Close to calling it quits

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Re: Close to calling it quits

Unread postby Jhand » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:30 am

dan wrote:Hunting is not something I do... Its who I am.

There is a guy on this very site who can't walk, and takes a wheel chair into public woods alone for the chance to get a shot. There is another guy whom is effected very badly by lymes, and he pushes past the struggles, to get out there. I have a friend whom was a great hunter (also a member here) in his younger days, he shot game all across the globe, and has incredible stories. Now he has un-curable cancer and can barely walk and barely breathe. He is reduced to barely making it in a one room apartment. Yet, despite the doctors, despite the people telling him to stop, he crawls his way out there knowing well that it would be near impossible for him to get even a fawn... He risks his life to hunt. Why? Cause he is a hunter. He has no choice. Its who and what he is.

In my trade people call me a machinist. But Im not, Im a hunter who machines... Your either a hunter, or your not. Wether or not you kill something has nothing to do with it.

Another excellent quote from Dan. One day someone is going to have to do a thread on the best quotes from you.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:25 am

I just lost a buck today. That is by far the lowest point for any hunter. Honestly I would rather go weeks without seeing deer before I would want to deal with the heartache of wounding one. As tough as it is I'm a hunter and I choose to move on and not let it defeat me. I could easily give up for the rest of the season feeling sorry for myself but that's just not me. Quitting is not an option.
jpsmith270

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:41 am

dan wrote:Hunting and killing are two very different things... When you have not killed a deer you think its the most important thing. When in reality, its the quest, the trials, and the failures that build a man. I don't think anyone here cares if you kill a buck or not. And, I personally have a lot of respect for someone who keeps his morals, follows the rules, and never gives up, over someone who cuts corners, cheats, or quits.

Hunting is not killing, Its a way of life. Its what we do. Its our common bond. its not about bringing food home (you could buy a lot more beef for what it costs to kill a deer)

Stand up, brush yourself off, and get back out there. Its supposed to be fun. Enjoy your time in the woods.

I would rather be lost in a swamp at midnight, cold and wet, creating an adventure, than sitting on a bar stool talking about it. Live life brother. Its not about the kill, its the path you take to get there.

Awesome response Dan.

It sure has been a game changer for me by being on The Beast. For me, it has caused me to focus more on the path, quest, chase, and process. This, in turn, has brought so much more enjoyment and appreciation for all things hunting. After all, they call it hunting....not killing.

The off season scouting, map studying, prepping spots, dropping trail cams, logging info in my spreadsheets (I love tracking data and annual patterns), and finally hunting an area with calculated reasoning brings so much enjoyment. A kill is just a bonus.

Like Dan said in an earlier post......don't give up.......never, never, never give up.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:00 am

dan wrote:Hunting is not something I do... Its who I am.

There is a guy on this very site who can't walk, and takes a wheel chair into public woods alone for the chance to get a shot. There is another guy whom is effected very badly by lymes, and he pushes past the struggles, to get out there. I have a friend whom was a great hunter (also a member here) in his younger days, he shot game all across the globe, and has incredible stories. Now he has un-curable cancer and can barely walk and barely breathe. He is reduced to barely making it in a one room apartment. Yet, despite the doctors, despite the people telling him to stop, he crawls his way out there knowing well that it would be near impossible for him to get even a fawn... He risks his life to hunt. Why? Cause he is a hunter. He has no choice. Its who and what he is.

In my trade people call me a machinist. But Im not, Im a hunter who machines... Your either a hunter, or your not. Wether or not you kill something has nothing to do with it.

Exactly. Hunters are born not made. All can hunt but for some it is in our DNA. There is nothing ever that will stop us from hunting.

When I was 16 I sprang my wrist badly​ playing basketball. I taped my recurve to my hand so I could still pull it back and hunted. I have broke my ankle and limped my way with crutches down to the river to fish. It is my life. I will find a way.
1jody256
Facebook: jodypalmerrocketmail@yahoo.com

Unread postby 1jody256 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:47 am

Great answer from every one I feel your pain hunted till 12pm t0day seen a fox squiiole and had abluejay land on my arrow wasn't the best game seeming day but it was great for 7 hours in the woods.
the lazy do not roast any game,but the dilligent feed on the riches of the hunt
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:23 pm

Just remember guys, definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and hoping for different results.

If you aren’t seeing deer, try something different. Keep doing something different until you find what works. It’s a puzzle, keep trying pieces until one works. Just stay positive and enjoy your time away from work, the wife, kids, etc. Hunting is your chance to get away and live.

Worst year of hunting was my first year. Broke my left collarbone halfway through the season. I’m a left handed shot so it was over for me. Could’ve sulked, but instead I manned up, and asked my dad to take me fishing every weekend instead.

That fall of fishing almost convinced to give up hunting and just fish full time. Was absolutely awesome.

Sometimes taking a break is okay. I took the last 2 weekends off since I had a prior commitment with the lady I made in the spring, and I had class today. Now I’m bouncing up and down ready to dive back into the woods. Bigger fire than ever to hunt. All I needed was the break

But don’t let not seeing deer get to you man. Finish the season strong, and this offseason really give it 110%. I would love to take a look at a couple maps for you and try my best to point you in the right direction. I’m sure others would love to help as well
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:29 pm

I've seen 53 deer this season. About 8 sits, 4 with deer. 45 on one sit. After 3 on opening day, I had 4 dud sits, zero deer, enough to send most hunters packing. Killed 3 in the next 3 sits. My best season by far. Killed a nice 7 pointer. And yet, I missed getting a shot off on my target buck on opening afternoon, by a foot AS he decided to just show me his rack and head AND then wander the other way into the thicket. 15 yards. GONE forever perhaps, but I hope not. It may haunt me, excite me, and enthuse me for decades to come. Certainly in my craw right now, BAD, really BAD. I've had a dozen other bucks of this size in my past cross my path while on stand, and all are as crystal clear in my mind now AS they were the day they wandered near my treestand. A dozen wall hangers in 45 years of sitting in deer blinds and treestands is some pretty awful ratios! I hunt hard, really hard too. Seeing big bucks here in Michigan is JUST about nonexistent.

I've killed some nice bucks, lots of does, but never killed that monster. I sat 50 days last year, saw more bucks on the hoof then all the decades of bucks added up together, but I could not close the deal on the big deer I saw 2 times. So, I ended up killing a doe, which was sweet, but I ended another year without that bucket list Booner OR in my case, a 125+ buck.

It isn't easy getting on deer with a bow. Just isn't. I've been sharpening my skills for nearly 40 years, and I keep learning and getting better.

To me, you have to change tactics AND sometimes locations/land to get better OR any results.

This game of hunting deer is a life long passion, and the fact that it is unbelievably hard makes the passion all that more intense. If it was easy, nobody would still be doing it.

The good thing is, there is still season left to change up tactics and reevaluate this season AND for the seasons to come.

Hope you get the spark and land that 1st deer soon.
"Hunt and let Hunt" my new saying...
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:44 pm

1jody256 wrote:Great answer from every one I feel your pain hunted till 12pm t0day seen a fox squiiole and had abluejay land on my arrow wasn't the best game seeming day but it was great for 7 hours in the woods.

I slept in since it was a full moon. Went out at 12:00 sat til dark. Saw 2 nice does at 20 yds at 5:00. Thought a buck was coming since one kept looking back, but figured out it was some other hunter calling on a grunt tube too much. The does got there number now. Did not even scout this spot by boot leather this year. I used Google earth to verify the aerial and it showed a corner point and I just went in. I fooled the does. That was fun.
jpsmith270

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:55 pm

wmahunter wrote:
1jody256 wrote:Great answer from every one I feel your pain hunted till 12pm t0day seen a fox squiiole and had abluejay land on my arrow wasn't the best game seeming day but it was great for 7 hours in the woods.

I slept in since it was a full moon. Went out at 12:00 sat til dark. Saw 2 nice does at 20 yds at 5:00. Thought a buck was coming since one kept looking back, but figured out it was some other hunter calling on a grunt tube too much. The does got there number now. Did not even scout this spot by boot leather this year. I used Google earth to verify the aerial and it showed a corner point and I just went in. I fooled the does. That was fun.

This is one of the things I just love!! Scout on foot or on computer and then dive in based upon conditions. I learn soooo much when I do this. And like you said.....it is a lot of fun in the process.
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:31 pm

Newhunter wrote:I have been hunting for 15 years now, spent countless hours scouting and sitting on stand. I have used various locations with plenty of sign, even kicked a few deer up during my scouting trips, yet during the hunting season I see nothing. Not only does this weigh me down on many levels but it also shreds the confidence I have in my abilities. I am at the end of my rope.........

You got too much time in already to quit. You’re pot committed as they say in poker. Keep after it and try to do things a little differently than you’re doing now.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:16 pm

I see from your profile that you live in a big city.
If I may, are you hunting private or public land?
How far from GR do you drive to hunt?

Based off your geographic location, Unless you have prime private land, odds are, the deck is stacked heavily against you for this reason alone.

You couldn’t pay me to hunt within an hour of where you live.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:43 pm

dirt nap giver wrote:I see from your profile that you live in a big city.
If I may, are you hunting private or public land?
How far from GR do you drive to hunt?

Based off your geographic location, Unless you have prime private land, odds are, the deck is stacked heavily against you for this reason alone.

You couldn’t pay me to hunt within an hour of where you live.

I hunt the same area and know what you're saying.... BUT there are a lot of deer to be seen/had. Mature bucks are a whole different story of course, but over the last few days I have seen 4 different 1.5/2.5 yr olds cruising less than 1/4 mile from a road. You just have to be in the right spot. Does are everywhere, if he just wants 'a deer' in general. Once gun season hits, forget it. :lol:
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:26 am

I have felt similar in the past. Thats when i realized that i was putting too much pressure on myself and sucking all the fun out of hunting. I started figuring out what parts of hunting were the most fun for me and began just focusing on those things. That basically meant more scouting and less sitting in a tree. I know its different for everyone but i hope that helps. Just about every time i go in the woods now, it is a fulfilling experience because i am having fun.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:26 pm

Im also from michigan its tuff I’m just north of you sometimes its about re charging and not always killing. Stay positive.
Earn what’s never given.
Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:12 am

15 years without seeing a deer? I say you should quit. We have enough hunters in Michigan already :mrgreen:

Seriously only you can make that call. If the fire still burns go at it harder. If not take a year off and see if the desire returns

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”