Deep South big woods and select cut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldscooldarton

Deep South big woods and select cut

Unread postby oldscooldarton » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:27 pm

I’m new to posting here but have been following for a couple years. The terrain I hunt down here in Louisiana is much different than what most of you guys are used to. But I have found many similarities between the marshes up north and some of the CRP or cutovers here. Main difference seems to be its harder to narrow down potential buck bedding here. Large areas of super thick stuff that is relatively dry, bordered or surrounded by large chunks of bottomland hardwoods. Enough of that, onto my question...

I have an area that consist of a large 300 acre bedding area(9 year old cutover) to the south, a smaller 150 acre select cut to the north. There’s a shallow slough/creek running east/west through hardwoods separating the two chunks.

I just started hunting this area last year on a couple hunts with lots of activity during the rut including one mature buck that never presented a shot. I only get to hunt this piece of land 8-10 days a year with very minimal pre/Post season scouting. All of the hunting is focused around pre and peak rut. Access to the area is from the south and then from east when I get within 300 yds or so.
The deer I’ve seen here have been traveling in just about every direction you would expect. From one bedding area to the other on a north/south trail, feeding east/west down the slough, young bucks cruising east west on the slough, at ALL times of day...
I’m curious if anyone here would care to share how they might attack this kind of spot if you were me. I’m sure there’s questions that I might need to answer to get a better answer. I don’t want to post an aerial for obvious reasons but I might could show it to someone not from down here... thanks guys

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”