What's your luckiest shot!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

What's your luckiest shot!

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:05 am

I have pulled off afew shots over the years that were the results of nothing more than pure luck. I have ricochet afew of branches that some how ended up in the strike zone. But my personnel all time was last year. I was in a ladder stand I use for observation sits and a doe followed a fence line right to me, I figured what the heck and prepared for a slightly quartering away 20 yard shot. Upon release the bottom of my bow hit that side railing of the ladder and broke the entire tip off. I was hot sitting there looking at my bow cursing. A good 20 min went by and I noticed a white belly where I shot. I paid no attention to where my arrow went upon the crash. But it hit her between the ears in the back of the head and dropped her dead. I took her to the butcher with arrow still embedded and told em that's where I like to shoot em so I don't lose any meat :D

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
ckprax

Re: What's your luckiest shot!

Unread postby ckprax » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:19 pm

My biggest buck was dumb luck. I was young and dumb and would never risk the shot now.

I was on the top of a mountain and spotted a great buck pulling leaves off a tree on the top of a knoll in the bottom of the ravine. I figured it was 400 yards (I only practiced to 200 yards). I didnt own a rangefinder so just a guess. I laid down, put my crosshairs 6" above his back and ripped off a shot with my trusty 30-06. A couple seconds later the buck dropped in his tracks.

I was ecstatic. I gave a good holler and started to make my way down the mountain. When I got to the tree on top of the knoll, I couldn't find a thing. No blood, no hair, no deer. I went over the knoll, down the hill and up the next one. Still no sign.

I go over the second hill and up the next and I spot the buck laying at the base of a tree, staring at me, very much alive. I put a round in his chest. I waited for what felt like minutes and he was still watching me, head up so I put him down with a head shot.

My first shot took out both hips. I feel bad he suffered for 30 minutes till I found him.

I got my dad to help me get the buck out of the woods. He ranged the shot at 650 yards. I had no business taking a shot that far but I got excited. In my haste I ruined a good portion of the hams, the cape and skull.

I regret the shot but have learned some important lessons from the experience.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:32 pm

My first and only kill with the bow. Drew back on a spike at 20 yards, jerked the trigger and missed about 3’ to the left.

Placed it right behind the ear, got exactly the length of the broadhead penetration. He bled out on the spot, died instantly. All you could see was the feathers of my arrow sticking up 3’ in the air.

5 minutes later my dad walked over to ask if I had a flashlight since we were sitting all day and came out early in the morning. Told him I just shot one, he laughed, so I told him I dropped it and left enough arrow out so he could find it easier.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:44 pm

I shot an 8 point with my muzzleloader probably​ 10-12 yrs ago. I dropped him in his tracks. When I walked over to him the was a small sapling with a bullet hole through it. The bullet passed through the sapling and hit him dead in the sweet spot.

I shot another one out at my Dad's property out of a box blind. My limb slapped the window when I shot. I let it lay over night, not knowing​ if I hit him well or bad or missed completely. The next morning I got to my spot n found blood sprayed everywhere. Within 75 yrds I found my buck. The arrow had hit him in the ham severing the femoral artery.

Lastly I shot a buck n just plain pulled when I released. The arrow just grazed his throat. I literally had hit him with just enough broadhead to leave a small 4 inch slice just under his throat patch. It cut his jugular n he went down within site.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:10 pm

The buck in my profile pic. Thought I made a great shot at 30 yds. He bounded out to 47 and stopped. Shot another arrow into him but hit him in the hind quarter. Ran another ten yards and fell down. Left him until morning and found out my first shot was a miss. Never would have took that second shot if I knew I missed. He was out in the cattails and the first looked like money. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky.
Almost a tie would be my first buck. Shot at him at 40 yds with the shotgun. He jumped up and hunched so I thought I hit him in the guts. Gun jammed as he was running away. Slammed the but of the gun in the stand, got another shell in as he was about 100 yds out and fired. He dropped. Went up to him to find the only hole in him was in the back of the head and it took one of the antlers off. Luckily I found it and it made for a very memorable thanksgiving!
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Not sure if it was a lucky shot or what but I killed a buck I think back in 2014 that was rather interesting. I was going to make a head-on shot at 15 yards into his brisket after we had a 3 minute stare down. He wouldn't turn broadside. But right as he turned to bolt away I let the arrow fly and it entered at a sharp angle right in front of his right shoulder blade, and the arrow went completely through him and came out between his pooper and jewels. I guess you can say I ripped him a new one :lol: . He went not even 20 yards and died... I never found the arrow either...
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
CRK925
Facebook: don't have facebook

Unread postby CRK925 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:28 pm

Christmas Eve of 2013 I shot a doe at 17 yards. Due to the extreme cold and snow cover in Northern WI that year, she crept in one step at a time, taking 20 minutes to walk the last 40 feet into my shooting window.

When I let the arrow go, she did a complete 180 and instead of a heart shot, I hit her on the complete opposite side of her body (she did a 180 on the shot)and in the back armpit. Direct hit to the femoral artery, blood sprayed 10 feet up on trees and dead within 30 yards.

She had no teeth and dressed out at 183#. Probably a 6-8 year old doe.
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:29 pm

On Monday I shot a buck and I missed the yardage by 10 yards :doh:. I knew the shot was high and thought for sure it wasn’t a mortally wounding shot. Got down out of the tree and took my stuff back to the truck. Went back to track a deer I thought I’d never find only to find him less than 100 yards away. Man was I lucky.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:48 pm

I like to call it skill... lol

Couple years ago a buddy wanted to try to push a piece across from camp..there was only like 5-6 of us and this piece is pretty dang big.

I was the only sitter that knew the roads so I had to drive the pushers around the block. I was told to basically sit right across the road from camp..

I wasn't thrilled. I came back and actually grabbed some snacks and filled my pockets and slowly wandered across the road. Sat down and leaned my Flintlock on a log and i sat there munching on my snacks

Literally had to drop whatever I was eating as a herd of doe ran straight at me.

They were a few feet from me when I decided to jump up and try to get them to go toward guys with doe tags.

When I did I immediately thought "you dummy...there's probably a buck yet to come...".

No sooner did my but hit the ground and I see a good rack coming. He was going below me...ugh. That's kinda far for me and an awkward shot.. probably 65yds below me..small opening in trees and i physically had to lift my arms and sit up as straight A's possible to get him in my sights and above a boulder.

I did and knew it was now or never.

I touched the Flintlock off and through the smoke I had no idea if I hit him. It slowly cleared and I could see him doing the flop.

The distance I was comfortable with. 65yds with an open sighted Flintlock isn't a chip shot. But I practice with Flintlocks regularly. The awkward position and shooting free hand like that... not lying
.I impressed myself lol.
pilgrimhunter

Unread postby pilgrimhunter » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:50 am

Years ago I was coming home one evening and as I drove up my driveway a doe ran across the lane and into the woods. It stop about 30 yards up the steep bank above my driveway and looked at me. I had my bow in the back seat of the truck saw a grabbed my bow, strapped on my release and slowly got out. There she was still watching me. Light was fading fast and I was struggling to be able to see her good through my peep sight but I thought I had it and squeezed off a shot. She immediately dropped and started thrashing. Because of the steep terrain she flopped her way down the hill and died in my driveway 10 yards behind the truck. That had to be my shortest drag ever. Ended up hitting her in the neck. Should have never took the shot. ....
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:02 am

285 yard rifle kill without a rest. Sitting down with my elbows on my knees. Smoked him right through the heart... doubt I could do that again! Doe came running by right after that and I got her too although she required a follow up shot.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:11 am

Had a little buck take a step right as I released at 25 yards once. Hit Femoral and could see the geyser shoot 10 feet in the air from my stand. Basically died on the spot. Most gruesome seen I've ever walked up on. Blood everywhere.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:15 am

All I'll say is I way under estimated the range to a muley buck. He was on a logging road. I was known as Skippy for awhile after that!!! :doh: :roll: :whistle:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:14 am

When I was I kid tried to stop a small buck would have been a strong quartering away shot so as I tried to stop him I let it fly and he never stopped when we found him he bout 4 inches of my arrow was hanging out in between well his you know what's... :lol:
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:15 am

stash59 wrote:All I'll say is I way under estimated the range to a muley buck. He was on a logging road. I was known as Skippy for awhile after that!!! :doh: :roll: :whistle:

Nice job Skippy, you should meet my brother Trigger. He believes he has the ability to shoot passing geese at 100 yrds plus.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”