Thermals and precipitation

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jbone23

Thermals and precipitation

Unread postby jbone23 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:36 pm

Are thermals effected when its raining, overcast or in general not sunny out. Worried about trying to setup on a leeward ridge in the morning relying on thermals to push my scent up.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Thermals and precipitation

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:23 pm

Yes, in cloudy rainy weather u wanna get below them it's not gonna rise. Gonna drop down the slope then follow drainage in valley generally. Partly cloudy is a crap shoot get high and keep your fingers crossed
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
weatherdude

Re: Thermals and precipitation

Unread postby weatherdude » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:33 pm

jbone23 wrote:Are thermals effected when its raining, overcast or in general not sunny out. Worried about trying to setup on a leeward ridge in the morning relying on thermals to push my scent up.

I agree with Boogieman. If it is warm out you can still have some thermals rise in the rain but it is going to be less so than a clear day. If it is cloudy and cold the rain will drag air down and keep the thermals from rising much at all. You will still get thermals when it is cloudy if it is not raining. They wont be as intense as a clear day but the heat from the sun will still reach the surface and induce thermals.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”