Close to calling it quits

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

d_rek

Re: Close to calling it quits

Unread postby d_rek » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:07 am

Maybe try hunting some other game species? Small game, turkey, waterfowl... anything to build up some confidence! Don't be afraid to hunt with a buddy either. Shoot... you gotta have some friends or family that can set you up in a blind or stand where you can whack even a yearling? Don't worry about killing big deer early on... just kill any deer! Though killing is not the whole of hunting, that first kill is important as your development as a hunter.

Personally I find small game and turkey hunting to be as enjoyable as deer hunting. Though, again, It's not about the killing. It's about spending time outdoors and sharing time with friends and family.

Keep your chin up. It'll happen!

"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:54 am

If you are ever around Alabama, let me know. I will help you get the monkey off your back. I'm not trying to act like Jackie bushman, but we'll kill something. Haha!! Good luck to you man. Hang in there!
Babscanes

Unread postby Babscanes » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:21 pm

Don’t give up man. Just had the worst week of hunting in my life. Super frustrating cause I live for this and every deer i get is a struggle compared to my buddy’s

I’m fortunate to hunt a good area for my crappy state. NY but even w that i only get a shot at a good buck every couple of years while others hammer them all the time

For the last week I’ve been home trying to figure it out and realized My mistakes. So this Friday when I get back out there I’m going in blind to an area I scouted this spring and having FUN. I’m excited just wondering what might happen.

Whenever i get bummed I go to a new spot because i find that to be the most fun for me. It should be fun
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:43 am

Hunting is not about the kill for me it is about finding my inner peace. The woods cleanse and take away all the stress and frustrations in daily life the woods are my outlet my freedom.

Taking a deep breath in the freezing forest there's no feeling quite like it.

Nothing on earth gets my heart going like deer hunting.I could never stop doing it it's just what I love and who I am I think many on the beast feel the same way.

It's your choice how much pressure you want to put on yourself but all that pressure is only what you make it. Don't judge based upon how many deer you see. When your in the woods it's your adventure relax and enjoy natures beauty.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:16 am

If I were you I would cut way back on hunting. Reduce the stress of killing a deer. Then I would take part in any gun season your state offers because you can reach out to farther yardages to kill a deer. And I would kill ANY deer. In addition, create a bond with another hunter so you can bounce ideas off each other and express your feelings and experiences with one another. Those relationships are priceless. Just start building up your confidence again.

In my experience....

My good friend and I started these tactics about 1.5 ago. We have been down on our deer sightings most of the fall. Pushing hard to find success with a kill.

Whats worse is you see all the big buck pictures online. You start putting pressure on yourself and you feel like your not adequate. In all reality, we all only get a few moments in time each fall to capitalize on a mature buck. I keep telling myself that beast tactics will prevail and it will be the ultimate killing moment. Because you have scouted post season, scouted in season and are outsmarting a buck in his bedroom. Instead of hoping a big buck will walk by your stand.

I keep reiterating to myself and my buddy. Its all about patience and experience. I hear Dan talking about the journey of deer hunting. Wholeheartedly, believe in the blue collar hunting. No scent control no gimmicks.

Thank you for starting this topic. It helps us all to evaluate our situations and be thoughtful.
MIbuckmaster14

Unread postby MIbuckmaster14 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:35 am

DaHunter wrote:
dirt nap giver wrote:I see from your profile that you live in a big city.
If I may, are you hunting private or public land?
How far from GR do you drive to hunt?

Based off your geographic location, Unless you have prime private land, odds are, the deck is stacked heavily against you for this reason alone.

You couldn’t pay me to hunt within an hour of where you live.

I hunt the same area and know what you're saying.... BUT there are a lot of deer to be seen/had. Mature bucks are a whole different story of course, but over the last few days I have seen 4 different 1.5/2.5 yr olds cruising less than 1/4 mile from a road. You just have to be in the right spot. Does are everywhere, if he just wants 'a deer' in general. Once gun season hits, forget it. :lol:

What counties do you guys hunt in?
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 am

MIbuckmaster14 wrote:
DaHunter wrote:

Based off your geographic location, Unless you have prime private land, odds are, the deck is stacked heavily against you for this reason alone.

I hunt the same area and know what you're saying.... BUT there are a lot of deer to be seen/had. Mature bucks are a whole different story of course, but over the last few days I have seen 4 different 1.5/2.5 yr olds cruising less than 1/4 mile from a road. You just have to be in the right spot. Does are everywhere, if he just wants 'a deer' in general. Once gun season hits, forget it. :lol:

I hunt Barry county. You?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:30 am

This is truly a great subject for sure. The biggest thing that I know if you keep doing the same thing and the results aren't good you have to change up what you are doing or the results will be the same. I killed a buck this year, but it took 36 days of grinding to get it done. No one ever said it is easy. I know you've never heard me say it is easy. Life in general is not easy.

Go out there and enjoy the birds and other wild life, that is what it is all about. Sometimes trying too hard leads to failure. As long as your name and picture aren't in the obituaries you are doing great in life. Don't spend your life in a negative frame of mind. Enjoy every moment you have on this earth. Live your life to the fullest. Who cares if you don't kill a big buck. Life is good.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
MIbuckmaster14

Unread postby MIbuckmaster14 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:36 am

DaHunter wrote:
MIbuckmaster14 wrote:
DaHunter wrote:

I hunt Barry county. You?

Branch and calhoun, not too far.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:21 pm

MIbuckmaster14 wrote:
DaHunter wrote:

Allegan
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Bud TN

Unread postby Bud TN » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:20 am

Don't give up! I was in your very same shoes! It took me 17yrs to kill my first deer. It was 20 years before I killed my first spike buck!
It was such a huge burden that I carried around with me from year to year. I got to where I hated to talk about hunting. In the last couple years before I connected with my first doe, I had given up hope too.
You just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep in mind that you can't kill you them if your not in the woods. I still say this to myself when I get frustrated.

Keep going and never stop trying or never stop learning! Enjoy the woods that were created just for you! You will break ice soon and it will be like nothing you've ever experienced! :dance:
Newhunter
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/newhunter621

Unread postby Newhunter » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:36 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I have to ask, what is it about hunting that u like? Some call it a sport, I don't I think its a instinct. Some have it some don't. But in the terms of sport I got a lot of buddies who play golf, I suck at golf there for I don't play. But I know others who are worse then me who still go every weekend and have a great time. If u enjoy hunting and not just out there bored out of your mind trying to kill something stick with it and u will get better and become very proficient. I think to be good at something you have to luv it, else it feels to much like work and u won't do what it takes to become successful. I also see a problem amongst alot of guys who have baught hook line and sinker the tatics and success portrayed on tv. There's a lot of pure garbage out there to sift through. No offense but if u have gone 15 years without getting any action scrap whatever u r doing and start over. I know most info on here is geared towards big bucks, but there's some stuff that applies to any deer. Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't be afraid to fail. Shoot the first thing that comes along and work your way up. But the most important thing is have fun out there and don't put pressure on yourself, don't by into needing gadgets and stay positive. Good luck hope u stick with it!

I try very hard not to put pressure on myself, and for the most part, I don't. The reasons I hit the woods year after year is I find it very relaxing, I enjoy being out. I have fun, but I beat myself up over the fact that no matter how much scouting, and time on stand I put in I see nothing and I cannot figure why. All the sign is there, but no deer. I'm not a rack hunter, I simply would like to fill the freezer.
I am who I am, like it, love it or leave it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130948647591174/
Newhunter
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/newhunter621

Unread postby Newhunter » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:19 am

I have read most of the replies and realize I do push myself a bit too hard (my wife says that too). I never had anyone show me what to do, what to look for, or where to find it. I've been learning as I go and trying to put it all together. After seriously thinking about it, quiting isn't an option. I enjoy being out there too much, even when I don't see anything. The ridicule from others is where it becomes too much for me. I hunt public land, which is rough, but better than nothing at all. I was fortunate to be able to sit a stand on my stepbrother's uncle's property. I'm hoping to get that privilege again next season. I don't chase big bucks, I've always thought those to be an earned bonus. I have no problem shooting a small (legal) buck, and most certainly would when the opportunity presents itself. Over the spring and summer next year I am going to be looking at areas north of me. I'll keep you all posted.

Thank you all for the lift.
I am who I am, like it, love it or leave it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130948647591174/
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:30 am

Never hunt for other people or try to meet their expectations. Who cares what anybody else thinks.......hunt for yourself and nobody else.

Good luck and hang in there. Success will come if you keep putting in the effort. Most important thing to remember is enjoy the journey because it makes the success that much sweeter.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:24 am

Can I have your tags? ;) :lol:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”