Food sources

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rockytophunter

Food sources

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:00 pm

Hey guys, I have been quite here lately, just trying to soak in all the info I can. I have yet had a successful hunt. I just can't seem to get it right with the monarch of the woods. I have watched a few does and a young 6 a few times. Went today and sat in the woods with a great wind for 12hrs and didn't see anything which is very dissapointing. I did come across a great fresh rub line when I moved for the thermals once my side of the mtn got in the shade. So my question now is what are all of the food sources for deer? I know acorns when they fall and crop fields but what else in the mountains can I look for that they eat? That may be a big reason I'm not seeing many deer now. I am in Southeast TN.

Rockytophunter

Re: Food sources

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:04 pm

Maybe this full moon has them all jacked up?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:21 pm

Not sure what part of the country u r from, but for the majority of the states forget about the food right now save that for a frigid day late season. If nothing else get on a edge downwind of a thicket or a tight funnel. In the world of deer hunting there is all kinds of stuff to talk about food sources, scrapes, rubs, staging areas etc... Fact is that stuff does very lil if anything when it comes to uping the odds of putting a buck infront of u. Very few things are important the journey is figuring out what's important and what is not.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:51 pm

This might help ya. Isitseasonyet started a thread, turned out to be pretty good. Page 3 he lists what a biologist laid out w percentages. Some my apply to your area.

Buck Browse - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40866

Depending on the area and options.... I guess id seek out broad leaf greens in some way. Or possibly switch focus from food to water holes till it can be figured out. Maybe even does bc they are little easier and the rut is ramping up for most.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”