What's your luckiest shot!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ghost Hunter

Re: What's your luckiest shot!

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:43 am

I can not think of any lucky shots for me. If we are talking shots that went bad, well I can share some for sure.

I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:50 am

2.5 million blown shots...luckiest...missed twice with muzzleloader in one day I figured the scope must have been nicked and off...I walked and pushed for other guys. I jumped a doe after I went past her I turned saw brown and pulled the trigger..down she went. Perfect headshot..the only headshot I ever registered.
9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:39 pm

I was set up 20' high in a three trunked walnut tree where multiple trails intersected. I was facing south and the buck comes in to my tree from the west. I want him to pass by on the south trail to give me a broadside shot.

He stops at 10 yards, studies my climbing sticks, follows them up the tree and locks eyes with me. I'm right handed and set up for a shot to the south or east. Finally I flinch. He starts backing up away from the tree still only offering a shot straight on at his chest or neck.
He backs up to about 20 yards and then decides to start running to the north.

Right as he starts running, I flip my crossbow from right hand to left hand and get the scope on him. He catches my movement, and does the slightest stop to look back up at me. At that moment I got on his vitals and pull the trigger for a perfect shot left handed on the fly.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:11 pm

I shot a hog running at 20yds with a recurve. Perfect double lung. The guy I was hunting with I still shoot with in my winter trad league. He saw the shot and the first night of the league every year he brings it up. Probably the luckiest shot I ever made.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:53 pm

CRK925 wrote:Christmas Eve of 2013 I shot a doe at 17 yards. Due to the extreme cold and snow cover in Northern WI that year, she crept in one step at a time, taking 20 minutes to walk the last 40 feet into my shooting window.

When I let the arrow go, she did a complete 180 and instead of a heart shot, I hit her on the complete opposite side of her body (she did a 180 on the shot)and in the back armpit. Direct hit to the femoral artery, blood sprayed 10 feet up on trees and dead within 30 yards.

She had no teeth and dressed out at 183#. Probably a 6-8 year old doe.

I've heard of this more than once. One guy said he shot a doe, she spun and the arrow came back his way!

My best shot was 25+ yrs ago - a doe running with 20 ft bounds about 150 yards with a rifle - got the crosshairs even with her nose and let the 30-06 bark, she did a complete somersault and never moved - hit her in the forward part of the chest.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:36 am

Not sure it was really a lucky shot, but I was pretty dang proud/surprised I made it :lol: Was hunting in a complete blizzard just still hunting along with my TC Encore ML. I somehow spotted a deer 160 yards away walking a bench above me. I took a rest on a tree and the snow was coming down so hard I could just make out grey shapes walking on the side of the hill. One of them I could count three points up and knew it was a shooter. I aimed about where I figured the kill zone to be and let the gun bark. When the smoke cleared I couldnt see anything! I started making my way up the hill and the snow had already covered any sign, but laying there covered in a fresh layer of snow with only the rack sticking out was a nice five pointer! :lol: I had hit that buck right through the heart and he dropped right there. By the time I got him off the hill and back to the house we had well over a foot of snow and it was still coming down. Awesome memory!
BKMississippi

Unread postby BKMississippi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:47 pm

I spined the deer in my photo. I misjudged the distance. He was down but I wanted to put another arrow in him. I tried to scurry down the tree but forgot to disconnect my safety harness. I felt like I had been in a minor automobile accident for a day or two.
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:41 pm

A couple years back I was hunting a field edge and there were a lot of tall horse weeds growing along the edge. I was up probably 20 ft, but still couldn't see very far down the field edge. Well, I noticed some turkeys heading my way further down the field, but knew I wouldn't be able to see them again until they were within bow range. When I see the birds they are within 40 yards, so I draw back so that they don't bust me. Well, they kept picking around and were just a few feet from giving me a shot. One finally stepped out and I took a shot. Well, my arrow caught a horse weed and I missed. They took off and I just stood there. I started to hear some rustling around and could make out something moving along the field edge behind the horse weeds. Turns out that when my arrow hit the horse weed, it deflected back behind the bird I shot at and slit another ones throat that I couldn't see. Talk about being surprised to see that turkey start flopping.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”