Time

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

pfrizelleSC

Time

Unread postby pfrizelleSC » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:46 pm

I will start off saying that this year has been tough so far, but I continue to learn every time I set foot in the woods. Earlier this season I had an opportunity at the biggest buck of my life and proceeded to bury my arrow to the fletchings on a 36 yd quartering away eight point. This resulted in a long blood trail that went dry after about a half mile. While I was on the blood trail my wife calls and can't even talk she was so excited that she just shot the biggest buck of her life. I was so frustrated that I couldn't find my buck, and it was hard to get myself right to start on her blood trail. After looking for her deer and finding the smallest speck of blood which then opened up in to a great blood trail through the thickest briars imaginable. Watching her reaction as we found more blood and then finally the buck was priceless! It's so hard in today's world not to get caught up in pictures of big bucks and so on, but my wife connecting on a nice buck on her first hunt of the year was better than me finding the buck I hit earlier in the day. We have two boys that are 2 1/2 and 1 year old so both of our time spent in the stand is very limited. So to remedy this I pack my youngest in a hiking pack on my back and let my oldest walk because "he want to kill a buck like momma" we cover as much ground as we can looking for tracks, sign, bugs, sticks, or whatever. Spending time with my family doing what I love is what makes it worth it for me. I want to kill the biggest buck just like the next guy, but I know it will come in time. Having the opportunity I had earlier this year was the culmination of a lot of walking, scouting, and tick removal but it was worth it and takes time. I wanted to hunt this morning, but my oldest has a costume birthday party that he wants me to go to with him so my wife put the brakes on my morning sit. I know I will have some time later in the week. This site is a great outlet to stay away from all the wrong things about hunting and share in the joys of the good. In today's world of NOW NOW NOW and ME ME ME, this season has taught me it's not about me, my buck or my hunt it's about the journey as a hunter and my many many screw ups, successes, people you meet, and all the small things that make it worth it.

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Time

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:24 pm

:clap:

I went through something similar this year. Took a weekend off hunting to spend it with my gf. Zero regrets, and suddenly she is open to looking at moving out of se Wisconsin and going to a more outdoor friendly area of the state. She’s even open to the idea of going to Iowa

Yeah, one weekend was worth it. Make the people around you happy, and suddenly things go good for you
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”