Should I report Violations?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Should I report Violations?

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:06 am

Pretty much.

I carry pruners much of the time. I also don't know if I'm allowed to use them - an unintentionally deflected arrow in the guts or a branch clipped with hand pruners? Not a tough call IMO. The hand pruners are more for crossing thru areas with lots of thorny vines - life is nicer using the pruners.

I was poking fun at Dewey and Rut.

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:13 am

Rich M wrote:Pretty much.

I carry pruners much of the time. I also don't know if I'm allowed to use them - an unintentionally deflected arrow in the guts or a branch clipped with hand pruners? Not a tough call IMO. The hand pruners are more for crossing thru areas with lots of thorny vines - life is nicer using the pruners.

Yup. Call me a violator if you want...I’m not saying anyone is, but I use my pruners all the time walking in climbing up the tree and while in the stand. You’re exactly right, I’m not risking a wounded animal or a chance at an animal I want to shoot due to a rule that is the equivalent to j walking down a quiet street in a subdivision.
Pa outdoorsman

Unread postby Pa outdoorsman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:30 am

Not sure what state some of you are in, but here in Pa, we are allowed to leave stands up during the season, and I do, I have sets for myself, but also my wife, who can not use a climber due to back issues, and sometimes cant hunt the stands I put up due to her pain, and uses a blind instead, I do find it ironic that you would admit to breaking the rules yet report those who do, and yes I do believe that there are different degrees of violations, like poaching, baiting or trespassing!

So the point I'm trying to make is, who determines what are reportable violations? the fact is, a law broken is a law broken!

Sorry, I had to play devils advocate...
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:44 am

matt1336 wrote:
Yup. Call me a violator if you want...I’m not saying anyone is, but I use my pruners all the time walking in climbing up the tree and while in the stand. You’re exactly right, I’m not risking a wounded animal or a chance at an animal I want to shoot due to a rule that is the equivalent to j walking down a quiet street in a subdivision.

I'm right there with you Matt. I prune as minimal as needed to be an ethical hunter!

I've come across spots where guys have cut the crap out of areas. More times than I'd like to.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:24 am

Rich M wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up Rich. I was hoping you weren’t trying to turn this into Rutnstrut and I being that bad guys here. For the record I have never turned anyone in for a few cut branches, railroad access or weird parking.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:41 am

I called in violators 6-8 times before I had my bad experience. They were all for hunting out of season, trapping out of season, and gun hunting in a bowhunting area (the middle of a 1,200 acre bow hunting only area. Not guys pushing the edge).

I have noticed a big jump in hunting out of season with a rifle/shotgun since the tagging/checking requirements changed. It seems that a lot of "hunters" like to get a jump on the gun season by a day or two in this neck of the woods.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:59 am

I know Rich was poking fun at Dewey and I. But I want to clarify. I have never turned someone in for minimal branch cutting although I find that and more often. I have turned a few in for delimbing a pine so they can get climbers in them. Also for driving atv's into restricted areas cutting shooting lanes and dumping bait. I have also turned in numerous illegal stands and the wardens in my area always seem happy I do so. The stands are always removed. I truly believe that larger problems start with good people turning a blind eye on smaller issues.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:05 am

Dewey wrote:
Rich M wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up Rich. I was hoping you weren’t trying to turn this into Rutnstrut and I being that bad guys here. For the record I have never turned anyone in for a few cut branches, railroad access or weird parking.

Yup....to be clear was wasn’t accusing anyone of anything. I have nothing against how others hunt.....excluding the substantial violations. Agian that’s left to interpretation. Especially on the beast here. It would seem as though we are a pretty ethical group.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:28 am

Pa outdoorsman wrote:Not sure what state some of you are in, but here in Pa, we are allowed to leave stands up during the season, and I do, I have sets for myself, but also my wife, who can not use a climber due to back issues, and sometimes cant hunt the stands I put up due to her pain, and uses a blind instead, I do find it ironic that you would admit to breaking the rules yet report those who do, and yes I do believe that there are different degrees of violations, like poaching, baiting or trespassing!

So the point I'm trying to make is, who determines what are reportable violations? the fact is, a law broken is a law broken!

It really depends on what type of public land you hunt. Is it state, county, or federal? Is it managed forest? They all have their own regulations. I hunt 2 counties. One allows stands to be up all year, and allows baiting. The other, stands come down every day, but you can use screw in steps. And no baiting. Oh and I have a spot I hunt where my tree is in one county, and I shoot into the other. So I can leave it up all season, but hunt the other county legally.

I have left my stand up overnight where it is not allowed. But only if I leave in the dark, and come back before light. If its gone when I get back, that's the risk I take. As far as what I deem reportable, there is no right answer. That is totally up to you. There is no law saying I have to report everything I find, so I'm not doing anything wrong by not reporting things. It's just an ethics thing, which is a very highly opinionated area. What I see as ethical, another might not.

I see many laws in wisconsin that simply punish the honest man. There are always guys who go out and chainsaw shooting lanes, and put bait, and put up illegal stands regardless of rules. All those laws do is stop the honest guy who really wouldn't do what they are hoping to prevent. If somebody wants to break a rule, they will. So yeah what I do is a gray area. I break rules because I view it as the ethical thing to do, and don't see it impacting anybody else.

I totally support the guys who do everything by the book. But I think there is also a point where enough is enough, and you simply can't do everything in life perfectly legal. It just isn't feasible. I see it with lots of things in life. Ever try driving without ever going above the speed limit? Sometimes it's downright dangerous to do so.

I get what you are saying. It is ironic that I go out and break rules, but also have reported illegal stuff. But in the end, I do what I deem to be the best solution to a situation. I ran into a baiter last year. Some might report it, but after talking to the guy, I didn't. And have zero regrets about it. I also regret not turning in family members who put out 20+ illegal stands to claim areas.

So the right answer is do what you think is best. I just try to be consistent.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:43 am

Rut & Dewey - I have nothing but respect for you guys. Just wanted to give a little grief. ;)

We all have triggers for what constitutes a reportable offense and what does not and really good reasons for why we do what we do. To say we should report every little thing is excessive, to report nothing is to live in peace. :lol: :roll:

Hoping everyone has a peaceful non-poacher-interrupted rest of the season!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:11 am

I havnt reported any illegal stands yet, but if they bothered me I would. 11 days ago Dan admitted to leaving his stand up overnite, but maybe where he's hunting has different rules, and I also remember a picture a few years ago, where Dan was in a stand on public, and there was a pruners resting in the Y of the tree, :?

This November my vehicle needed a jump start for the 2nd time, some kid gave me a jump start, he was telling me about a doe he hit but didn't find, in a buck only area with some exceptions. The next day I ran into him and his buddy looking for a blood trail. I helped him look for a little while, but I told him it's a buck only area. This guys buddy ends up telling me that his Dad owns land in northern WI and poaches deer all the time, and burns the bones :shock:

I did just recently emailed the DNR and asked them to patrol a buck only area more aggressively because over Thankgiving weekend I can hear people doing drives and there is a lot of shooting,,,, too much shooting for a buck only area.

I've seen guys drive around on 4 wheelers with chainsaws in tow, , both illegal. I've seen people the weekend before gun season haul out double man ladder stands.. If it bothers you and it's illegal , report away all you want, I just don't think it's right to condemn a innocent person for not reporting some strangers minor infractions.

Some people can be very legalistic, but when you nit pick on them and show them their hypocrisy, ,,, well,,, they don't like that.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:16 pm

I probably broke 10 laws when I got up to go drop a deuce earlier today... Sometimes you just gotta live your life like a free man and reject the boot of tyranny from your throat... Do I carry hand pruners... yep. Do I cut my way through green briar patches - you bet. I have a machete in the truck too in case I have to drag one back out through it... Am I in the woods after dark - sure - it's a long walk out and I have to pack up sticks and stand... if I have to pack it up early just to beat the half hour after sunset rule... I hunt until the buzzer then I pack it up and hike out in the dark.

Do I hunt out of season, hunt on Sunday in MA, use a chain saw to cut shooting runways, use screw in steps or bolt stands to the tree, trespass, etc... no... We have open field laws in MA and I still try to avoid private....
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:38 pm

If I’m not mistaken, most states dnr’s are really understaffed. From what I have seen, this has led to a lot of cherry picking the easy violations and not sinking a ton of time into setting up for days over someone’s illegal bait pile on public land. A few years ago when you had to still check your game in at a check station, the newspaper would be full of citations. This is because one officer could sit a game check station and write tickets all day long for improperly filled out field tag, wives checking in bucks for their husbands, and other slap on the wrist type tickets. There would be 40-50 most first week of gun seasons here in the paper. We went to a telecheck about 3 or 4 years ago. The first year there were no citations issued during that first week of season in my county. This would lead me to think that those guys are grossly understaffed.

I know we have a huge poaching problem in my area. Any buck that has a good set of antlers had better stay out of the fields along the roads after they get hard horned or they will be in some trouble.

I have no grip with most of the dnr guys cause I know they have a pretty thankless job, most people they come in contact with don’t like them and are armed. I’m sure they have some type of training they go through that has them keep situations in their control (like a robodeer, roadside check, or check station checks). Going out into big chunks of public land that they are not familiar with unknowns in front of them is probably something they stay away from if they can. Same with patrolling areas at night looking for road hunters, most of the time that’s a situation out of their control unless it’s a robodeer setup where lots of resources are on site to keep things under control.

Sad but most agencies probably don’t have the resources to go after every guy that clips a few twigs for a shooting lane or that leaves a stand in the tree. I’d much rather those few resources be used to hammer the guys shooting the big bucks at night that are stealing from the guys trying to do it right and keep wildlife populations strong for my kids and future generations to enjoy.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Pa outdoorsman

Unread postby Pa outdoorsman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:55 pm

Jonny wrote:
Pa outdoorsman wrote:Not sure what state some of you are in, but here in Pa, we are allowed to leave stands up during the season, and I do, I have sets for myself, but also my wife, who can not use a climber due to back issues, and sometimes cant hunt the stands I put up due to her pain, and uses a blind instead, I do find it ironic that you would admit to breaking the rules yet report those who do, and yes I do believe that there are different degrees of violations, like poaching, baiting or trespassing!

It really depends on what type of public land you hunt. Is it state, county, or federal? Is it managed forest? They all have their own regulations. I hunt 2 counties. One allows stands to be up all year, and allows baiting. The other, stands come down every day, but you can use screw in steps. And no baiting. Oh and I have a spot I hunt where my tree is in one county, and I shoot into the other. So I can leave it up all season, but hunt the other county legally.

I have left my stand up overnight where it is not allowed. But only if I leave in the dark, and come back before light. If its gone when I get back, that's the risk I take. As far as what I deem reportable, there is no right answer. That is totally up to you. There is no law saying I have to report everything I find, so I'm not doing anything wrong by not reporting things. It's just an ethics thing, which is a very highly opinionated area. What I see as ethical, another might not.

I see many laws in wisconsin that simply punish the honest man. There are always guys who go out and chainsaw shooting lanes, and put bait, and put up illegal stands regardless of rules. All those laws do is stop the honest guy who really wouldn't do what they are hoping to prevent. If somebody wants to break a rule, they will. So yeah what I do is a gray area. I break rules because I view it as the ethical thing to do, and don't see it impacting anybody else.

I totally support the guys who do everything by the book. But I think there is also a point where enough is enough, and you simply can't do everything in life perfectly legal. It just isn't feasible. I see it with lots of things in life. Ever try driving without ever going above the speed limit? Sometimes it's downright dangerous to do so.

I get what you are saying. It is ironic that I go out and break rules, but also have reported illegal stuff. But in the end, I do what I deem to be the best solution to a situation. I ran into a baiter last year. Some might report it, but after talking to the guy, I didn't. And have zero regrets about it. I also regret not turning in family members who put out 20+ illegal stands to claim areas.

I agree, like I said, just playing devils advocate, I think as hunters/outdoorsman, sometimes we are on a slippery slope between what is legal and what is right.
I am always curious as to how others apply their local game laws, some of which are so obviously stupid that its hard to believe that they exist..
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:09 pm

Pa outdoorsman wrote:
Jonny wrote:

I agree, like I said, just playing devils advocate, I think as hunters/outdoorsman, sometimes we are on a slippery slope between what is legal and what is right.
I am always curious as to how others apply their local game laws, some of which are so obviously stupid that its hard to believe that they exist..

Like no hunting on sundays? :lol:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”