Climbing Stick rope mod vs straps

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Climbing Stick rope mod vs straps

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:05 pm

I like the ropes. But to each his own.

Try It and see what you like better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Alan Horn

Unread postby Alan Horn » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:12 pm

JAK wrote:I used accessory cord for mine I'm not really sure if it's 8 mm or not but I even bought some really cheap stuff at Walmart to try before I ordered a bunch and cheap stuff performed they same way.. There is a little sag with the rope but still felt safe and rock solid I thought

Do you still use the rope?
Alan Horn

Unread postby Alan Horn » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:03 pm

tgreeno wrote:I like the ropes. But to each his own.

Try It and see what you like better.

Yep, that's the best way to find out for sure.
I've hunted on the ground mostly for over 40 yrs, used a climber a little thru the years
Got the urge to hunt out of a tree sone this year, but I wanted to be versatile and mobile.
I've not used the setup yet other than trying it on the backyard.
I put eztension straps on 2 sticks using 1" tubular webbing, I used garden hose to stiffin the foot loop so it would be easier to put my foot in the loop...seems to work fine.
Thanks for all the feedback.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:40 pm

I'm a strap guy, I tried the ropes didn't really care for them. I think you're either a strap guy or a rope guy, you just have to figure out what works best for you.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:58 pm

Rope for me. For my system it's just so much easier and quieter. I've got 10ft of rope on each stick I like a big tree whenever possible but the long ropes also help in the way I set my sticks. I put the first 2 sticks on from the ground then drape the other 2s rope over the top of my 2nd stick, climb up 2nd stick pull up 3rd then set, pull up 4th and its a wrap.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:29 pm

Alan Horn wrote:
JAK wrote:I used accessory cord for mine I'm not really sure if it's 8 mm or not but I even bought some really cheap stuff at Walmart to try before I ordered a bunch and cheap stuff performed they same way.. There is a little sag with the rope but still felt safe and rock solid I thought

Do you still use the rope?

Yea I still use it
Alan Horn

Unread postby Alan Horn » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:42 am

Thanks fellas for the help.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:21 pm

Where are you buying the rope and about what is the average cost to do 3 sticks? Any idea how much weight would be saved on 3 sticks?
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Alan Horn

Unread postby Alan Horn » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:31 pm

I know REI carries 8mm accesory cord.
Lot people using that.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:17 pm

I got mine from alpenglow adventure sports. I got 36 ft I believe for 27 $ and he cut them into 9 ft lengths for me
Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:45 pm

Alan Horn wrote:Hello, I'm new to hang on treestands but I just got a Millenium M7 and Hawk Helium sticks.
For those of you that have tried both straps and the rope mod, which do you prefer?
Pros and cons.
Thanks for any help.

That's my exact set up. I ditched the receiver and use a lone wolf strap with a small chain link. With stand on back I attach strap with just enough slack for the bar to drop in and tighten. I also attached bat wing to stand. Very easy and stable. I use rope mod too which work good. Keep in mind with aiders the bottom could kick out easier so straps might be better
Alan Horn

Unread postby Alan Horn » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:25 pm

Waymore wrote:
Alan Horn wrote:Hello, I'm new to hang on treestands but I just got a Millenium M7 and Hawk Helium sticks.
For those of you that have tried both straps and the rope mod, which do you prefer?
Pros and cons.
Thanks for any help.

That's my exact set up. I ditched the receiver and use a lone wolf strap with a small chain link. With stand on back I attach strap with just enough slack for the bar to drop in and tighten. I also attached bat wing to stand. Very easy and stable. I use rope mod too which work good. Keep in mind with aiders the bottom could kick out easier so straps might be better

That's interesting Waymore, do you wrap the tongue of the stand to prevent damage to the strap?
Do you bolt the batwing on?
Sounds like a good setup...Im interested in the details.
Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:04 am

Alan Horn wrote:
Waymore wrote:
Pros and cons.
Thanks for any help.

That's interesting Waymore, do you wrap the tongue of the stand to prevent damage to the strap?

Yes I taped the tongue to make sure no rough edges and use grade 8 bolt just above tongue for batwing.
TGbow

Unread postby TGbow » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:34 am

Waymore wrote:
Alan Horn wrote:
Waymore wrote:
Pros and cons.
Thanks for any help.

Yes I taped the tongue to make sure no rough edges and use grade 8 bolt just above tongue for batwing.

Thanks. I'm gonna keep this in mind. You talking about a quick link chain link? I think that's what they're called?
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:19 am

IMHO I like the straps more. I don't like when the stick slides down the tree when I step on it and the ropes definitely had more of this type of sag in the stick. I would rather take a chance of the buckle making noise then know that when I step on the stick it WILL make noise sliding down the bark. This was especially true on shaggy barked trees.

If you want the straps longer you can replace the long piece with 1" tubular webbing to the length of your choosing. Tie a figure 8 or an overhand knot to make the loop that goes over the button. I did this and it worked out great. I found the tubular webbing to be tougher than the stock lone wolf strap material as well... My straps start to fray where the strap wraps around the tree cleat on the bottom of the stick. Not an issue with the tubular webbing. It's made for rock climbing and is more more abrasion resistant.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”