Scrapes and bucks visiting them

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Scrapes and bucks visiting them

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:33 pm

So I have a question about scrapes and bucks visiting them. It seems bucks like to make/hit scrapes mostly at night or so I've read... I've had a small 6pt regularly checking a scrape/licking branch at last light or the wee hours of the morning and it made me wonder do bucks check majority of the scrapes in their area at some point? or do they have ones in particular that they like and keep an eye on?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Scrapes and bucks visiting them

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:14 pm

I'm not much of a scrape guy the only ones I will sit are the ones sandwhiched inbetween 2 mature bucks rut bedding. I have seen a lot of them while post season scouting and it appeared to me a lot of them were where does crossed his trail. I think a lot of them are made from just boredom and aggression. I have seen while on stand young bucks make up to 10 scrapes just laid out random, so I conclude the younger 1.5s don't really know what the heck there doing, just copying what they saw the big guy do and laying them down all over the countryside. Hopefully someone else can chime in and give ya some better info these are just my observations so take them with a grain of salt.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:31 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:I'm not much of a scrape guy the only ones I will sit are the ones sandwhiched inbetween 2 mature bucks rut bedding. I have seen a lot of them while post season scouting and it appeared to me a lot of them were where does crossed his trail. I think a lot of them are made from just boredom and aggression. I have seen while on stand young bucks make up to 10 scrapes just laid out random, so I conclude the younger 1.5s don't really know what the heck there doing, just copying what they saw the big guy do and laying them down all over the countryside. Hopefully someone else can chime in and give ya some better info these are just my observations so take them with a grain of salt.

I’ve seen the same thing. Some scrapes in annual spots and look strategic. Others look like a buck was trying to repeat those after a day of drinking.

One spot I hunted that is very thick and void of human pressure has scrapes everywhere. All made and touched up at night. Once I saw that, I stopped getting excited over scrapes. Kinda like rubs. Take the info you can get but don’t live on top of them
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:52 pm

Say you have 300 acres and 50 scrapes, im just wondering if a buck will make his way around to most of them and check them out or if they'll only visit certain ones. I don't usually hunt them and I know most on here don't either. It was just a thought that came to mind.
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:00 am

They maybe checking them from 100 yards away. If they do not smell anybody new then there is no need to actually visit it.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:02 am

I've seen bucks hitting scrapes like mentioned I think they have to be in the right location thick near bedding

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”