After $1000's spent ive accepted it

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

Re: After $1000's spent ive accepted it

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:43 am

Lots of good info. I really agree with what was said about getting acclimated. I really do think you have to embrace the cold and get used to it. I definitely notice it myself that early in the fall I feel like a pansy when it starts to get chilly. But by late november I feel right at home in the cold temps.

One random thing I have noticed is that being well hydrated helps with staying warmer.

Maybe try exposing yourself to the cold for half a day at a time without any external heat source, possibly camp overnight in the backyard. I think its really like any thing if you teach your body that its normal your body will respond to the new normal.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:50 am

Here's another thought that hit me. We are talking a lot about the IWOM and HBS and rightfully so. As I mentioned earlier in this thread my dad sits all day and I've seen him do it in -20 degree weather not considering the windchill. He does it all week long for the WI gun season regardless of temp. He does not own one of these suit. His secret? Well he's naturally warm blooded, I can grab his hand after he's been outside without gloves on in below freezing weather and he's typically warm but the quality of his clothing is his key.

The quality of natural insulation has never/will never be beat. He wears super heavy down bibs and a jacket. So think they are physically heavy to carry. He bought this stuff in the late 70's early 80's and there is not a place that comes close to the amount of fill "power" that his set has. We are in a day of marketing and retailers/clothing manufacturers are REALLY creative at making things sound good that don't really work. Even going with some of the goose down clothing that costs $250+ for a jacket is a joke compared to the amount of down in his clothes. Even the high end Sitka stuff isn't close to what used to be offered for a lot less money. But people just keep buying it. If we as hunters said this stuff is a joke and quit buying the crap that don't work they'd have to actually make good stuff.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:11 am

hunter_mike wrote:Lots of good info. I really agree with what was said about getting acclimated. I really do think you have to embrace the cold and get used to it. I definitely notice it myself that early in the fall I feel like a pansy when it starts to get chilly. But by late november I feel right at home in the cold temps.

One random thing I have noticed is that being well hydrated helps with staying warmer.

Maybe try exposing yourself to the cold for half a day at a time without any external heat source, possibly camp overnight in the backyard. I think its really like any thing if you teach your body that its normal your body will respond to the new normal.

^^^ This helps a lot. I spend a lot of time outside, and I notice that I don't get cold nearly as quickly and often as those that don't. I also crank the A/C in my truck on my feet starting in September when I'm still wearing sandals. You may laugh, but come the cold days of fall, my feet are used to being colder, and I rarely get cold feet. I will occasionally put a hand warmer in my boot while on stand in the extreme cold temps, but it's getting rarer and rarer that I need to do that even.
bcarey

Unread postby bcarey » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:21 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
bcarey wrote:
My feet sweat no matter what, but I've heard of guys using non-scented spray anti-peurspirant on their feet to help reduce sweating, I haven't tried it yet but am going to as thats the main problem I have is getting cold feet.

Try a pair of polypropylene wicking socks as the first layer. They do a great job pulling the sweat away from your skin.

Upping your sock game helps as well. I have a pair of bison wool socks that I wear when it gets really cold and they are much warmer than wool.

Bob

I have a few pairs and they make a little bit of a difference but still sweat and still get cold but I can tolerate cold feet vs a cold body.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:20 am

I get cold easily, but have learned how to keep warm on really cold days.
-Don't sweat. If you sweat change at your spot.
-Dress in layers, I wear up to four layers top and bottom, and 2 layers of socks and sometimes 2 layers of gloves are especially important
-A windproof suit like cableas wooltimate or berber fleece will help dramatically
-A very warm hat/face mask and neck warmer can help dramatically
-Take plenty of food, like twice as much as you would usually eat, and eat constantly. It takes a lot of calories to keep you warm
-Stay hydrated. It's easy not to drink much water in the cold, but your body needs it to maintain its temperature.
-Sitting on a south or east slope will give you the most sun on a cold day

I know all this has already been said, but it truly does help, as I have learned the hard way over the years. I have never tried any hand warmers or other special products, those may help also.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:58 am

The one thing that I can add to Brancher's post is to try the Thermacare back wraps. I put them over my kidneys and it really helps me. My back is wrecked and they are essential for me. The wraps will run for a good solid 8-10 hours.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Just got off the phone with my uncle. He has always been the guy who was cold. When I got my iwom, I took it over to his house to show him it. He ended up buying one and just called me today to tell me how much he loved it. Shot a deer out of it as well this morning. Spike buck. Said he hasn’t been that comfortable on stand in 10 years.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
carmmond

Unread postby carmmond » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:25 pm

I know for years I fought this as a kid..... I kept getting warmer and heavier gear and could never keep warm, the better the gear it seemed to get worse. Then one year I did light layers and 400gram boots and I can now sit all day. What was happening to me is I would sweat going out and in a mater of an hour or two I was toast. Now I go in light layers minimal boots and maybe take a back pack out with me with a couple of heavy items and I'm good to go.
Try it because if your wet at all when you get to the stand you don't have a chance to make it.

For me the answer was go lighter!
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:11 pm

Dewey wrote:I would love to buy a HBS so I could use both for comparison. Problem is they don't make them in Predator Camo anymore and I don't like any of the currently available patterns.

If anybody has one in Predator I would seriously consider buying it.

I think each one has advantages and disadvantages but in the end they are both great for a cold weather hunter. You really can't go wrong with either one.

I have one in Predator Camo but I wouldnt get rid of it for anything. The camo is amazing and I just never get cold in it. In 30 years of hunting, its the only thing that always keeps me warm!
I take my Bowhunting seriously
carmmond

Unread postby carmmond » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:56 pm

Mathewshooter wrote:
Dewey wrote:I would love to buy a HBS so I could use both for comparison. Problem is they don't make them in Predator Camo anymore and I don't like any of the currently available patterns.

I think each one has advantages and disadvantages but in the end they are both great for a cold weather hunter. You really can't go wrong with either one.

I have one in Predator Camo but I wouldnt get rid of it for anything. The camo is amazing and I just never get cold in it. In 30 years of hunting, its the only thing that always keeps me warm!

If enough guys wanted it I wonder if you could do a group buy and talk them into making them again???
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:57 pm

carmmond wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:

If enough guys wanted it I wonder if you could do a group buy and talk them into making them again???

Funny you say that. I was gonna email them and ask the same question. :lol:
carmmond

Unread postby carmmond » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:04 pm

Dewey wrote:
carmmond wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:

They are both WI companies don't see why not unless there was some sort of fall out????
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:01 pm

carmmond wrote:
Dewey wrote:
carmmond wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:

They are both WI companies don't see why not unless there was some sort of fall out????

There was some talk on archery talk about it and it sounds like predator charges a pretty penny to use their pattern. Even iwom took a risk to get it. Happy they did though.

I do agree. I think a hbs has its purpose. I just think for the rut and gun season for me, an iwom is the best fit. If I did all late season I might’ve done the hbs
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:40 am

I have some Cabelas insulated pants and those things rock. I get very cold and man they keep me toasty. Full zipper along the length of the leg so you can vent and put them on without removing your boots., Waterproof, wind proof, they're nice. I have the matching parka and I'm good to go. My problem has always been my feet. I wear Muck Woody Elites (don't think they're made anymore) which are insulated and fleece lined. Even with 2 pairs of wool socks and toe warmers I still get cold feet. Just ordered some boot blankets. Will put the large hand warmers in them as well. I think that would do it. I also have a fleece lined hat and an under armor cold gear balaclava. Hands are a problem too. Holding the bow in cold weather is like holding a large heat sync that just sucks the warmth out of your hand. Even with thick gloves. I put hand warmers on the top of my bow hand as to not impact my grip on the bow. I wear a lot of heavy merino for base and insulating layers. I agree - staying warm out there can get expensive..... unfortunately...
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:30 am

I like to apply the grabber warms liberally. Two on back over kidneys, one on each thigh, warmers in the muff or pockets, and occasionally toe warmers... they work great!
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”