On the trail of nice 5 year old... please help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhuntermnsd

On the trail of nice 5 year old... please help

Unread postby Bowhuntermnsd » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:13 am

I’m hunting a nice 5 year old deer and I need your advice.

Here is the scenario…
I’m hunting my private land 4.5 hours from my house, and I have 4 little kids so time in the woods is limited. However, I went out last weekend (Sat, Sun, and Mon) and saw him 3 different times (50, 80, and 200 yards away) from 3 different stand locations. My woods have a ton of 1-3 year old deer and the surrounding properties aren’t hunted too hard.

I have one more weekend to chase this buck so my question is, do I go this coming weekend or the following weekend?
This weekend (Nov. 11, 12, & 13) would give the woods 4 full days to rest and the following weekend (Nov. 18, 19, & 20) would provide 11 full days. The obvious answer is to wait, but will he still be in my woods? Will he be locked down?

Rut activity: younger bucks have definitely started chasing, younger bucks are running around in pairs, big one was alone or following deer chasing from a distance, haven’t seen bucks aggressive toward other bucks. Small scrapes everywhere.

My biggest mental challenge is that in my mind I have linked the 18-20 weekend to be a weekend where smaller bucks get the leftover does while the big ones are locked down, and the earlier rut dates or Thanksgiving weekend as my best chance for success. The only evidence I have for thinking this are past years cam pics of mature deer.

My history with this deer has got me all jacked up and I could easily make a stupid mistake… Do I go this weekend or wait???
If you say wait, please give me your rationale… I need logic to fight these emotional impulses. :?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”