How do bucks enter marsh bedding?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ol_ben

How do bucks enter marsh bedding?

Unread postby ol_ben » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:34 pm

I've got a spot down below where I found two buck bed months ago. I say the northern bed on a North wind a week ago and saw something leave it when it was so dark I could see that something was moving but not what it was. I believe it to be a buck and would like to move in on him tomorrow morning as I've got a cold front and a rare opportunity to get out before work, with little to no prospect of hunting the rest of the weekend due to family obligations. When he comes in to bed, how close is he likely to get to it in the timber (lots of thick/brushy areas within the timber, low pressure area)? Will he J-hook out into the marsh and nose into the wind as he approached the bed? Is there anything that might indicate which way he'd go? There are definitely trails leading right into the marsh to the south from the bed but also trails from both east and west that feed into the north-south trail between beds. Where would you set up?

ChasingFLATS86

Re: How do bucks enter marsh bedding?

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:13 pm

I would think you would really have to know which trail he uses to enter his bed so you could avoid the possibility of him smelling your entrance trail. I would think it would be from down wind that he would enter his bed. So north/south trail. Which direction did he go when he got up? Did he go that way possibly because of food? Maybe does? You might be able to put a pattern together looking at a map. It may give you more confidence in the direction you think he is coming from. If possible I would wait until an afternoon hunt and try to recreate the situation but move to a spot that would place you in the dieection of travel he took before.
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”