Southern buck bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Divergent
500 Club

Re: Southern buck bedding

Unread postby Divergent » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:04 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:
SE_trad_hunter wrote:Tracy, I'm in upstate SC as well and hunt WMA. I have a few cutovers that have me going in circles. I have found 2 beds that meet the textbook worn to the ground look after scouting over 100 miles. It's difficult, especially when you walk through an area and can find hundreds of beds if you have the time. I don't have your answer, as these rolling hills are tough. From what I've read here on the beast, it's not uncommon elsewhere to find areas that have lots of beds and the common tactic is to sit an observation stand. My issue with that is that it is so thick, you can't sit back and observe. I've been after a buck that's on WMA in the upstate that will go 130" and looks to be at least 4.5 yrs old. My best guess is to find the sign that a big one is in there, and aggressively go as close as you can into the area when the wind is right. I'm still learning too, so take it with a grain of salt.

I think your key words that stuck to me was “ rolling hills” rolling hill ground is very hard to have a consistent one prime wore to dirt bed thats used daily. If you find the right threads, they talk about wind speed being the determining factor for bedding location. I think this is what throws alot of people off. Rolling hills are where a prime worn bed becomes a prime bedding area, and that area can be spread out with alot less consistently. As far as thick cut overs. There are areas that get used more than others. I dont know how big your cut overs are but to me smaller cuts like 50 or less acres or so bedding would be closer to the out side edges if they are super thick. Bigger areas like 4 or 500 acres+ spots i would think that there would have to be some type of vegetation transition or breaks or opens spots of some sorts that would be keyto finding bedding inside,with out scouting, aerials would be the only way to tell on things like that. This is just what i think , take it for whats its worth.

^^This

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”