After $1000's spent ive accepted it

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

After $1000's spent ive accepted it

Unread postby briar » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:59 am

I simply cannot stay warm sub 30 degrees. Ive got $1000's of wool, wolfskin, boot blankets, layer upon layer of merino, regular wool, windstop...everything and in 2 hours im frozen. I have tried it all for 30 years and i finally have to be honest and admit i simply cant take the pain of it.

My days of most of November hunting are over i believe.

Ragingun

Re: After $1000's spent ive accepted it

Unread postby Ragingun » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:04 am

I've done the same. Last resort is buying a HBS or IWOM this year. I'm young but as skinny as a rail. Freaking irritating that I can't sit out. My 'ole man sits all day long. Makes me angry I can't stay out there.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:08 am

I completely understand the delimma. Spending lots of time making muscles "Grrrr", working my toes, etc., no stranger to it. Bought some berber windshear this year for first time, wore once in the 40's (90+ % humidity and winds), and still got the chills. Those trees don't get any easier to climb and sure are cold.
The only hope i have and allows me to hang in there the way i do is with handwarmers all over. I tie paracord around them and hang them around my neck and down my chest and that helps a lot.
Last resort is one of those IWOM or HBS thingies. Starting to sound like a serious reality for the future.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:10 am

Ragingun wrote:I've done the same. Last resort is buying a HBS or IWOM this year. I'm young but as skinny as a rail. Freaking irritating that I can't sit out. My 'ole man sits all day long. Makes me angry I can't stay out there.

I'm young and built like an overweight gorilla and I am always cold. It's either the iwom, or lots of early ice fishing for me.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:13 am

Have you tried spending more time outside when you are not hunting? I always think it's interesting that 30 degrees in November/December feels so cold, but 20 degrees in February is like t shirt weather.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:41 am

Redman232 wrote:Have you tried spending more time outside when you are not hunting? I always think it's interesting that 30 degrees in November/December feels so cold, but 20 degrees in February is like t shirt weather.

This. I completely agree.

I work construction so I’m out in the elements a lot. You definitely acclimate to the conditions. Not that I don’t get cold on those December hunts.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:57 am

Redman232 wrote:Have you tried spending more time outside when you are not hunting? I always think it's interesting that 30 degrees in November/December feels so cold, but 20 degrees in February is like t shirt weather.

There's a ton of truth to this. Single digits is where I truly struggle to stay warm. 30's is pretty comfortable to me.

I'm just a cold blooded person though. It's just crazy to me that people survive without AC and keep their houses 75 degrees in winter. My thermostat is set on 65 throughout winter and I walk around in shorts and a tshirt.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Islandhunter

Unread postby Islandhunter » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:59 am

Calories are also important, are you bringing ample food? High calorie, high fat/protein are the best from what I understand, I have to eat a considerable amount when sitting all day with cold temps.

When not moving, sitting still in cold weather your body burns calories to stay warm. I have found this to be very helpful in both long, cold sits in the tree stand and while fishing overnights in a boat during the winter in MN(this is a s about as cold as it gets).

A small thermos with a hot beverage helps as well.
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:18 am

As said, food is very important; I have a friend that was the type that never ate breakfast. He would freeze out while hunting. I said: man you got to eat breakfast and get some food in your belly. He now eats breakfast every day of the year.

Any artificial heat helps me, a battery operated vest and the disposable hand warmers work well.

There was a time when I would take a thermos of hot chicken broth.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:46 am

Generally I wouldnt say this to anyone but if that is the only options id consider electronic heating sources. They have developed intriguing heated vests for under layer and iv also seen jacket warmers. My feet always give me trouble but thats just something ill deal w forever. No way could I give up November... struggling w the cold has been issue for me bc im a skinny dude. Those hot hands foot warmers are stick on now, so one thing iv started doing is sticking them on the middle layers throughout my apparel, I even put one inside the top of my hat. I really liked the warm breakfast tip...ill try it.

Hope this helps.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:05 am

I bought an iwon last year & its helped me a lot. The older I get I just cant stand the cold anymore. Mike
JSnake

Unread postby JSnake » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:07 am

It rarely gets cold enough down here during season to drive me out of the stand. It's usually the other way around actually. I heard about this guy and his techniques on Joe Rogan's podcast...might be worth a read. Wim Hof also has his own website. WARNING: doing the breathing technique IN a tree stand could be dangerous. Just posting to show the way people can become acclimated and comfortable in the cold via his methods 8-)

Wim Hof Technique
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:14 am

Get a heater body suit or IWOM. Low 20s for more than a couple hours or 30s with wind all day , I break out my HBS. It's an extra 5 minutes to get into in the stand but totally worth it when trying to sit that long in the cold . My son will steal it on Saturday morning I just know it ! :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:53 am

E72 wrote:Get a heater body suit or IWOM. Low 20s for more than a couple hours or 30s with wind all day , I break out my HBS. It's an extra 5 minutes to get into in the stand but totally worth it when trying to sit that long in the cold . My son will steal it on Saturday morning I just know it ! :lol:

X2

Save yourself some money and do this right away. I wasted $1000's on cold weather clothing that never really did the trick. IWOM and HBS cost a fraction of that and they work great.
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:03 am

IWOM is amazing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”