Scent and hunting draws in the evenings

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Scent and hunting draws in the evenings

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Any advice for avoiding contaminating a draw while hunting in or around it in the evenings?

Tonight I bumped a big one out of the drainage leading out of the draw when i was exiting across the field. Don’t think he ever caught on to what i was as he stopped about 100 yards away and stared at me for a good 10 minutes trying to figure out what i was. Fortunately, scent stream was away from him.

I need to hunt the draw he came out of tomorrow afternoon but have no idea how to not get scented when he comes up through it. The draw runs west to east and forecasting a northerly wind...although it probably will be switching some.

Guess could try to set up below the trail but afraid of scent spreading out throughout the draw.

Any advice appreciated!

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
cbay
500 Club

Re: Scent and hunting draws in the evenings

Unread postby cbay » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:50 pm

Getting too close to a draw (bow) with the wind blowing across it can cause your scent to get pulled into it. Even with a stiff wind there can be periods of calm where the thermals can pull you scent in there. Down wind side, but how close is hard to tell it can vary with the situation (size of draw, foilage, wind speed, etc). Cedars can act like a sink (cooler) as well making it more difficult to keep your scent out of there.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:26 pm

Your scent is gonna end up in the draw reguardless especially around closing time u need to set up so he can't get a wiff until he is past u. Still can go south if he's not the first deer through but it's the only way I have found to get a crack. He should be following the terrain from high to low in the eve so get below him. Atleast that's how it sets up in my area if the food source in your area is up high it's gonna be diff.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:25 pm

I personally love using draws to dissrupt scent. Actually I try to utilize them as much as possible. That will vary based on how nasty or defined it is. However I do like your plan w the N winds. If your backed off just enough then might be good when the thermals drop, thays a tough call but I agree w the others. If hes coming up the draw and not crossing it then adjust to the deer sign and hopfully he comes back thru for ya.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:49 pm

You could wait and hunt it on a day that the wind is strong and steady enough to overpower the thermals that draws your scent down the draw. I have had good luck doing this.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:49 pm

Thermals will always win... You need to set up further back where you can have the advantage. The reason he is bedding there is cause you can't get close.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”