Salvage the Season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

blizzardhunter
500 Club

Salvage the Season

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Kind of bummed today. After this Friday was supposed to have 9 days of hunting off work. Well, the place I'm working has been getting in a pretty big financial bind. I had a new job lined up and I was supposed to put in my notice when I got off vacation. Well some borderline to blatant illegal doctoring of contracts and the books has started. I decided it was time to separate myself from the company so I'm not involved anymore than I am. I'm starting my new job tomorrow which I'm happy about but had to give up my week of vacation. Really kills my plans. Going to very limited on when I can hunt now.

Ashreve93

Re: Salvage the Season

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:10 pm

Sorry to hear that. Good luck at your new job! Someone shared a story once of how they, too had limited time in the woods. It was on the podcasts, I hope he makes himself known if he sees this. He said school prevented him from hunting as much as he wanted, so he had to learn how to hunt more effectively. It ended up helping him in the long run forcing him to use the correct strategies to quickly get on a good buck. I feel this experience will help you in a similar way. Good luck this season, you still have time. It only takes 1 good spot to get 1 good buck, you just have to find it.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:17 am

That certainly is a bummer, I know how much I look forward to my rut vacation and to lose it right at the last second would take the wind from my sails. But u r deff doing the right thing, just get the sacrifice out the way now and enjoy the rewards in the seasons to come. Good luck
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:46 am

Sounds like you did the right thing for yourself. Make the most of it and enjoy your weekend hunts.

I would gladly give up a hunting season or two or three to avoid financial/employment problems down the road.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:00 am

It sucks, but I feel your pain. This is my 6th year out of college and in the real world. I've literally hunted maybe 3 half days outside of weekends and holidays in those other five years. This year I took off three days for a Midwest trip, and have another two or three to split up and use during our rut in December. That is still minute to what most have, but I feel as if I'm sitting on a gold mine with that. Good luck to you on the days you get to get out, and congrats on the new job.
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:45 am

I would gladly give up a weeks worth of hunting in order to make sure I had a steady paycheck. Sucks you didn't get to use your vacation. I used all mine the last two weeks now I'm down to only being able to hunt on Saturday afternoons. Backed up on a bunch of projects now so have to work Saturday mornings for awhile.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:50 am

Thanks guys. I'm hoping I can get into some magic one of the weekends coming up.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:10 pm

Salvage your career!
That's a better alternative in my eyes ;)

I've gone through many deer seasons needing to compromise time in the woods due to obligations!

I get it - still tuff though...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Babscanes

Unread postby Babscanes » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:05 pm

Keep it in perspective the job is more important for the long term of you and your family.

Get out there when you can and good luck. You never know sometimes it only takes a couple minutes to get one.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”