Locked up with a doe

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ugly_Duck

Locked up with a doe

Unread postby Ugly_Duck » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:47 am

Kicked up my target buck bedded down with a doe, they didn't seam very alarmed at all. They trotted off at a medium pace out of sight. Should I expect them bedded in that area for a few days while he waits for her to come into heat. Its thick tagalders that they were bedded in just on the other side of a water filled ditch that is next to my walking path. Trees of any climbing size are very slim in the area so I haven't been able to see them on any of my observation sits. Looking for ideas on how to intercept them. Camp on popular doe paths hoping she will string him along on the way or take more of an offensive approach?

In wildlife ethics the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove his conduct. Whatever acts, they are dictated by his own conscience rather than by a mob of onlookers. Its difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact -Aldo Leopold
HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: Locked up with a doe

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:56 pm

If you have two or even three small trees close and have a lone wolf...try strapping your stand around two or three smaller trees and locking it in on one. Ive tried it, and surprisingly I didnt hurt myself!
Ashreve93

Re: Locked up with a doe

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:59 pm

I think that's what he's doing now. I saw a buck sit a doe like that while spotting. Two days later I saw him alone, 500 yards away. If I were you, I'd be after him tomorrow. For don't travel too far when they are in heat. I've seen the same doe in heat a few times in one day. I think they make a circle, and kinda circle around an area letting bucks know she's in heat. I'd go to where they headed towards 2 hours before light in the thickest crap you can find, and plan an all day sit - midday if you haven't seen them, try a different spot.. But then there's work... I'd call off, hunting is more important.. :lol:
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”