Your average time to get up the tree

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Your average time to get up the tree

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:39 am

If you are using a climber or hanging your stand, what is your average length of time to get up the tree from the time you arrive at the tree.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
welded34
500 Club

Re: Your average time to get up the tree

Unread postby welded34 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:55 am

Sometimes it depends on the tree. It also depends how close I am to a buckbed and how slow and quite I have to be. I move faster in windy conditions but slower in calm conditions. I guess it depends on the situation. But I would say average time for me is like 15 min or so...
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:01 pm

Less then 5 minutes. I use a summit as my main stand.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:05 pm

Climber I could get to 20’ in about 5 minutes with zero noise (shocker, I know :lol: )

Hang on, about 15 on a nice tree. Have done 30 minutes this year only to get down and go on a nicer tree :lol:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:20 pm

Guess I’m slow at 20 but it always takes me a few minutes to cool down from the walk in....get sweaty easily.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:30 pm

Btw, talking about from the time you arrive at the tree, not actual climbing time.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:32 pm

Close to annhour for me from the time I remove my clothes/gear bungeed to the stand hang the steps and stand then get my heavy clothing on and climb up for good
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:51 pm

mheichelbech wrote:Btw, talking about from the time you arrive at the tree, not actual climbing time.

Still less then 5 minutes. I put my safety harness on at the truck. I have one pack I tie to the left side of my stand. Tie my xbow to the right side n I'm in and up in a minute or 2.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:04 pm

I can do it in 5 minutes but usually takes 30 minutes. I’m usually very close to bedding so every movement is very slow. If your in a race your hunt will be over before it starts. I busted out enough bucks at first to learn the hard way.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:13 pm

Im not fast. Probably 15-20. I usually put up stick on then two. Back down. Then throw 3/4 over my shoulders back and up. Back down. Grab stand and pack and tie off bow. Up I go!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Truthfully, I've never timed myself. It doesn't really matter to me.

I take however long it takes me to be as quiet as I need to be. I'm focusing on stealth, not speed.

I used to road race motorcycles. And the first thing they told you to do was, to tape over your speedometer. "You should be focusing on the track, not worrying about how fast you were going. That's one of the first thing guys would ask me after races. "How fast did you get it up too"? I'd say, "I have no idea"?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:36 pm

tgreeno wrote:Truthfully, I've never timed myself. It doesn't really matter to me.

I take however long it takes me to be as quiet as I need to be. I'm focusing on stealth, not speed.

I used to road race motorcycles. And the first thing they told you to do was, to tape over your speedometer. "You should be focusing on the track, not worrying about how fast you were going. That's one of the first thing guys would ask me after races. "How fast did you get it up too"? I'd say, "I have no idea"?

Good point!
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:39 pm

When I first got my hang on setup this summer I was all about trying to get as fast with it as possible. I was getting it hung in 8 mins at my fastest. Once hunting season came in, I haven't thought about speed once. It's all about just getting in the right tree and doing it quietly
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:45 pm

30 in the dark...15 in day light...I work slower in the dark well just because it is dark..also using a viper
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:44 pm

mheichelbech wrote:Btw, talking about from the time you arrive at the tree, not actual climbing time.

IMO 7-15 are solid times. For the opener it feels like an hour! :confusion-waiting: That can account for tough trees, cool down & being quiet. 20 is probably good if your accounting for bad starts, settling in, pulling the bow up, safety tether, get all the gear set, get a drink, etc...

To Old rank and guys doing it in 5 mins :text-bravo:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”