Ideal Rut Hunting Set Up

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

via47126
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cass.via.3

Ideal Rut Hunting Set Up

Unread postby via47126 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:16 am

Since the rut is coming up in many states whats is everyone's ideal rut set up?

Kevin2

Re: Ideal Rut Hunting Set Up

Unread postby Kevin2 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:31 am

I'm set up East of a long term super dense doe bedding area with green fields on 3 sides AND a pinch that leads to another bedding wood lot that it connected to a travel corridor via a small river valley. I'm at the pinch which gets action from the additional pinch to the east as well. I don't see an enormous amount of bucks, but I do get at least a dozen bucks inside 30 yards in my sits this coming weeks. NOT always able to get the shot on them, as they are moving quickly sometimes. I started putting up doe decoys last year inside the pinch to stop them AND give them something to look at once I call to them. Worked a few times.
"Hunt and let Hunt" my new saying...
Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Ideal Rut Hunting Set Up

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:07 pm

My ideal set up is in a spot that hasn't seen any intrusion since my post season scouting. A spot where last years trail camera revealed a plethora of mature bucks using it throughout all phases of the rut. In a spot where multiple travel corridors squeeze down to one tight spot. I will set 2 or 3 stands in the same spot directly across from each other using the same shot lanes. If the wind changes I scoot over to the other one. I place a mock scrape at this spot to stop any cruisers and position his head behind a bush for a easy draw and a high odds shot.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”