Deer don't smell me video.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Deer don't smell me video.

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:02 pm

https://youtu.be/sx4bOlQxGGA

Here is another head scratcher on why deer don't or do smell you. I had just got out of work, hiked in 3/4 of a mile sweaty n nasty. Had my same hunting pants on I killed both my deer in this yr n I'm pretty sure they still have blood on em from last yr too. They were in my garage all summer. Had a old Dickies jacket that is my fishing jacket that has also not been washed since who knows when. I did have on rubber knee boots.

The conditions were dry and cool (39 degrees) with very light north winds. He came right into my wind also. Just makes you go hmm.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Deer don't smell me video.

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:14 pm

Were u treated with U V killa? :lol: Good stuff thanks for sharing
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:20 pm

I thought Michigan deer NEVER do that kind of stuff,,, only Wisconsin deer do, hence why scentlok is a must in Michigan
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:28 pm

john1984 wrote:I thought Michigan deer NEVER do that kind of stuff,,, only Wisconsin deer do, hence why scentlok is a must in Michigan

He eats the leaves right where I just stood. Had my jacket n bow n back pack on the ground, and set my climber up. I was waiting for him to bust out the whole time. One thing, if you look hard at the last few frames to the left where he walks away. That is the human trail. He walks right down it. I'm sitting just off it. It's deep in the woods so I seldom see people but hikers do come by occasionally. The bedding is right off the trail. Maybe they r conditioned for human scent to be normal here?
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:01 pm

Had a doe and fawn do the same thing last evening.....guess Michigan deer are easy any more! :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:36 pm

Its not that they don't smell you, its more that different deer react different... The buck I shot and did not recover last week came straight into the wind too... The point you should get out of this is when you see advertisement and sponsored video's of guys using scent control and having deer walk down wind of them, is that proves nothing. It happens to all of us, scent control or not.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:00 am

oldrank wrote:https://youtu.be/sx4bOlQxGGA

Here is another head scratcher on why deer don't or do smell you. I had just got out of work, hiked in 3/4 of a mile sweaty n nasty. Had my same hunting pants on I killed both my deer in this yr n I'm pretty sure they still have blood on em from last yr too. They were in my garage all summer. Had a old Dickies jacket that is my fishing jacket that has also not been washed since who knows when. I did have on rubber knee boots.

The conditions were dry and cool (39 degrees) with very light north winds. He came right into my wind also. Just makes you go hmm.

It is amazing how some just don't react. I've watched some hit my ground scent and boogie, while others paid no heed. About 30 years ago, I'd of called that 'stupid dies' :D Nice looking you buck though. Too bad for him, probably won't make it to the next season.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:02 am

Wetfoot wrote:
oldrank wrote:https://youtu.be/sx4bOlQxGGA

It is amazing how some just don't react. I've watched some hit my ground scent and boogie, while others paid no heed. About 30 years ago, I'd of called that 'stupid dies' :D Nice looking you buck though. Too bad for him, probably won't make it to the next season.

He probably won't make it passed next week.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:58 am

I have had yearling bucks walk right on my entry trail and upto my tree and literally lick my tree steps used for climbing, then proceed to browse dead downwind of me.

I do practice scent control but I don't believe for a second that deer didn't smell me at least a little bit. Some deer just react differently. I find that the younger deer - fawns and yearlings - generally don't associate human scent with danger - yet. Give them another year and they'll be blowing a different tune. Occasionally I get old nanny does downwind who will also browse and tolerate scent, though you can see their body language change quickly from calm to alert.

I believe bucks 2.5yrs or older simply do not tolerate any human scent here in Michigan. The buck I killed this year crossed my entry trail the evening before I killed him and he became extremely spooky after doing so. I think had I hunted the stand I seen him out of the first evening and walked on the same trail I probably wouldn't have had a chance at him again. Thankfully i had a 2nd stand setup about 60 yards away so I didn't have to cut the same trail.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:29 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Were u treated with U V killa? :lol: Good stuff thanks for sharing

:lol:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:38 am

Every deer is different. For every video someone has of deer not spooking, there is one that shows opposite. One thing about yearlings is they have smelled hunters and been passed. Based on that yearling dispersal article I shared, they can travel a really long ways this time of year. It makes me wonder how many hunters they actually smell during the excursion. Rarely have I seen a mature buck stay calm below a hunter's stand though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”