Close to calling it quits

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Newhunter
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/newhunter621

Close to calling it quits

Unread postby Newhunter » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:47 pm

I have been hunting for 15 years now, spent countless hours scouting and sitting on stand. I have used various locations with plenty of sign, even kicked a few deer up during my scouting trips, yet during the hunting season I see nothing. Not only does this weigh me down on many levels but it also shreds the confidence I have in my abilities. I am at the end of my rope.........

I am who I am, like it, love it or leave it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130948647591174/
Ashreve93

Re: Close to calling it quits

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:17 pm

that's a tough place to be man.i can't say I've been in your shoes, because I haven't. I do, however get upset at times about going a few sits without seeing anything.. what i do is go to the fields. Just seeing a doe or a young buck reforms my confidence and makes me want to get back to pushing hard.

Hunting isn't just about deer. It's about separating yourself from civilization. About connecting with nature, and getting a nice breath of fresh air. If you're focusing only on seeing a deer, it is easy to get down on yourself when you don't see much. BUT when your goal is to just enjoy yourself in nature and maybe see a deer if it happens, then you'll enjoy everything a lot more. Its in the mind set man..

Next time you walk in the woods, feel the wind.. don't just focus on the direction. Listen to the leaves rustle, and smell the autumn air. Get back to the basics and think About how much of a good time you're having. It's in the mind set. Positivity of what you have keeps you going.. negativity of what you don't have pulls you down.

Go out today and focus on the positivity, then respond to this post telling me what you saw.. and I don't want to hear what deer you saw.. i want to know what else you saw, there's so much more to hunting than deer.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
Newhunter
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/newhunter621

Unread postby Newhunter » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:33 pm

Ashreve93 wrote:that's a tough place to be man.i can't say I've been in your shoes, because I haven't. I do, however get upset at times about going a few sits without seeing anything.. what i do is go to the fields. Just seeing a doe or a young buck reforms my confidence and makes me want to get back to pushing hard.

Hunting isn't just about deer. It's about separating yourself from civilization. About connecting with nature, and getting a nice breath of fresh air. If you're focusing only on seeing a deer, it is easy to get down on yourself when you don't see much. BUT when your goal is to just enjoy yourself in nature and maybe see a deer if it happens, then you'll enjoy everything a lot more. Its in the mind set man..

Next time you walk in the woods, feel the wind.. don't just focus on the direction. Listen to the leaves rustle, and smell the autumn air. Get back to the basics and think About how much of a good time you're having. It's in the mind set. Positivity of what you have keeps you going.. negativity of what you don't have pulls you down.

Go out today and focus on the positivity, then respond to this post telling me what you saw.. and I don't want to hear what deer you saw.. i want to know what else you saw, there's so much more to hunting than deer.

Thank you
I am who I am, like it, love it or leave it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130948647591174/
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:12 pm

I have to ask, what is it about hunting that u like? Some call it a sport, I don't I think its a instinct. Some have it some don't. But in the terms of sport I got a lot of buddies who play golf, I suck at golf there for I don't play. But I know others who are worse then me who still go every weekend and have a great time. If u enjoy hunting and not just out there bored out of your mind trying to kill something stick with it and u will get better and become very proficient. I think to be good at something you have to luv it, else it feels to much like work and u won't do what it takes to become successful. I also see a problem amongst alot of guys who have baught hook line and sinker the tatics and success portrayed on tv. There's a lot of pure garbage out there to sift through. No offense but if u have gone 15 years without getting any action scrap whatever u r doing and start over. I know most info on here is geared towards big bucks, but there's some stuff that applies to any deer. Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't be afraid to fail. Shoot the first thing that comes along and work your way up. But the most important thing is have fun out there and don't put pressure on yourself, don't by into needing gadgets and stay positive. Good luck hope u stick with it!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:24 pm

The internet has also made some of our goals, myself included, very unrealistic. The area I hunt are very low deer density. There are decent bucks, but there are not booners running around. Ive ran cameras since Jan. I spring scout, summer prep, fall scout/hunt and still have rough gos of hunting bucks annually. But, I love it. I dont just love it..I live for it. I got so frustrated years ago I started a Missouri trip each year. Same hunter, same tactics, and very different results. I see 8-10 bucks a year on my Indiana spots. I see 8-10 bucks a day in Missouri. You gotta be where deer, and big deer, live to killbig feer consistently. Good luck.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:51 pm

Hunting and killing are two very different things... When you have not killed a deer you think its the most important thing. When in reality, its the quest, the trials, and the failures that build a man. I don't think anyone here cares if you kill a buck or not. And, I personally have a lot of respect for someone who keeps his morals, follows the rules, and never gives up, over someone who cuts corners, cheats, or quits.

Hunting is not killing, Its a way of life. Its what we do. Its our common bond. its not about bringing food home (you could buy a lot more beef for what it costs to kill a deer)

Stand up, brush yourself off, and get back out there. Its supposed to be fun. Enjoy your time in the woods.

I would rather be lost in a swamp at midnight, cold and wet, creating an adventure, than sitting on a bar stool talking about it. Live life brother. Its not about the kill, its the path you take to get there.
CRK925
Facebook: don't have facebook

Unread postby CRK925 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:27 pm

I'll echo what others have said. Hunting is not about killing.

Hunting to me is becoming one with nature. As a hunter, you spend a couple of days or weeks every year in the woods, hoping to outsmart and out maneuver an animal that spends 365 days a year there. In order to be a successful hunter, you must be either really lucky or become a student of nature.

It's all about learning the who, what, where, how and why of exactly how a deer lives it's life. This is what keeps me coming back. Don't focus on the kill, focus on the process to get there. And be greatful for the opportunity to participate in that process.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:06 am

I agree with what the other guys are saying too. Try to enjoy yourself. But I understand it’s not easy when you’re frustrated and pressing to get on deer. We’ve all been there.
Don’t take this the wrong way...BUT, you’re doing something wrong. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is SLOW DOWN. Get in the woods early. Take your time and walk to your spots slowly. Slow=quiet. Slow your mind down, look for sign and use beast skills to tell you where to set up. Slow mind= a more observant hunter. Look for transitions in cover. If you’re in the hills...leeward side of the hill, look for washouts and other funnels. Stay still on stand. If you’re struggling with putting a mobile stand in a tree, sit on the ground. If your on private, don’t sit in the same stand every day. Pick some milkweed and play the wind right. Sorry if this is repetitive information for you. But again, your doing something fundamentally wrong, so you need to get back to the basics.
If what I just said doesn’t make sense, search on this sight for transitions, leeward Hill sides and funnels. This time of year, you should should see deer. The fawns are wondering around without mom, so you should be seeing them at least, but you have to be in generally the right area first.
If you do these things, then shoot the first deer that presents a shot that you’re comfortable with. Too many guys with little to no experience killing deer wait for the buck of their dreams for their first deer....well it’s usually not gonna happen. We all have to start at the bottom...unless you’re a celebrity hunter’s wife or kid.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:36 am

"I would rather be lost in a swamp at midnight, cold and wet, creating an adventure, than sitting on a bar stool talking about it. Live life brother. Its not about the kill, its the path you take to get there."

That's a great line right there! And yeah, it's all about enjoying the process, the scouting, the mapping, the exercise and being out in nature, the adventure and pushing yourself a little bit further back in the swamp or the forest. Killing has always been the icing on the cake.
sbeasley

Unread postby sbeasley » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:45 am

These are all great answers. I love the woods but this advice helps me too. I bumped into a 3.5 yo face to face on the way in yesterday afternoon. A few minutes sooner and things would have been different. As it was, just A fun experience too see the look on his face. Trying to hold out for something bigger anyhow. Just had a 2.5 yo walk under my tree while typing- I need to pay attention!heard a turkey gobble this morning at sunrise. Birds are chatty this morning- experience it all- live!

Plenty of time to sit on the couch right before you die
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:48 am

Focus on being on the downwind side of thick/doe bedding areas and you are bound to see some deer. Don't go into it but hug the edge and be as quiet as you can.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:25 am

Living in the Great Deer State of NH - NOT...!

Been in your shoes a time or two.
I realized that I was trying too hard for something that was/is marginally within my grasp...

It took me almost 20 years (not a typo) to tag a NH deer.
I've botched many chances during this period.
I wounded a half dozen (archery) as well, learned a lot about the respect for the animal, one of God's creatures.
YES, wish I could take some of those back...

I can say that the last 15 years I've changed dramatically as a hunter...
I've proven that I can kill "deer" but still struggle with anything over 2.5/3.5 year olds.
I've realized that I find myself with an opportunity every 3-4 years for the wall hanger.
Haven't sealed the deal yet...
When will it happen, is when it will happen, just going along for the ride...

I also realize that some factors are out of my control for MY situation / lifestyle, putting a damper on my quest.
Things like:
- Family
- Owning my 3rd company
- Lower deer densities
- Golf
- Etc. (fill in the blank(s))

Undue pressure upon yourself can rob you of the challenge and being one with nature.

Maybe skip a weekend and not feel bad about it.
Sleep in, then take your gun for a walk...
Your mind is a powerful thing once you figure out its between your ears! ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:59 am

dan wrote:Hunting and killing are two very different things... When you have not killed a deer you think its the most important thing. When in reality, its the quest, the trials, and the failures that build a man. I don't think anyone here cares if you kill a buck or not. And, I personally have a lot of respect for someone who keeps his morals, follows the rules, and never gives up, over someone who cuts corners, cheats, or quits.

Hunting is not killing, Its a way of life. Its what we do. Its our common bond. its not about bringing food home (you could buy a lot more beef for what it costs to kill a deer)

Stand up, brush yourself off, and get back out there. Its supposed to be fun. Enjoy your time in the woods.

I would rather be lost in a swamp at midnight, cold and wet, creating an adventure, than sitting on a bar stool talking about it. Live life brother. Its not about the kill, its the path you take to get there.

Well said, Dan! I totally agree!

I am having a very slow season thus far too, and I can sympathize with you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:09 am

might want to change it up a bit. If you aren't even seeing deer you might want to get out there and walk some deery areas and bust them out to figure out where they are. It's not the best move for this season but you'll get great Intel for future seasons.

Are you hunting the same property? If so explore some new stuff. Run cameras. Hunting is a lot about the journey and building up experiences over many seasons to make you a better hunter.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:30 am

Hunting is not something I do... Its who I am.

There is a guy on this very site who can't walk, and takes a wheel chair into public woods alone for the chance to get a shot. There is another guy whom is effected very badly by lymes, and he pushes past the struggles, to get out there. I have a friend whom was a great hunter (also a member here) in his younger days, he shot game all across the globe, and has incredible stories. Now he has un-curable cancer and can barely walk and barely breathe. He is reduced to barely making it in a one room apartment. Yet, despite the doctors, despite the people telling him to stop, he crawls his way out there knowing well that it would be near impossible for him to get even a fawn... He risks his life to hunt. Why? Cause he is a hunter. He has no choice. Its who and what he is.

In my trade people call me a machinist. But Im not, Im a hunter who machines... Your either a hunter, or your not. Wether or not you kill something has nothing to do with it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”