Multiple Buck Beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brandon
500 Club

Multiple Buck Beds

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:39 am

I stole this quote from Dan on another thread...

"Remember though, that most beds are not used by one single buck, but rather multiple bucks bed there, just not at the same time. And, any particular buck will have many beds, not just one or two..."

Can we go more in depth about what this means? Why, When, and more specifics on buck bedding habits.

Thanks... this isnt just for Dan, anyone hunting beds chime in! :mrgreen:

You can't kill em on the couch
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Re: Multiple Buck Beds

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:47 am

I'll add another question to this topic right off the bat. I was just thinking about buck beds a couple days ago, and it got me wondering why young bucks dont bed in these places we think of as "big buck beds". Dont they have the survival instincts to find good places to bed as well? Im assuming they arent stupid enough to bed in just any ol' place, and they certainly have to find some good hideouts or they wouldnt end up being one of those mature deer.

Do they find these "big buck beds" also, but get kicked out by larger bucks, or how does that work? And then where do they go?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:34 am

cornfedkiller wrote:I'll add another question to this topic right off the bat. I was just thinking about buck beds a couple days ago, and it got me wondering why young bucks dont bed in these places we think of as "big buck beds". Dont they have the survival instincts to find good places to bed as well? Im assuming they arent stupid enough to bed in just any ol' place, and they certainly have to find some good hideouts or they wouldnt end up being one of those mature deer.

Do they find these "big buck beds" also, but get kicked out by larger bucks, or how does that work? And then where do they go?

I will try and take a stab at this one. To start I think the young bucks will generally stay away because they know the big bucks are there and they don't want to mess with them.

I have seen young bucks that bed wherever and others that bed way back in areas around the mature bucks but not neccessarily near them. In both cases they appear to be the same young/dumb bucks but choice of bedding might show higher intelligence.

Now I have also seen young bucks who manage to buddie up to older mature bucks, I would guess these bucks have a better chance at survival but I think the rut can be the great equalizer. It seems many bucks old and young can find a way to get shot during the rut so in a lot of cases it might just be the luck of the draw. You go right you are dead, you go left you sneak through a crack and live another day.

I would guess that young bucks who hang with older bucks or at least show the same traits as older bucks have a higher survival percentage but I don't know how much.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:42 am

My take is that there are only so many prime places. Certain spots that have the right ingredients for survival. The older bucks all know these spots, and take them. The younger bucks either haven't figured out the safest, best spots, or they get kicked out of them by the bigger bucks. If a spot is un occupied, the buck can scent check to see if it's used, and either leave(if he's subordinate) or fight for it, or just plain intimidate a lesser animal.

Rubs are also used by all bucks, not just the maker of them.

Just like the biggest trout are in the deeper best pools. Catch that trout, and another will take over that prime spot.

I think all animals have a "pecking order". The heathyest, biggest specimens get the best spots.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:57 am

darn it.... hijacked my thread.

I took the quote from another users thread so I didnt hijack his... and mine got hijacked instantly. :lol:

Feel free to start threads when you have a question different from the thread your posting in.... thanks
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:00 am

Sorry for hijacking Brandon..I figured it was close enough to the original topic to discuss both, and didnt mean to take away from your original question.

Like the OP, I too would like more information on the topic he posted, so lets talk about that here!
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:03 am

cornfedkiller wrote:Sorry for hijacking Brandon..I figured it was close enough to the original topic to discuss both, and didnt mean to take away from your original question.

Like the OP, I too would like more information on the topic he posted, so lets talk about that here!

both great topics and discussions.... no harm here... as long as I get replies to my original post. :mrgreen:

Im speaking about mature bucks only in my question.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:24 am

Brandon wrote:I stole this quote from Dan on another thread...

"Remember though, that most beds are not used by one single buck, but rather multiple bucks bed there, just not at the same time. And, any particular buck will have many beds, not just one or two..."

Can we go more in depth about what this means? Why, When, and more specifics on buck bedding habits.

Thanks... this isnt just for Dan, anyone hunting beds chime in! :mrgreen:

The reason I made that comment is because I constantly read comments where people refer to a particlar bed as a certain bucks bed. I can't tell you how many times I set up on a buck bedding area and a buck different than the one I am after.
And the next time I hunt there a totally different buck rolls out... Why? My thoughts are the same as Spysars. There are only so many spots that have the correct ingrediants for a mature buck to bed there.
Bucks have a tendancy to bed in the same spot for several days in a row, and then on a change of wind direction, a change of food preferances, or who knows why they change spots for a day or two, or longer.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:30 am

I will add what I can about your question. Im no expert, so take this for what its worth.. I dont know exactly why one deer would be bedding there when the deer that had been using that particular bed leaves (on a day to day basis), because I would think a change in the preferred food source, the wrong wind, etc would be the reason a buck would move to a different bed, so Im not sure why a different buck would bed there..

Maybe the preferred food source is different from deer to deer?? A buck may bed there for a couple days, a week, whatever, and then move somewhere else. After that, another deer might start eating in that field or find some acorns nearby and start using that bed.

Another scenario I can think of is if the deer that has been bedding there got spooked off or bumped, a new deer might move in a couple days later (maybe after a rain and the scent is gone or something).

Also, if a buck gets killed or dies, another buck will come in and use those beds if he finds them..

I dont see the bedding change between multiple deer from day to day, but maybe they do?? There are people on this site who are much better suited to answer that than me.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:45 am

dan wrote: There are only so many spots that have the correct ingrediants for a mature buck to bed there.
This...I can show you a bed that has been used every year for 15 years now.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:04 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:I was just thinking about buck beds a couple days ago, and it got me wondering why young bucks don't bed in these places we think of as "big buck beds".
There still doing exactly what they where taught to do by there mother and the doe unit they where attached to for a year and a half.

They learn to cover there own after a couple years of being on there own and running with the bachelor groups.
Don't they have the survival instincts to find good places to bed as well?
The way a mature buck bed's has nothing to do with instincts. Its a learned behaver over time...a lone buck cant rely on multiple noses, eyes and ears they have to learn to cover there own .
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:10 pm

This is why I frequent this site more than others! Great thread. The knowlegde Ive gained from Dan, Autumn Ninja, Spysar, Zap, and others are priceless.

I would assume that "most" of the time a mature buck would be bedded in these "preferred" beds when things (food,cover,pressure,wind) are most in favor for that bed. A secondary buck in the area would take a secondary bed so to speak?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:51 am

Not really answering a question, just making a related statment.
The public marsh behind my house used to be full of huge bucks. Shining the 3300 acres into the crop fields that surround it would show dozens of P&Y class animals and several B&C class animals on most summer mornings a few hours before daylight.
Back then I guided deer hunters and would hunt the staging areas close toi bedding. In a 3 day hunt, about 1 out of every 3 hunters would get an opertunity at a gross P&Y or better... On my personal hunts I passed on many P&Y animals.
There were certain primary bedding areas that would produce a buck every time hunted if a guy left it alone for a month in between hunts. There was tons of young bucks, but the primary beds would generally produce bigger bucks.
Now... The WDNR used CWD as an excuse to slaughter our herd.
The deer population is way down from what it was. I can shine and see 3 or 4 deer, sometimes none, in the whole 3300 acres.
Now I can hunt 20 bedding areas without seeing a deer, and when I do see one it might be a 1 or 2 year old buck.
My point is, the effectivness and what you see when using these tactics is very relitive to your population, and your mature buck ratio.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:31 am

makes total sense as always... thanks again! 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”