Tagged Out In PA

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Tagged Out In PA

Unread postby csoult » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:42 pm

Well I’ve tagged out in PA. I shot a doe and buck on public land and have had a blast doing it.

I took off the first two weeks of November and within an hour and a half I was done. I leave for Ohio on Sunday but I have to say that my thoughts on this are conflicted. For one it’s nice to be done, today I went squirrel hunting, and tomorrow I’m headed to Erie for Steelhead. So that’s fun and not something I’ve had time to do for a while. But.....

As I was walking through the woods squirrel hunting I couldn’t help but feel a little bit of emptiness. I love to be in the stand, and even more so, I love thinking about the next spot, the next hunt.

So I guess it’s bittersweet, but I still have a good week on Ohio public so I can’t complain too much.

Does this happen to you guys when you tag out early?

Mike32
500 Club

Re: Tagged Out In PA

Unread postby Mike32 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:09 pm

Not really, because I'm out doing other things I enjoy. I'll either be fishing for steelhead and brown trout or small game and turkey hunting or I'll get a license and do some Hunting in NY.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:18 am

Yes and no. I like to hunt, but i hate using my vacation time that i can cash out. I like to hunt but generally i make too much of it and it stresses me and makes my life one big rush.

There are years i dont tag out and the grind lasts forever it seems. If i get the chance to be done, i take it, and enjoy it.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:52 am

I know that bitter sweet. It seems like it's worse when you have free time. I started hunting Ny so I could keep it going after getting a pa buck. Whether you get one or not eventually you have to face the empty feeling of archery season ending, good thing is fishing is year round.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:38 am

I always save a week or two off for Nov but I cant keep myself out of the woods... felt it a couple times also due to arrowing bucks early.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:51 am

:clap: :text-worthless:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:04 am

stash59 wrote::clap: :text-worthless:

:lol:

I might get 2 more days to bowhunt this year if my schedule plays out the way I want, so honestly I feel like I tagged out since its pretty much over for me. Kinda feel the way others do, was getting burned out and frustrated, and my season ended actually at a good time. Took a week to reflect, focus on life, and think about why I wasn't enjoying hunting at the end. Now I'm itching to get back out, and have been cyber scouting for next year already. Sometimes you need those moments for things to click and get that fire lit under your doopa to get going again.

Never had the issue to tag out, but I wouldn't ever pass up a good buck because I was scared of tagging out. Always things to do and brownie points to be earned for the offseason scouting, or the following season.

As much as I hate missing the rut, I think in the long run it was a good thing for me actually. Have a pretty big fire lit driving me for next year already, but still looking forward, more than normal to gun season.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:10 am

I've only tagged out a couple of times here, as we get three bucks. Both of those times, I was ready for the break and only a couple weeks to the end of season.

However, I tagged out on my first day of a five day out of state trip this past week. There was definitely an empty feeling, but having never set foot on the place, I used the remaining time to scout my but off for future years.
Greg4579

Unread postby Greg4579 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:20 am

I really feel bad for you csoult :lol: :lol:

2B still has plenty of tags. Come do some suburban sits. For those looking for pics:
http://theopenairproject.com/2017/
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:39 am

Whether my buck tag is punched or not, I almost always watch the sun set on the last day of PA archery season and can't believe that it's over. I so thoroughly enjoy matching wits with mature whitetail bucks and knowing its another 46 weeks until I can get back out doing it again always makes me sad. Yea, there's the late season, spring scouting, map studying, shed hunting, and everything else that goes into it which I enjoy as well but actually sitting in a tree during the fall with a bow in my hand has absolutely no comparison.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:55 pm

Bittersweet for sure. I tagged my buck yesterday, and although I always like to tag one before rifle season, let's just say there was a bit of ground shrinkage. He was the representative PA 8, but running trailcams and having a few more days to hunt ruined that caiber of buck for me.

At the same time I was amped to fill the freezer and I feel pretty good about taking the 22 mag out after some turkeys and squirrels. At least there is 5-6 months of scouting time ahead to get ready for next season.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:59 pm

Congrats csoult!
csoult
500 Club

Unread postby csoult » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:14 am

Thanks! I have had a great week... I got some squirrels on Wednesday, and was able to go steelhead fishing with my fly rod yesterday. Although I still wish I was in the stand. That's ok though, I'll be back in the stand in Ohio on Sunday. So all in all I really can't complain.

csoult
500 Club

Unread postby csoult » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:24 am

Been really busy and haven't had a chance to post the pic. I killed him on public land in PA @ 8:30 on Oct. 30th.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:02 am

Spectacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”