Small island in a pond...one entrance/exit

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briarman

Small island in a pond...one entrance/exit

Unread postby briarman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:36 pm

I found a small island with a few oak trees that sits in a pond about 20yds off the nearest shore, but is connected to the shore by one small mucky swampy strip that is no more than 15ft wide.. Due to its lack of escape routes(other than the deer fleeing by swimming) I had my doubts. Any experience with this fellas? The pond is about 10 acres and the island is probably 1/4 acre. it is very "overlooked". It struck my curiosity. Im trying to improve my"have to see the deer via jumping them to believe they're there" skills...so trying to not bust them out prior to hunting. Seem to small? Seem to limited in escape routes??

WISCOANDY

Re: Small island in a pond...one entrance/exit

Unread postby WISCOANDY » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:42 pm

Throw a stand at it. One way to find out
hunter_mike

Re: Small island in a pond...one entrance/exit

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:02 pm

Ive canoed out to an island that was completely surrounded by 4ft deep water before. About 50 yds of open water from mainland. It was probably only 1/4 acre in size and there were beds and good rubs on it. Never hunted it though, not even sure how i would. Unless the marsh was frozen.

I'd say its worth an sit!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”