Ice in the swamp

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Forkhorn

Ice in the swamp

Unread postby Forkhorn » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:44 am

So I have been waiting to hunt this spot for a couple years and finally have the opportunity today. I'm sitting a very small micro island in the center of a very large cattail swamp. All the hardwoods surrounding it have been pounded this last weekend by gun hunters from the public and private. Problem is there is 1" of ice all the way out here. Does the ice affect the deer traveling deep in the swamp? It was a bear cat for me to get here because of the ice, I'd Imagine it the deer won't enjoy it either. Anyone have experience with these conditions?

hunter_mike

Re: Ice in the swamp

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:58 am

I know its been discussed quite a bit on here. Here is one thread, but not the one I was looking for: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17285

Yeah it makes hunting tough especially when its too thin to hold you up, or only thick enough to hold you up half the time. Its even tougher hunting stuff like that when theres no snow because you cant see tracks really anywhere either. I have not had good luck hunting when its like that in the swamp but I can't tell if its because I sound like a dumptruck breaking thru the ice or if its because the deer have moved elsewhere.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:07 am

That's a great question. Following...
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:15 am

My understanding is that deer won't like walking on ice, especially if they are breaking through. However, if they are pushed out of the high ground, they are in there. Just might not move much for you due to the ice.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”