Is a quartering towards/frontal a high percentage shot?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Re: Is a quartering towards/frontal a high percentage shot?

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:56 am

I killed a nice 10 pointer a few years back on a hard quartering to from a tree stand. He was about 10 yards and I slid the arrow between the shoulder and neck and he was dead in 30 yards and about 30 seconds. One of those moments where I was just dialed in and knew I could make the shot and knew enough about their anatomy to fee comfortable with it. Would I take it again with the same feeling, probably, but I've passed it many times since. This deer was not going to give me another opportunity in the situation and I felt confident. I did not use that confidence to start testing more and more marginal shots, so I'm ok with it.

Passed what would have been my biggest buck ever Saturday on a similar angle but at 35 yards with light rain Saturday. Was not confident in that shot and no regrets.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:49 am

john1984 wrote:I only did one frontal shot , 2 years ago, hunting off the ground, 13 yard shot, best blood trail I've ever seen.

What is a bigger kill zone? A deer standing broadside 40 yards away or a frontal shot 10 yArds away?????

I prefer a deer standing broadside at 10 yards. ;)
rff

Unread postby rff » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:19 am

When I was younger I shot and killed a buck presenting a front shot. I was shooting an old PSE Durango with heavy arrows and muzzys. Deer was dead in 50 yards. That was a hard thumping bow, wish I had held onto it.

Now that I'm more educated on whitetail anatomy and practical experience, I would never attempt a front shot or hard quartering too shot. Not a percentage I want to risk/take.
Lu Rome

Unread postby Lu Rome » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:41 am

Last frontal shot on a deer was 2006. Dead straight on at about 12 yards and I was only about 10' off the ground. Arrow went in, buried to the fletch....and never penetrated the chest cavity. Arrow flexed and skipped along the ribs and popped out behind the shoulder. Lucky for me, I caught the jugular. Made it about 200 yards. Shooting a GT hunter Pros with Montecs @ about 415 grn at about 265 out of an old Bear TRX. I don't need to take another one of those.
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:19 am

Kraftd wrote:I killed a nice 10 pointer a few years back on a hard quartering to from a tree stand. He was about 10 yards and I slid the arrow between the shoulder and neck and he was dead in 30 yards and about 30 seconds. One of those moments where I was just dialed in and knew I could make the shot and knew enough about their anatomy to fee comfortable with it. Would I take it again with the same feeling, probably, but I've passed it many times since. This deer was not going to give me another opportunity in the situation and I felt confident. I did not use that confidence to start testing more and more marginal shots, so I'm ok with it.

Passed what would have been my biggest buck ever Saturday on a similar angle but at 35 yards with light rain Saturday. Was not confident in that shot and no regrets.

I’ve killed several like that with the bow including a big north woods buck. I saw them all die. It’s a deadly shot. It’s gotta be close range and you need to be confident your broadhead will make it through to the opposite armpit of the deer. I won’t hesitate to take that shot again if the situation is perfect
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:43 pm

Anyone want to post from the ground exactly where you would aim?
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:46 pm

HoosierG5 wrote:Anyone want to post from the ground exactly where you would aim?

I wouldn’t take that shot from the ground. The hard quartering shot I was talking about needs evelvation to happen. You gotta put it in between the neck and the shoulder at and angle that is going to take out both lungs. I’ve got the heart on that shot as well. The shot is close range, id say within 15 yards so the correct angle happens. You want a pass through.
From the ground you’re not going to get an exit with your arrow. That means very little blood. The deer will internally bleed= sparse blood on the ground.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”