Midday sits

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Forkhorn

Midday sits

Unread postby Forkhorn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:51 pm

Just curious what you guy's think about the value in a midday sit for this phase of the rut? I'll be hunting south east Minnesota the 13th thru the 15th and am contemplating doing all day sits. Or would my time be better spent scouting midday for Intel for next year? And only sitting morning and evening.

Jackson Marsh

Re: Midday sits

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:56 pm

I'd sit mid day or all day if you can. You might go awhile or days not seeing a shooter but then he'll appear. Guys get the impression it's non stop action and that is almost never the case, except on special rare days.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Anytime u can be in the woods during the rut increases the odds of putting a buck infront of u. There's no rhyme or reason to the midday movement in my area, u can go 6 days in a row with not a single sighting during midday then blammo on day 7 high noon right under your tree, presenting u with a shot u wouldn't have had otherwise
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:58 pm

Most of the big ones I’ve seen this time of year are generally late morning or midday. I’m a big advocate of if. Like JM said however, expect most of the time to be a boring grind but then there he’ll be!
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:31 pm

I agree... scouting is never a BAD thing. But if you're in a good spot, hunt it.

As November wears on, I personally see more mature bucks in daylight. Cameras agree. Don't know about that neck of the country...but probably similar?

The rut here seems better earlier. The week of Halloween seems good..then it gets spotty..zombie looking young bucks at any and all hours..but big bucks seem random and limited..I'm convinced they lock up with the first does. After that they start moving in search of more hot doe.

My theory and observations anyways.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:55 am

Midday sits, and being in the woods all day if possible is crucial right now. You never know when that hot doe is going to walk by, or a buck moves midday moving from one doe to look for another. Most of my big buck sightings this coming week are late morning and midday. If anything I would skip the evening hunt if I had to skip part of the day. That's just me though, most of my good spots are more setup near bedding for mornings and midday, and with acorns everywhere, evening sits near a food source are tough.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:26 pm

Sit all day. Sit near doe bedding or travel routes between doe bedding and food sources. This time of year if I can my but is glued to a treestand.
Good luck
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Absolutely sit mid day or all day right now.
Blinginpse

Unread postby Blinginpse » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:37 pm

I'm on a 2 week trip on Iowa public now. 3rd day in. Buddy and I have seen bucks every day from 10-3pm. All dinks but none the less we hope
To eventually stumble over 1
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:06 pm

The mid day sit is best IMO is during or the week after peak rut when all the chaos is in motion. Yes you can still find those big boys cruising when they come off those first estrous does earlier, but like many have said that could be a lot of uneventful sits. During peak or even slightly afterwards lends that surge of seeking when you may see a dozen or more different bucks on stand with an occasional doe being chased. All this coincides with what geographical location you’re in as to when your peak rut time hits. Whether you’re 2 states over or 2 counties over or even 2 square miles over. It all happens at different times in different locations. Just need to be observant and ready to put the time in when the sign dictates it.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 am

The buck I shot and didn't find this year was Nov 8th at 12:30.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:57 am

There is no bad time to be in the woods from the last week of October through much of November, depending upon when your gun season is and what the pressure is like. Deer, mature deer, can and do move all hours during the rut. Sit as much as your schedule and stamina allow for, and you will eventually be rewarded for it.
Tempy

Unread postby Tempy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:12 am

I wasn't a believer in midday sits and thought it only applied to areas where there were higher deer densities until I saw a hammer buck trailing a doe and 3 other bucks cruising that area between 1-2pm last week :shock:
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:14 am

I noticed allot of early evening movement this year from about 1-4 cameras in previous years tell miday movement on about 50 percent of the bigger bucks we would get on cam
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:22 am

Im standing in my stand from sunup to sundown starting around nov 5th-18th depending on the year and movement. Ill maybe sit down for 10 minutes here or there but 90% is standing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”