarely see another hunter
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:06 pm

Find water and cattails. If you don’t ask yourself if you’re really doing this seven times on your way out there, you’re not going far enough.
wihunter

Unread postby wihunter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:10 pm

matt1336 wrote:Find water and cattails. If you don’t ask yourself if you’re really doing this seven times on your way out there, you’re not going far enough.

then if you get one wonder how the heck you get it out of there
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:37 pm

wihunter wrote:
matt1336 wrote:Find water and cattails. If you don’t ask yourself if you’re really doing this seven times on your way out there, you’re not going far enough.

then if you get one wonder how the heck you get it out of there

Like Dan says......”worry about that when you have one down”. :lol:
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:54 pm

I think if you hunt during the week, the pressure isn't near as bad. Mon, Tue & Wed, I've had very little pressure. I'll be out there with my bow next week, if I can find some area I have all to myself. Also weekdays during ML season are typically not too bad either.

Awesome quote Matt!

Yeah...worrying about getting one out, is the last thing on my mind!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:05 pm

^^^ill admit that there’s a little part of me telling me to not enter that sea of cattails and pain every time I do. I haven’t listened to that little wimpy me yet...at least not while I’m actually out there. I may have a time or two while still laying in bed though.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:18 pm

matt1336 wrote:^^^ill admit that there’s a little part of me telling me to not enter that sea of cattails and pain every time I do. I haven’t listened to that little wimpy me yet...at least not while I’m actually out there. I may have a time or two while still laying in bed though.

I'm right there with ya buddy! No one really "likes" busting thru mud & cattails.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:28 pm

Some of the drives we do has me wondering what the heck I'm doing knee deep sometimes more in muck :? but when we get one good one well makes it worth all the blood sweet and tears. 8-)
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:06 pm

Me and some buddies are trying opening weekend in SE Wisconsin for the first time ever this year. Have a place in mind that’s a good half mile walk in at least knee deep water, so it’ll be interesting to see if we have any company.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:35 pm

tgreeno wrote:
matt1336 wrote:^^^ill admit that there’s a little part of me telling me to not enter that sea of cattails and pain every time I do. I haven’t listened to that little wimpy me yet...at least not while I’m actually out there. I may have a time or two while still laying in bed though.

I'm right there with ya buddy! No one really "likes" busting thru mud & cattails.

I do. :whistle:

Every step I take I know I’m leaving more and more guys behind me. The acrid smell of marsh peat makes me feel alive. I love that smell. :lol:
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:16 pm

Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:

Every step I take I know I’m leaving more and more guys behind me. The acrid smell of marsh peat makes me feel alive. I love that smell. :lol:

OK...Sorry...Dewey does. 8-)
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:08 am

tgreeno wrote:
Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:

OK...Sorry...Dewey does. 8-)

Count me in on that too Dewey! Love it. I'm a marsh rat through and through.

Last year was the first time I "suffered" gun hunting the big public marsh I bow hunt. I got there early and there was already nearly 20 vehicles at the boat launch. I motored by 12 boats that had outboards and couldn't get very far. I walked in through some of the thickest crap for nearly a half mile while most guys dove off the channels less than 100 yards. I saw deer all day long albeit nothing big enough to shoot but I NEVER saw orange. Totally worth the work and I felt a lot safer from the crazies being farther away too.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”